PDA

View Full Version : Idea - Ron Purple

thumbto
12-07-2007, 10:42 PM
What's the color of Liberty? Purple!

One of my favorite bands, Gogol Bordello, has a song called "Start Wearing Purple"....

That got me thinking...

What if Ron Paul supporters had a distinctive color - Purple - That would identify supporters... On the street, at rally's, etc. we can make Purple the color of Liberty. If you see it, it's likely a Ron Paul supporter.

The Gogol Bordello song would be essental for videos introducing to this concept. You can listen here:

http://myspace.com/8377874

I am busy on a project to destroy the mainstream media and my plate is full. Also, I don't have video editing experience so if someone wants to pick this up have at it... I just wanted to throw it out here.

What do you think of the concept? Too crazy? Crazy enough? Don't go all Blimp hating on me now ;)- the blimp has already gotten crazy press - just saw it on CNN tonight. Despite all the naysayers, it's already a success. Still, I'm interested in seeing what you think of Ron Purple.

You'll need to listen to the song and/or watch the video to get the full effect....

Brian

ZenX
12-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I dunno, I'm no expert on color theory, but purple has usually been associated with royalty, wealth and opulence. I seem to remember kings and such wearing it because it was such a rare dye. Just my .02

thumbto
12-07-2007, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=ZenX;554175 purple has usually been associated with royalty, wealth and opulence. [/QUOTE]

That's true.. but you don't really see much purple... If you take a more common color, say red, white or blue, you really don't stand out. But if you see a couple people wearing Purple - you can pretty much bet they're Ron Paul supporters. Or, maybe Vikings fans..

Ronin
12-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Good idea to stand out, but ever since Barney the color purple has been stereotyped.

thumbto
12-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Yes, it is a bit wacky... Barney ;).

But I can't help but think of how the gay community has hijacked the Rainbow. (I'm being lighthearted here, no offense intended). I mean what's the first thing you think of when you see a rainbow? It used to be you'd think of My Little Pony! Oh how times change.. ;).

It wouldn't take much for Ron Paul supporters to steal purple from Barney. Is he even still around?

Rhys
12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Purple is also the color of the Emperor of Rome. "the Imperial Purple" or "Zeus's Purple" or becoming emperor was known as "receiving the Purple" and Julius Caesar painted his face purple for his Triumph when he returned fro Gaul and it goes on and on. :)

In politics, purple is very Roman, and not the Republic kind!

Ronin
12-08-2007, 03:45 PM
...and Crown Royal bags. Yum :)

1000-points-of-fright
12-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Why don't we start wearing arm bands?

Seriously, aren't we trying tell the country that we're not a cult of weirdos? We're just normal Americans? Why would we want some secret gang color or masonic handshake?

thumbto
12-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Or Prince...

But the nice thing about a color - opposed to something like a shirt, arm band or secret handshake is that you can wear a purple anything... a tie... a hat.. socks...

And then, when anyone is wearing purple, you can ask "Are you a Ron Paul supporter? Because his color is Purple..." An indirect introduction...

Plus when enough people are wearing purple every day, people will start asking, "what's the deal with all the people wearing purple?"

Think St. Patrick's day... but all year long 2008. Pinching optional..

thumbto
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Ron Paul supporters wear purple because we are taking back our power from the Royalty (elite, MSM, corporations, military-industrial complex)

Because this project requires a good video to promote it, I've posted in the Video & Imaging Projects section. More info on this developing idea here:

\http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=559679#post559679

freedom-maniac
12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Why don't we start wearing arm bands?

Seriously, aren't we trying tell the country that we're not a cult of weirdos? We're just normal Americans? Why would we want some secret gang color or masonic handshake?

Arm bands have always been associated with radical activists groups. Not to far off, but not the image that we want to send...

thumbto
12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Spin is something we always have to deal with. The Blimp can be spun as nutty and quixotic. Nov. 5th can be spun as invoked in the name of a terrorist. But these are accusations are ultimately unsupportable. I would argue that a 'wear purple' promotion is the same.

I realize the video introducing this idea would need to be in the right spirit... not one of a cult or radical fringe but simply a symbol support of Ron Paul, like a button or a banner. It could be playful and meaningful at the same time without the ominousness some are projecting on the idea.

With "must not be able to be spun as radical" as a requirement for our promotional efforts, we are left with a narrow of a range of conventional options.
On the other side... you have to admit, there is something extraordinary (radical!?) going on with this campaign!

In another thread, someone asked "why don't we wear Ron Paul gear full time?"
And the answers were that it was too expenisive. I think the subtle and inexpensive message of purple clothing provides a unique full time promotional solution.

Mainly, I'm putting this idea out here to see if someone wants to pick up the video project. While I think 'wearing purple' has tremendous promotional value, it's the video, that, once released, would fairly decide whether this idea lives or dies.

Mahkato
12-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, if the elections get stolen from us through vote fraud, we could always go with an Orange Revolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Revolution)!

questionmark
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Purple is already taken (see: homosexuality). And I do agree that it seems more like a cult type thing than political support. The pundits really have to stretch to make Ron Paul supporters look crazy on his issues and support, however their attack on this concept would probably write itself.

I don't think we should bend to the will of large media corps. I just think that this is a little too out there. This would be viewed as weird, not just by the pundits, but by everyday Americans who are considering Ron Paul as their candidate.

Keep coming up with ideas, though, the concentrated creativity is backing like no other candidate has.

thumbto
12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh, come on! How did gays get both the Rainbow and the color Purple? Isn't the Rainbow enough?

Anyway, there are too many things that make this idea so compelling...

The song "Start wearing purple" with lyrics "start wearing purple for me now!"
The meaning of purple as Royalty and the fact that people are taking their power back.
The fact that Paul and Purple sound similar and can be made to rhyme.
The fact that anything purple can be worn... but a necklace, a scarf, a hat, a ribbon, button, bracelt, shirt, and for the very brave... pants!
It provides a transition from internet to real-world, on-the-street recognition & promotion.
It brings politics and fashion together. It will appeal to arange of fashion conscious people who may not be political but are persuaded to get in on the fun and make a fashion statement.
We immediately get the support of 10% of the population due to the apparent association with homosexuality :) (or wait, is it royalty or Barney or Ceasar or Crown Royal bags or roving gangs of militant homosexual radicals)

Someone else must think it's a good idea. Indeed, only one skilled video editor has to think so and I think the video will go viral. Did you listen to this song? It's outrageous & addicting....

Maybe someone is working on the video right now... I say go for it!

questionmark
12-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Unfortunately none of those positions are appealing to the general public.

thumbto
12-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Purple4Paul has a Myspace page. New info there. Come join..

myspace.com/purple4paul (http://myspace.com/purple4paul)

freedom-maniac
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Just a thought...

Since people wearing Ron Paul shirts have been kept out of Straw Polls, if we start wearing purple, won't it just let them pick us out in another way?

thumbto
12-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Just a thought...

Since people wearing Ron Paul shirts have been kept out of Straw Polls, if we start wearing purple, won't it just let them pick us out in another way?

Very true... that's what purple underwear is for.