PDA

View Full Version : Special Operations troops assaulted downtown Tampa … all to thunderous applause

tod evans
05-27-2016, 06:12 AM
From Drudge;

Special Operations troops assaulted downtown Tampa … all to thunderous applause

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/05/26/special-operations-troops-assaulted-downtown-tampa-all-to-thunderous-applause/

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2016-05-25/Bloomberg/05329215.jpg&w=1484

TAMPA — On Wednesday, Special Operations troops from more than a dozen countries jumped out of helicopters, rappelled from buildings and expended hundreds of rounds of ammunition as they attempted to rescue the mayor of this Florida city.

The operation was, of course, an exercise, but it was also a public spectacle for a force that has tried desperately to remain in the shadows despite now being at the forefront of America’s wars.

Aside from U.S. Special Operations forces, including Navy SEALs, Marine Raiders and Army Green Berets, countries such as Ireland and Jordan also participated in the exercise. Many of the participants covered their faces, and only a select few were allowed to speak to the media afterward.

“A lot of what we do is a bit secretive, we don’t really advertise much of what we do and there is a reason for it,” U.S. Special Forces Lt. Col. Chris Robeshaw told reporters following the event. “I think … this is maybe a stark reminder that there are young men and women out there putting themselves at risk.”

The exercise is put on each year as a part of the Special Forces Industry Conference, a 12,000-strong, three-day meeting of Special Operations personnel and companies showcasing the latest technologies available to both U.S. troops and their international allies.

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn is captured by pirates and held ashore near the convention center here. Soon after, as thousands of spectators watched from nearby rooftops, party boats and bar patios, Black Hawk helicopters supported by smaller gunships and fast-moving riverine craft descended on the area.

In the background an announcer narrated the operation. “This type of mission would be undertaken during the cover of darkness,” the voice says with a tone that would be fitting for the master of ceremonies for a high school graduation. “The sniper overwatch team is equipped with high-powered rifles that can hit a target from more than a mile away.”

Role players, dressed in black and carrying Kalashnikovs, feigned gunshot wounds as the coalition of commandos swooped in. Luckily, no one had to throw a red smoke grenade to mark the landing zone for a MEDEVAC helicopter or improvise with black Hefty trash bags instead of using body bags; in fact, there were no U.S. or international casualties at all.

For the faux mission’s finale, a rescued Buckhorn was ferried back to shore, firing one of the riverine craft’s blank-shooting .50-caliber machine guns as if he were Rambo incarnate, a smile plastered on his face while being flanked by some of the United States’ most elite war fighters.

With the last blank round of ammunition expended and the clean-up crew quietly picking up shards of a fake rocket-propelled grenade explosion that went off near the deck of a waterfront bar, some of the Special Operations troops came ashore, disembarking from their rigid hull inflatable patrol craft to a throng of people eager to take pictures with them.

According to Special Operations Command officials, the entire 30-minute operation took four days to plan, rehearse and execute. The preparation, for what many in the U.S. military would call a “dog and pony show,” likely took time and resources from a community that is currently deploying at a rate not seen during the last 15 years of war.

“I would say there appears to be a heavy reliance on Special Operations forces, not just us but all of our international allies,” Robeshaw said of current operations around the globe. “I think the deployments really push people to their limits … and I’m always amazed at the perseverance that we all share.”

Matt Collins
05-27-2016, 07:40 AM
There is a rich history here.... you should see what the mayor does during Gasparella; damn dirty pirates

And Tampa's sister city of Key West actually seceded from the Union for a few hours and became the Conch Republic. Their mayor waterskiied to Havana.

pcosmar
05-27-2016, 08:37 AM
There is a rich history here.... you should see what the mayor does during Gasparella; damn dirty pirates

And Tampa's sister city of Key West actually seceded from the Union for a few hours and became the Conch Republic. Their mayor waterskiied to Havana.

The Ex Mayor who water-skied to Cuba,(Sonny McCoy), signed my certificate,, and made me an Honorary Conch.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2228/2405640893_b642e6ba51_b.jpg

There is rich history,, and some of it surprising.
Most Folks don't even know of the little White House.

Monroe County is not like most of Florida,,

Anti Federalist
05-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Pete:

Conk or Conch?

pcosmar
05-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Pete:

Conk or Conch?

Conch= sounds like conk.

Key West=Cayo weso=Bone Island

http://www.lucatarlazzi.com/public/036_pirata_teschio_ossa_01.jpg

Mr Stealth
05-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Murder is so cool! Pew pew decimate all civilians! Oh yeah I just saw a baby explode into pieces Pew Pew GOOOAAALLLLL!!!

edit: the baby did not have ID, there was no way to know for sure that it wasn't a terrorist

phill4paul
05-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Conch= sounds like conk.

Man, I have been jonesin' for some fritters. This reminder did not help.

cajuncocoa
05-27-2016, 11:47 AM
http://bestanimations.com/Flags/USA/usa-american-flag-gif-3.gif

Contumacious
05-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Conch= sounds like conk.

Key West=Cayo weso=Bone Island

http://www.lucatarlazzi.com/public/036_pirata_teschio_ossa_01.jpg

Cayo Hueso

CPUd
05-27-2016, 12:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mRtN0KM.jpg

oyarde
05-27-2016, 01:12 PM
I have a silver bar that has the Flag Of West Florida stamped in it . ( Independant 1803-1821, I think ) .

bunklocoempire
05-27-2016, 02:25 PM
“A lot of what we do is a bit secretive, we don’t really advertise much of what we do and there is a reason for it,” U.S. Special Forces Lt. Col. Chris Robeshaw told reporters following the event. “I think … this is maybe a stark reminder that there are young men and women out there putting themselves at risk.”

I think ... this is maybe a stark reminder that your CHOSEN profession is nothing more than a perpetual trade show paid for by sacrificing my economic liberty.

Go die for your CIC and complete yourself, Chris, or, just simply get your head out of your ass and grow up.

Uriel999
05-27-2016, 05:01 PM
How about instead of bitching about training for war we bitch about actual problems...like actually being at war and stuff...

Yes this is obviously a dog and pony show but it is also a valuable marketing tool that may attract a new generation of sheepdogs.

There is also nothing wrong with training with forces from other nations as it is a positive way to build relationships.

We need a standing army to provide for the common defense. War fighting isn't something you can do by simply putting on cammo, some cool guy gear and carrying a gun.

Militias were a joke during the Revolution and most Americans nowadays are simply pussies that don't have the testicular fortitude to do more than talk a good game on team speak when playing COD.

However, we don't need a MIC. We need money allocated stringently but effectively.

It would be a lot easier to have a truly defensive military with modern diesel electric subs patrolling the coastline, missle shields, etc if we didn't have bases all over the world nor forces in countries we have no business being in.

That isn't to say we shouldn't have military vehicles without long range capabilities it just means we don't need to park our super carriers within spitting distance of Russia, China, etc.

Matt Collins
05-27-2016, 05:27 PM
I have a silver bar that has the Flag Of West Florida stamped in it . ( Independant 1803-1821, I think ) .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Blue_Flag

Danke
05-27-2016, 05:55 PM
How about instead of bitching about training for war we bitch about actual problems...like actually being at war and stuff...

Yes this is obviously a dog and pony show but it is also a valuable marketing tool that may attract a new generation of sheepdogs.

There is also nothing wrong with training with forces from other nations as it is a positive way to build relationships.

We need a standing army to provide for the common defense. War fighting isn't something you can do by simply putting on cammo, some cool guy gear and carrying a gun.

Militias were a joke during the Revolution and most Americans nowadays are simply pussies that don't have the testicular fortitude to do more than talk a good game on team speak when playing COD.

However, we don't need a MIC. We need money allocated stringently but effectively.

It would be a lot easier to have a truly defensive military with modern diesel electric subs patrolling the coastline, middle shields, etc if we didn't have bases all over the world nor forces in countries we have no business being in.

That isn't to say we shouldn't have military vehicles without long range capabilities it just means we don't need to park our super carriers within spitting distance of Russia, China, etc.

Seriously? Are you worried about Canada or Mexico sending troops across the border? The Militia had a role in the Revolutionary war. Maybe that was pooh-poohed in your regular Army experience indoctrination.

A large standing army is not only unconstitutional, it is unnecessary. Any army on the move can be easily wiped out with airpower. Look at the Saddam's Highway of death.

Uriel999
05-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Seriously? Are you worried about Canada or Mexico sending troops across the border? The Militia had a role in the Revolutionary war. Maybe that was pooh-poohed in your regular Army experience indoctrination.

A large standing army is not only unconstitutional, it is unnecessary. Any army on the move can be easily wiped out with airpower. Look at the Saddam's Highway of death.

I was not Army so your point is invalid.

It is the 21st century. Technology has changed and so has war.

Just because it is currently unconstitional doesn't mean it should be.

I am not arguing law, I am arguing reality of the world we face.

And as for Mexico sending troops? I'm not worried about the Mexican government sending troops, I am concerned about the drug lords moving in.

You say air power...fighers and bombers are part of the military.

pcosmar
05-28-2016, 07:57 AM
And as for Mexico sending troops? I'm not worried about the Mexican government sending troops, I am concerned about the drug lords moving in.
I'm not.
Nothing that Legalization would not cure immediately.

Mexico will have to compete with American growers..of course the market will always have a place for cheaper inferior products.

Uriel999
05-28-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm not.
Nothing that Legalization would not cure immediately.

Mexico will have to compete with American growers..of course the market will always have a place for cheaper inferior products.

Legalization would be a fantastic step towards reducing the power of the cartels. Too bad the "drugs are bad mmkay" crowd still has prohibtion going.

I think we should not get caught up in the hypotheticals though, but look at the here and now, and see cartels are a serious problem.

I agree with your solution, but until the country is on board with that idea we will face a threat from cartel violence.

Danke
05-28-2016, 07:56 PM
I was not Army so your point is invalid.

??

What does that have to do with what you wrote, "we need a standing army..."

You say air power...fighers and bombers are part of the military.

Yep, so?

I think I know where you're going, but I still don't think we need a large standing army. I am fine with the Navy, and special forces and the National (which should read state) Guard.

Uriel999
05-28-2016, 08:53 PM
??

What does that have to do with what you wrote, "we need a standing army..."

Yep, so?

I think I know where you're going, but I still don't think we need a large standing army. I am fine with the Navy, and special forces and the National (which should read state) Guard.

When I interpret standing army I see it as having an active duty military capable of defending our nation.

We are not in disagreement as far as a large standing army.

And I am a Marine. Calling me Army is an insult. :D

Also, only .4% of the population is Active Duty:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what-percentage-of-americans-have-served-in-the-military/

So really it is HOW our military is used, and WHY so much money is wasted.

Look, I swear I'm not a neocon with a bloodlust to invade every country that has oil in it.

I simply recognize that warfighting is serious business (from experience) that takes time to learn the most basic training.

Then it takes significant practice to gain even the most minimum proficiency.

Perhaps if we didn't spend our money on F-35's, abortions of Super carriers like the Gerold Ford (it's cost a ton of money and is also a POS like the F35), and instead spent money on a defensive posture, modern nuclear missle for the good old MAD policy and generally simply budgeted intelligently, strigently and with forward thinking we could have a great modern military that is also cost effective.

Danke
05-28-2016, 08:59 PM
U
When I interpret standing army I see it as having an active duty military capable of defending our nation.

We are not in disagreement as far as a large standing army.

And I am a Marine. Calling me Army is an insult. :D

Also, only .4% of the population is Active Duty:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what-percentage-of-americans-have-served-in-the-military/

So really it is HOW our military is used, and WHY so much money is wasted.

Look, I swear I'm not a neocon with a bloodlust to invade every country that has oil in it.

I simply recognize that warfighting is serious business (from experience) that takes time to learn the most basic training.

Then it takes significant practice to gain even the most minimum proficiency.

Perhaps if we didn't spend our money on F-35's, abortions of Super carriers like the Gerold Ford (it's cost a ton of money and is also a POS like the F35), and instead spent money on a defensive posture, modern nuclear missle for the good old MAD policy and generally simply budgeted intelligently, strigently and with forward thinking we could have a great modern military that is also cost effective.

I agree.

I think the reserves are great. They have a lot of experience and maintain minimal proficiency but can quickly gen up if they need to.

oyarde
05-28-2016, 09:20 PM
I would consider my militia to be highly effective.

Danke
05-28-2016, 09:22 PM
I would consider my militia to be highly effective.

Bow and arrows? Did you guys not learn that that is no way to be victorious?

oyarde
05-28-2016, 09:25 PM

I still have one , but I only use it when I run out of ammo or when no noise is desired and it is farther away than I can close with my Tomahawk. I can make my own ammo for it .

oyarde
05-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Free The Oppressed .

pcosmar
05-28-2016, 10:27 PM
Legalization would be a fantastic step towards reducing the power of the cartels. Too bad the "drugs are bad mmkay" crowd still has prohibtion going.

I think we should not get caught up in the hypotheticals though, but look at the here and now, and see cartels are a serious problem.

I agree with your solution, but until the country is on board with that idea we will face a threat from cartel violence.

The only "cartels" that are a problem are those bred in the School of the Americas. The CIA's boys.

the others were grower/merchant co-ops.

once you sift through the propaganda

Henry Rogue
05-28-2016, 10:53 PM
I was going to post, "Marine Raiders! WTF, did they build a time machine too?", but then I thought I should check just to make sure....
In 2014, the Marine Special Operations Regiment, serving under the*United States Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command*(MARSOC), was renamed the*Marine Raider Regiment. This change was implemented to better show that modern Marine special operations forces trace their lineage and heritage back to the WWII Raiders. Individual Marines of the Marine Raider Regiment are once again called*Marine Raiders.
and surprise, Gung ho is back.

oyarde
05-28-2016, 10:59 PM
I was going to post, "Marine Raiders! WTF, did they build a time machine too?", but then I thought I should check just to make sure.... and surprise, Gung ho is back.

I wonder if they use the old patch ?

Henry Rogue
05-29-2016, 11:48 AM
I wonder if they use the old patch ?
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2015/06/24/heres-why-marsoc-wont-adopt-raiders-patch/29238299/

Here's why MARSOC won't adopt the Raiders' skull insignia
By Hope Hodge Seck, Staff writer

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — In the Raider Room at Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command headquarters here, the focal point is unmistakable: the iconic World War II Raiders emblem on a banner, featuring a menacing skull surrounded by five stars arrayed in a "Southern Cross" on a midnight blue background.

But while MARSOC renamed its subordinate units for the Raiders in a much-anticipated move earlier this month, the command won't be adopting the famous skull logo, officials said. Maj. Gen. Joseph Osterman, MARSOC's commander, told reporters this decision was actually an acknowledgment of the Raiders' history and the multiple Marine units that can claim to be part of its lineage.

"Those Raider battalions had a very specific emblem that was associated with them," Osterman said. "For MARSOC, it was really about taking on some pieces of that iconic emblem ... but to make it different."

MARINE CORPS TIMES

Legendary Marine Raiders attend MARSOC's renaming ceremony

The legendary Raiders existed for a short, kinetic period between 1942 and 1944. During those years, the four Raider battalions conducted amphibious raids in the Asia-Pacific region as one of the first U.S. special operations contingents to fight in the war. They were later disbanded, and the battalions were re-purposed under 4th Marine Regiment. Those units remain active across the Marine Corps.

The Marines' reconnaissance battalions can also lay claim to the Raiders bloodline. Prior to MARSOC's activation, the elite recon units were the Marines' closest connection to the special operations world. When MARSOC was created in 2006, its first personnel came from 1st and 2nd Force Reconnaissance Companies, which were briefly deactivated due to a lack of manpower.

The Raiders influence can be seen in the insignias used by all these units. The 1st Battalion, 4th Marines emblem uses a version of the Raiders' Southern Cross, while the Marines' four reconnaissance battalions — three active and one Reserve — all feature an adaptation of the iconic skull.

"The lineage actually goes back to 4th Marines when they took apart the Raider battalions and made another Marine regiment," Osterman said. "... So for our part, [we used] the commando knife and things like that, that they still used in World War II but we changed it just a little bit for being MARSOC rather than actually the Raider lineage."

All of MARSOC's eight subordinate Raider units now feature the Southern Cross in their unit emblem; most also feature the upward-facing stiletto knife used by the original Raiders in the Pacific.

For Karen Lovin, the granddaughter of 2nd Raider Battalion commander Evans Carlson and the president of the Marine Raider Association, the insignia is far less important than the spirit behind it.

"What was significant to the Raiders was not the emblem they wear on their sleeves but what they value, what they carry in their hearts," she said.

She said she had observed in MARSOC's active-duty Marines the same kind of intensive training, the same commitment to the mission, and even the same close relationship between officers and enlisted troops that she recognized from the original Raider units.

"These men aren't just warriors, they're peacekeepers and makers. It's emblematic of who and what the Raiders were," she said. "In every way, they're in lockstep with the Raiders."

Regardless of philosophy and lineage, however, MARSOC's Raiders will continue to sport the vintage skull patch, albeit in an unauthorized capacity. Though not formally approved for uniform use, MARSOC troops have made a habit of donning the patch during deployments.

"That insignia is a source of pride and has been a source of pride," said Maj. Ed Norris, the commanding officers of 3rd Marine Raider Support Battalion. "It is something that Marines have identified with T-shirts, with hats, really just to honor the Marines that have gone before us. And now to officially have that is an honor."

Lovin said about a dozen MARSOC Marines had proudly showed her their Raiders patches. One gunnery sergeant, she said, told her he'd brought it with him on eight deployments in the last decade.

"The deep royal blue color of the patch had faded to almost a baby blue," she said. "So I know he had it out in the sun."

oyarde
05-29-2016, 12:53 PM

The guys in the pic would be easy pickin's once you sink the boat. Not easy swimming with an arrow through the neck,LOL

osan
05-29-2016, 01:35 PM
The operation was, of course, an exercise, but it was also a public spectacle for a force that has tried desperately to remain in the shadows despite now being at the forefront of America’s wars.

Sheeeit... A couple years ago when Pentagon information systems were successfully hacked, all their personal information was made available to our enemies. My little brother is right at the top of ISIS/Alqaeda/YouNameIt lists of people to assassinate for reasons I will not go into, save to say that his work has been central and monumental in some of the most significant and successful operations in that region. Use your imagination and you will probably not be far from truth. He would almost certainly be one of the aces in that deck, and all his shit is out there, just like everyone else's. There is no anonymity from the people for whom that condition is most necessary. So covering up their faces is availing them nothing in a world where some very serious money is devoted to finding and tracking them. Nothing more dangerous than a false sense of security.

pcosmar
05-29-2016, 02:07 PM
some of the most significant and successful operations in that region.

My friend,, with my deepest respect.

If you believe for a second that there has ever been such,, you are sadly deluded.

:(

osan
05-29-2016, 06:53 PM
My friend,, with my deepest respect.

If you believe for a second that there has ever been such,, you are sadly deluded.

:(

You need to distinguish between military success and political.

Intoxiklown
05-29-2016, 08:02 PM
I was going to join the Marines, but my head wouldn't fit in the jar. That, and I couldn't bring myself to accept the doctrine that in the dark, the Navy rank of Seaman becomes Seawomen. That is part of Marine regs. Look it up, it's listed in cold weather survival.

Why does the Navy put their name tags on their back pocket, instead of the front breast like the other armed forces? It's so the Marines remember who it was they fucked the night before, and know who to call the next day if it went well.

Why does the Navy issue powered soap to it's members as bath soap? It takes a lot longer to pick up in the shower when dropped, and increases their chances of meeting that special Marine.

I really shoulnd't knock the Marines though, as they have something in common with the Army. We both see the Air Force and the Navy as the same thing. Places to gives soldiers and marines plane rides and boat rides to the fight. Beats walking or swimming.