PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Drug laws/enforcement cause more deaths

tod evans
06-01-2016, 06:24 AM
Dogs sniffing patrons and overzealous enforcement have caused concert goers to move from wine-n-weed like when I was young, to easily disguised chemical cocktails in order to fully embrace the music.

I place blame for the deaths of these people squarely on the anti-drug warriors shoulders. :mad:

At least 2 dead and nearly 60 others hospitalized after Florida music festival

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/01/at-least-2-dead-and-nearly-60-others-hospitalized-after-florida-music-festival.html?intcmp=hpbt3

At least two people died and 57 more were hospitalized after attending a music festival in Florida over the weekend, authorities said Tuesday.

Tampa police said in a news release that a 22-year-old Melbourne man and a 21-year-old Kissimmee woman were hospitalized Saturday after attending the Sunset Music Festival at Raymond James Stadium. The man died Sunday and the woman died Monday.

According to Fox 13 News, an investigation was underway to determine the cause of the deaths and the reasons why nearly 60 other concertgoers were hospitalized.

The mother of the woman who died after the festival told Fox 13 News Tuesday that she didn’t think her daughter was a heavy drug user, though hospital staff said the deaths could have been caused by a drug overdose.

"We don't know (what happened). They have an autopsy going on," the woman’s mother said. "The hospital didn't know, they were bewildered with how to treat this."

Florida Poison Control said officials are trying to match the symptoms of those who were hospitalized with possible drug sources, according to Fox 13 News.

Police also reported 25 felony arrests, eight misdemeanor arrests and 16 marijuana civil citations at the festival.

Tampa police said drug-sniffing dogs were hired by the organizers of the music festival to screen people at the door.

"This year, they did more than they did the previous year," Officer Steve Hegarty said. "I don't know what plans they have for next year, but they are going to be well aware of the numbers we had this year."

specsaregood
06-01-2016, 08:04 AM
I was just using this as an example this morning where they should allow vendors to legally sell N2O ballons at these types of events. I mean, I can't see many people keeling over or going to the hospital from enjoying a hippie crack balloon out in the fresh air.

tod evans
06-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Wales, similar type party, no kops, no deaths.......

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/7186771/Ravers-return-Locals-left-furious-as-nineties-style-underground-party-floods-rural-scenery-with-drug-fuelled-crowd-for-THREE-days-while-cops-do-NOTHING.html

Matt Collins
06-01-2016, 01:06 PM
As usual, shoddy reporting....

This was a rave which meant a lot of molly / ecstasy. Out in the sun, in the Florida heat, that is bad news. You can get cooked before you feel what's going on.

This has nothing to do with law enforcement.

Matt Collins
06-01-2016, 01:08 PM
And then there is this sort of thing, which gives splinters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzFZ9L_rug

muh_roads
06-01-2016, 01:08 PM

This was a rave which meant a lot of molly / ecstasy. Out in the sun, in the Florida heat, that is bad news. You can get cooked before you feel what's going on.

Cops did the right thing. Kill people before the molly does.

tod evans
06-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Oh bullshit Matt.

These deaths and OD's are directly the result of the drug laws and the drug warriors.

I was quite clear in my logic in the first sentence and used the term "anti drug warriors" on purpose so as to encompass everyone involved from the idiot blaming MDMA to the legislators and their enforcement arm.

If you can dispute my logic have a go at it but you're going to have to do better than twisting my words to only address "law enforcement"...

sam1952
06-01-2016, 01:40 PM
I dunno, I thought the girl kissing the tree was hot...

Matt Collins
06-01-2016, 03:20 PM
No, I don't think people use molly and X as an alternative to weed.... I think they use it because it is a much different high than weed. I've worked in the concert industry for over a decade and MANY people at outdoor festivals use weed, if you're smart it's not hard to sneak it in. I am sure that a lot of people at this even were smoking weed too.

Now if you want to talk about crystal meth, then yeah, that is a drug that only exists because other similar drugs are more expensive.

But again, at this event, being a rave, it sounds to me like either someone didn't know how to manage themselves, or a dealer got in there with some faulty product and it got distributed to several people.

presence
06-01-2016, 03:26 PM
a dealer got in there with some faulty product and it got distributed to several people.

If the product was being moved on a white market by reputable local people these things woudln't be an issue.

Nobody dies from faulty cough syrup.