PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Huckabee surge

CMoore
12-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Does anyone have a logical explanation for Huckabee's sudden surge in the polls? Was it the debate? What? All of a sudden he is taking off and there seems to be no substantive reason that I can see. What am I missing here?

adwads
12-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Don't worry, this is just the time when the spotlight is brought onto somebody and then all of their flaws are revealed. The thing is, when Dr. Paul gets the spotlight on Dec. 16, everybody will realize that he has no flaws.

Fuck Huck. He's just the latest neo-con fling:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=49550

Cliff
12-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Rigged polls is my guess and the dirty laundry coming out on Rudy.

PrimarilyPaul
12-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Because everyone else is supporting him so they will too. The second people see that it looks like one candidate is being supported by everyone else, they jump behind them, they don't want to be the lone weirdo supporting some guaranteed loser.

Arklatex
12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
It's because he has strong character I believe. I don't think he'll win the nomination though, if so I see a huge downfall for the republican party...

dircha
12-07-2007, 10:17 PM
It's not so much a surge. Remember, he came in second in Ames all the way back in August.

It is getting closer to caucus time, people are looking to settle on their candidates, and he has secured the former Brownback supporters.

Huckabee is picking up the support of the loyal religious conservatives who still approve of the job Bush is doing.

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
First of all--Ames Straw Poll gave him the boost in the polls. The boost in the polls gave him more clout in the media. He went on to win the values voter thing [didn't he? Not talking about the debate, I know he won that]. Later, endorsed by Chuck Norris. Gave him even more coverage in the media. Also, not only did it give him coverage, but all the political shows were constantly talking about him as the dark horse, that he could pull some upsets in Iowa and such. Futhermore, he has actually been campaigning quite a bit on the ground. Yes, the debate also impressed a lot of people, including those people in the media. So they give him even more coverage, and most people only know that he's quite funny, and that he's a social conservative (something all of the frontrunners are not). So to me, it's completely expainable. It has nothing to do with rigged polls. His campaign has also raised way more money. HucksArmy, I have to give them credit for being pretty effective (obviously not as effective as we are), but they couldn't possibly give Huckabee that much of their money alone. He is gaining a lot of support.

And that's the problem with our guy. The name recognition is not going up (the media will be damned if they have to report him) and the message isn't getting out (only 15% of the Republicans know he's the only anti-Iraq War candidate on the Republican party). This is a good and bad thing. Good because there are still so many who can be converted or who haven't jumped onto a certain campaign yet, but it's also bad bececause we only have 1 month left until primaries start.

Original_Intent
12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Chuck Norris endorsement
Values Voters endorsement
And a month of free press from the Old Media.

If everyone thinks he is so great where is the fundraising?
His support is paper thin and a mile wide

shepburn
12-07-2007, 10:28 PM
wrong ... every answer so far is all wrong

the huckster is only benefiting because our fellow American's are just as sick of Rudy/McCain/Romney/Thompson as we Ron Paulities are. Once these people (who are mostly Christians) figure out that even Huckabee is worthless (much less philosophically anti-Biblical), they too will change their mind. In otherwords, Huckabee is the last line of defense for the establishment before Ron Paul sweeps up the Republican party in a landslide.

To good to be true??? Meditate on it for a little while and tell me why I'm wrong!!

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 10:29 PM

the huckster is only benefiting because our fellow American's are just as sick of Rudy/McCain/Romney/Thompson as we Ron Paulities are. Once these people (who are mostly Christians) figure out that even Huckabee is worthless (much less philosophically anti-Biblical), they too will change their mind. In otherwords, Huckabee is the last line of defense for the establishment before Ron Paul sweeps up the Republican party in a landslide.

To good to be true??? Meditate on it for a little while and tell me why I'm wrong!!
You're correct in some areas and probably wrong in other areas of your thinking.

Perry
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I said this months ago and I'll say it again(for the last time). The establishment sensed that we(the people) were ready for a change. Therefor the establishment, through the media, has attempted to hand us our "darkhorse", our "new and different option" on a platter. That option being Mike Huckabee. A new and different option that people don't recognize, yet is no different than the rest of the crowd.

Akus
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Does anyone have a logical explanation for Huckabee's sudden surge in the polls? Was it the debate? What? All of a sudden he is taking off and there seems to be no substantive reason that I can see. What am I missing here?

He was talked about on TV.
A lot.
He was given time to make his point.
And frequently so.
He was allowed to get into debates with other Republicans, and, lucky for us, Ron Paul.
He milks the Jesus angle for all it's worth. Hey, it worked for Bush in '00, why won't it work for Huck in '08 :shrug:

curtisag
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
The Republicans overall are very unmotivated and unhappy about the choices the media has presented them for President so far. So Huckabee is their first flirtation with upsetting the status quo of the front runners. Religious conservatives love Huckabee, but fiscal conservatives won't vote for him. Once religious people learn about him freeing a murdering rapist to kill another young girl, his support will fall away. And the only other option will be Ron Paul.

Begood
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Don't worry, most people don't even know that Huck doesn't believe in evolution. When the people find out, he will sink in the polls.

Akus
12-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Don't worry, most people don't even know that Huck doesn't believe in evolution. When the people find out, he will sink in the polls.

Assuming that that's their make or break issue, how will it help Ron Paul, who is also a devout Bible believing (just believing and not thumping) Christian?

hawkeyenick
12-07-2007, 10:38 PM
The Republicans overall are very unmotivated and unhappy about the choices the media has presented them for President so far. So Huckabee is their first flirtation with upsetting the status quo of the front runners. Religious conservatives love Huckabee, but fiscal conservatives won't vote for him. Once religious people learn about him freeing a murdering rapist to kill another young girl, his support will fall away. And the only other option will be Ron Paul.

You'd be surprised at how well he is covering it up

Paulitician
But the majority of Americans don't believe in it either :o. So I don't think it's that much of an issue, in fact it's a plus for a lot of social conservative Republicans, who are Huckabee's biggest supporters.

hawkeyenick
Assuming that that's their make or break issue, how will it help Ron Paul, who is also a devout Bible believing (just believing and not thumping) Christian?

Because even the blindly faithful can't deny facts, and the facts tell us evolution is real

wgadget
12-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Did the "surge" start around September 27?

http://www.cfr.org/publication/14335/

Scaryclouds
12-07-2007, 10:42 PM
But the majority of Americans don't believe in it either :o. So I don't think it's that much of an issue, in fact it's a plus for a lot of social conservative Republicans, who are Huckabee's biggest supporters.
Uhhh... I'm pretty sure most Americans believe in evolution, at least to a degree. Huckabee outright rejects evolution. He even believes the Earth is around 6,000 years old :eek: That's just crazy considering human civilization is something like 10,000 years old.

cindy25
12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
1) support from all the Baptist churches
2) he comes across as a nice guy, and that helps a lot in small states.

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Uhhh... I'm pretty sure most Americans believe in evolution, at least to a degree. Huckabee outright rejects evolution. He even believes the Earth is around 6,000 years old :eek: That's just crazy considering human civilization is something like 10,000 years old.
Actually, you're wrong. And I can prove to you by statistics and I bet you haven't even heard Mike Huckabee's elaboration on the issue.

shepburn
12-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Who said that is their make or break issue?

beobeli
12-07-2007, 10:54 PM

I tend to agree.

Xanax Nation
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
He got ahold of some massive e-mailing list, I'll have to look for the link now.

Xanax Nation
12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
http://www.epolitics.com/2007/12/03/did-a-magic-email-list-propel-huckabee-to-the-top/

Is it helping him? I dunno.