PDA

View Full Version : So I was studying for my auditing class and I found this little gem on McCain...

madcat033
12-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I have finals next week and right now I'm studying for my auditing exam. We are reading about past accounting scandals and frauds, so we can understand the mistakes that auditors made and what happened that allowed the fraud to occur. Look at what I found in my textbook regarding a company called Lincoln Savings and Loan:

The most serious charges leveled at Keating involved allegations of influence peddling. Keating contributed heavily to the election campaigns of five prominent senators, including John Glenn and John McCain. These five senators, who became known as the Keating Five, met with federal banking regulators and allegedly lobbied for favorable treatment for Lincoln Savings and Loan...

Keating made the following remarks during a press conference: "One question, among the many raised in recent weeks, has to do with whether my financial support in any way influenced several political figures to take up my cause. I want to say in the most forceful way I can: I certainly hope so."

McCain lobbied for this guy to get favorable treatment to help him perpetrate his fraud. What Keating essentially did was create fake profits for Lincoln Savings and Loan, which allowed him to take REAL money out of the corporation. "The gains recorded by Lincoln on its real estate transactions allowed ACC [Keating's company] to withdraw huge sums of cash from the savings and loan, funds that were actually federally insured deposits."

So essentially, they were stealing money from the government. McCain seems to be big on eliminating pork and wasteful spending, yet he helped this guy steal millions from the taxpayers?

Oh, and there's more. Look at who else is involved:

Keating also hired Alan Greenspan to represent Lincoln before the FHLBB shortly before Greenspan was appointed to the powerful position of chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. In a legal brief submitted to the FHLBB, Greenspan reported that Lincoln's management team was "seasoned and expert" and that the savings and loan was a "financially strong institution that presents no foreseeable risk to depositors or the government."

The textbook emphasizes those points because they had just spent the previous several pages talking about how Lincoln was doomed to failure because of all these fraudulent activities and fake profits. Not only that, but Greenspan calls the management "seasoned and expert" when in reality that was a lie. Keating handpicked his son to be the president of Lincoln Savings and Loan, an impressive job title with a salary of $1 million. What were his qualifications? Well, he was a high school graduate and college dropout who was working as a busboy before he became president. "Years later, the younger Keating testified that he did not understand many of the transactions he signed off on as Lincoln's president." Ya think?

Why are all these bastards so corrupt?

Begood
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
The funny thing is that's impossible to find some kind of dirt on Ron Paul.

RonPaulNCR
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Ahh, the infamous Keating 5

madcat033
12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
The funny thing is that's impossible to find some kind of dirt on Ron Paul.

Yeah, the sad thing is how everyone grasps at straws trying to bring down Ron Paul with shit like "he hates black people! he wants a theocracy!" etc. Then, they gloss over all this REAL shit that these other corrupt bastards do. Giuliani has all sorts of cronies, Giuliani partners, et cetera. Huckabeee erases hard drives before leaving office. McCain lobbies for a company that is robbing taxpayers and defrauding the elderly.

These are all serious indicators that these candidates lack integrity. Why don't people realize this? I think anyone running for the most powerful government position should be CAREFULLY scrutinized for lack of integrity. The consequences and risks are too dire otherwise.

madcat033
12-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Ahh, the infamous Keating 5

Hah sorry if this is well known to everyone... it's before my time so I was surprised.

benhaskins
12-07-2007, 10:38 PM
curt shilling endorsed him on c-span thursday at a town hall assembly in NH

beobeli
12-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Giuliani has all sorts of cronies, Giuliani partners, et cetera. Huckabeee erases hard drives before leaving office. McCain lobbies for a company that is robbing taxpayers and defrauding the elderly.

These are all serious indicators that these candidates lack integrity. Why don't people realize this? I think anyone running for the most powerful government position should be CAREFULLY scrutinized for lack of integrity. The consequences and risks are too dire otherwise.

It just indicates how corrupt the mainstream government and the entire election process is. The only way to curtail corruption in Washington is to give them less authority and less money. It also assumes you elect people that are ethical to begin with.

dwdollar
12-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a special contempt in my heart for McCain.

I believe many politicians who are corrupt can at some level deep down feel guilty about it.

Not McCain though. He is the type of guy that will take dirty money one day and write about integrity the next. He's a hypocrite to the very core.

PatriotOne
12-07-2007, 11:22 PM

The truth of the matter is our government has been taken over by a criminal network. Was the Lincoln S&L in Nebraska? What year was it? Just curious if it was the same time as the Franklin S&L in Nebraska scandal and others during the 80's. Huge scandals!

The Lantern
12-07-2007, 11:27 PM

As long as we are going down memory lane with the Savings and Loans Scandal, how many remember Neil Bush and Silverado?

http://rationalrevolution.net/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3330.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_Loan_crisis

madcat033
12-07-2007, 11:33 PM
The truth of the matter is our government has been taken over by a criminal network. Was the Lincoln S&L in Nebraska? What year was it? Just curious if it was the same time as the Franklin S&L in Nebraska scandal and others during the 80's. Huge scandals!

Hmm... it says Lincoln was headquartered in Phoenix but did most of their work in California. This took place during the 80s... they were acquired by ACC (Keating) in 1984 and seized by the FHLBB in 1989.

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Partly because the people allow them to be (through stupidity, negligence, ignorance etc.). Afterall, who votes these guys in time after time?

PatriotOne
12-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Hmm... it says Lincoln was headquartered in Phoenix but did most of their work in California. This took place during the 80s... they were acquired by ACC (Keating) in 1984 and seized by the FHLBB in 1989.

Thanks. I guess Nebraska S&L's weren't the only scam during that period. Must of been the current fad for all the criminals :(

SocraticAce
12-07-2007, 11:46 PM
edit: didn't mean to post