PDA

View Full Version : Dozens of GOP delegates launch new push to halt Donald Trump

CPUd
06-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Dozens of GOP delegates launch new push to halt Donald Trump

Dozens of Republican convention delegates are hatching a new plan to block Donald Trump at this summer’s party meetings, in what has become the most organized effort so far to stop the businessman from becoming the GOP nominee.

The moves come amid declining poll numbers for Trump and growing concerns among Republicans that Trump is squandering his chance to defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton. Several controversies — including his racial attacks on a federal judge, renewing his call to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the United States and support for changing the nation’s gun laws — have raised concerns among Republicans that Trump is not really a conservative and is too reckless to run a successful race.

Given the strife, a growing group of anti-Trump delegates are convinced that enough like-minded Republicans will band together in the next month to change party rules and allow delegates to vote for whomever they want, regardless of who won state caucuses and primaries.

The new push is being run by the only people who can actually make changes to party rules, rather than by pundits and media figures who have been pining for a Trump alternative. Many of the delegates involved supported Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas in the primary but say they are not taking cues from any of Trump’s vanquished opponents.

“This literally is an ‘Anybody but Trump’ movement,” said Kendal Unruh, a Republican delegate from Colorado who is leading the campaign. “Nobody has any idea who is going to step in and be the nominee, but we’re not worried about that. We’re just doing that job to make sure that he’s not the face of our party.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dozens-of-gop-delegates-launch-new-push-to-halt-donald-trump/2016/06/17/e8dcf74e-3491-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

puppetmaster
06-17-2016, 03:33 PM
The gop establishment is sad

CPUd
06-17-2016, 04:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8V9f38hqJ4

acptulsa
06-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Well, come on, Trump trolls.

The neocons have been very publicly whining about Trump (even as they gave him nonstop coverage, money, and all of his advisors) all this time so you could take this cue.

When rank-and-file Republicans finally woke up to the fact that he was a ringer in it to offend as many voters as he could and lose, you were supposed to jump up and holler, 'Oh, that's just the neocons whining again! Pay no attention, nothing to see here! Move along!'

Are they really this late with the memo? Well, I'm sure you'll get your orders within a few days.

jllundqu
06-17-2016, 04:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8V9f38hqJ4

I think this is wishful thinking. I don't see the RNC doing anything. I don't think the delegates will do a damn thing either. Plus... who would the delegates nominate to replace Trump?

No one.

jllundqu
06-17-2016, 05:02 PM
I think this is wishful thinking. I don't see the RNC doing anything. I don't think the delegates will do a damn thing either. Plus... who would the delegates nominate to replace Trump?

No one.

Although I would LOOOOOOVE to watch a contested convention or some RNC shenanigans in Cleveland... would love to watch the GOP perform national seppuku and spark riots from enraged Trump zombies

CaptUSA
06-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Yep. Too late. They had their chance. Now they can suffer with Hillary and house and senate losses.

CPUd
06-17-2016, 05:14 PM
First on CNN: Priebus probes state GOP leaders over anti-Trump push

(CNN)Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus has been quietly having conversations with state party leaders to discuss the latest push by convention delegates to nominate anyone other than Donald Trump.

Priebus has spoken with GOP party chairmen in multiple states in recent days in part to get a better sense of how large the anti-Trump faction is among their convention delegations, according to two people familiar with the conversations.

While Priebus has made clear in these conversations that he is not spearheading the latest push for a coup, his involvement sends a signal that the RNC is taking this effort to dump Trump seriously even as other movements have fizzled.

One source said Priebus' ultimate goal is unclear. But some anti-Trump forces are hoping to garner enough support to press the convention's rules committee to alter the rules governing the convention and open a path for a different candidate.

Sean Spicer, the RNC's chief strategist and communications director, disputed the notion that Priebus was actively reaching out to party chairmen.

"This is not an accurate understanding of what's happening," Spicer said. "Lots of people have conversations and ask questions of the chairman."

The conversations between Priebus and state leaders come as frustration and mistrust continues to linger between the RNC and the Trump campaign, according to people familiar with the situation.

On Thursday, Priebus, who traveled with Trump to Texas, fired off a tweet aiming to calm the chatter, saying, "Reports of discord are pure fiction."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/17/politics/reince-priebus-donald-trump-republican-convention/index.html