PDA

View Full Version : Fox News poll: Gary Johnson at 10% nationally

jct74
05-18-2016, 06:47 PM
How would you vote if the candidates were: [IF DON’T KNOW: Well, which way do you lean?] [ROTATE NAMES]

Democrat Hillary Clinton - 39%
Republican Donald Trump - 42%
Libertarian Gary Johnson - 10%
(Other) - 2%
(Wouldn’t vote) - 5%
(Don’t know) - 3%

The poll was conducted by telephone with live interviewers May 14-17, 2016, among a random national sample of 1,021 registered voters (RV). Results based on the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2016/05/18/fox-news-poll-2016-national-release-may-18/

jct74
05-18-2016, 06:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9cDMRLF.jpg

bunklocoempire
05-18-2016, 07:23 PM
hehe excellent.

r3volution 3.0
05-18-2016, 07:26 PM
This is the 2nd national poll with Gary in double digits.

juleswin
05-18-2016, 07:36 PM
If all the people that are disgusted with the idea of voting Hillary and Trump just voted for third party, I think we can actually have a real alternative.

acptulsa
05-18-2016, 07:40 PM
If all the people that are disgusted with the idea of voting Hillary and Trump just voted for third party, I think we can actually have a real alternative.

Just keep reminding people that this is a republic. We will elect who we vote for. That's the mantra.

If you want to throw your vote away, Clinton and Trump will be on the ballot. Pick one. Otherwise, join us.

I just hope the Libertarians packing for the convention don't assume that this is a vote for Johnson by people who know who Johnson is and prefer Johnson over other candidates who may be more popular (if any). Pick your best, folks, and watch his or her smoke!

younglibertarian
05-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Excellent. We have hope.

younglibertarian
05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
If we were included in the polls more often, we would be a force to be reckoned with.

juleswin
05-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Also I have to wonder if the polling wasn't tweeked to give a more libertarian response. I can imagine TPTB trying to create a bigger divide between libertarians and GOP by blaming Trump's assured loss to the Clintons on us.

That or maybe my paranoia is acting up again

undergroundrr
05-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Is it too far-fetched to surmise that GJ may have stolen more Hillary votes than trump votes?

CPUd
05-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Is it too far-fetched to surmise that GJ may have stolen more Hillary votes than trump votes?

Need more data. Fox polls are historically biased towards Trump.

acptulsa
05-18-2016, 08:26 PM
Also I have to wonder if the polling wasn't tweeked to give a more libertarian response. I can imagine TPTB trying to create a bigger divide between libertarians and GOP by blaming Trump's assured loss to the Clintons on us.

That or maybe my paranoia is acting up again

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you aren't right.

But they're playing a dangerous game making the LP look like it's building momentum.

I, for one, don't care which monster the LP steals more votes from, just so long as enough votes get stolen.

younglibertarian
05-18-2016, 08:46 PM
The convention simply can't come fast enough. We can't have GJ the name of recognition and another person be nominated. That could get messy.

jkob
05-18-2016, 08:55 PM
While the idea of the Libertarian candidate at the debate is intriguing, Gary Johnson and William Weld aren't too exciting. Is Gary still for open borders?

acptulsa
05-18-2016, 08:57 PM
The convention simply can't come fast enough. We can't have GJ the name of recognition and another person be nominated. That could get messy.

I don't think it matters much, given the two turkeys the major parties have put up.

I sincerely hope LP delegates won't let Fox dissuade them from nominating a stronger candidate, if there is one.

younglibertarian
05-18-2016, 08:57 PM
While the idea of the Libertarian candidate at the debate is intriguing, Gary Johnson and William Weld aren't too exciting. Is Gary still for open borders?

Yes. I agree he is way 2 dull.

There are other options however, we just won't know until the convention.

John McAfee:
http://www.bealibertarian.com/

Austin Petersen:
https://austinpetersen2016.com/

younglibertarian
05-18-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't think it matters much, given the two turkeys the major parties have put up.

I sincerely hope LP delegates won't let Fox dissuade them from nominating a stronger candidate, if there is one.

There is a pretty good chance that will happen. Though I have met ALLOT of delegates on facebook who plan on casting a vote for AP. Not as many for McAFee unfortunately.....

jkob
05-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Perhaps McAfee has name recognition to poll like this too altho I don't know what type of reputation he has, don't think the Petersen kid has any shot tho

I'd be really surprised if Johnson/Weld aren't the Libertarian candidates,

younglibertarian
05-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Perhaps McAfee has name recognition to poll like this too altho I don't know what type of reputation he has, don't think the Petersen kid has any shot tho

I'd be really surprised if Johnson/Weld aren't the Libertarian candidates,

I'm personally pulling for McAfee.

dannno
05-18-2016, 10:48 PM
I like McAfee, and Gary Johnson isn't that exciting, but Johnson may well do better in the general election and I'd be pretty happy with either of them compared to what else is being offered. Trump already has a lot of the people who are looking for the alpha male type, while some charisma may help he doesn't need to compete in that arena for votes necessarily. He should be able to pull in fiscal conservatives, anti-war folks and a lot of social liberals who want to see cannabis legalized and criminal justice reformed. A libertarian who is pro-life probably wouldn't have much success, and while that is a really important issue to lots of folks it shouldn't be a deal killer for someone who is pro-liberty on most other issues. That issue isn't going to get solved whether Trump or Hillary wins, but there is a lot of good a Johnson administration could accomplish.

TheTexan
05-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Democrat Hillary Clinton - 39%
Republican Donald Trump - 42%

Nice, Trump is in the lead :cool:

brandon
05-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Gary Johnson wants to force jewish bakers to make nazi cakes by federal law. That's probably the most draconian policy I've heard from any candidate in any party.

TheTexan
05-18-2016, 11:29 PM
If we were included in the polls more often, we would be a force to be reckoned with.

Who is this "we" you are speaking of?

I don't know about you, but my vote is already a force to be reckoned with.

(HB recently taught me the value of individualism - thx)

Peace&Freedom
05-18-2016, 11:57 PM
Johnson being in the double digits a second time is a very encouraging sign. His being listed in a major poll at all is also encouraging, as it suggests the media will keep tracking him, thus his inclusion will keep his name visible. The choice of Weld is significant, in that it reinforces the "substantial candidate" image of the ticket by putting two former Governors on it.

I personally talked to Weld in 2006 when the LPNY persuaded him to accept the nomination in the Governor's race that year. Weld is also basically a moderate Republican, but one who really respects the Libertarian name and is honored to be associated with it. The addition of Weld should keep the LP in the news cycle and Johnson's momentum going.

dannno
05-19-2016, 03:54 AM
Gary Johnson wants to force jewish bakers to make nazi cakes by federal law. That's probably the most draconian policy I've heard from any candidate in any party.

lol..... you actually think he is going to sign a bill that would force Jewish bakers to make a nazi cake?? Come on man.. what he was saying was that the discrimination issue is a black hole. It is. Sorry. I don't agree with it, but you can't convince a majority of the voters that businesses open to "the public" should be able to say "No blacks allowed" or not serve a certain race or some such.. if he takes any other position on the issue, then that is what his views will be portrayed as. It's a great question for a libertarian debate, and I'm not quite sure he was able to fully process the statement before answering, but he prides himself on being able to attract people from the left, which is what we need. We need Bernie's detracted supporters to help get as much liberty as possible.

Gary Johnson has much more important issues like taxes and debt, end the war on drugs, draw back our foreign policy adventurism.. The discrimination issue is a very poor reason to oppose him as a candidate.. I oppose him on the issue on principle, but I'm not going to oppose him as a candidate over it, he has too many good policy positions to oppose him on an issue where he's trying to get people on the left so we can come together and defeat the two party system, reign in our foreign empire and get some good tax and spending policy implemented.

Todd
05-19-2016, 05:10 AM
If Gary Johnson is polling 10%, then he should be in the debates.

LibertyEagle
05-19-2016, 05:14 AM
lol..... you actually think he is going to sign a bill that would force Jewish bakers to make a nazi cake?? Come on man.. what he was saying was that the discrimination issue is a black hole. It is. Sorry. I don't agree with it, but you can't convince a majority of the voters that businesses open to "the public" should be able to say "No blacks allowed" or not serve a certain race or some such.. if he takes any other position on the issue, then that is what his views will be portrayed as. It's a great question for a libertarian debate, and I'm not quite sure he was able to fully process the statement before answering, but he prides himself on being able to attract people from the left, which is what we need. We need Bernie's detracted supporters to help get as much liberty as possible.

Gary Johnson has much more important issues like taxes and debt, end the war on drugs, draw back our foreign policy adventurism.. The discrimination issue is a very poor reason to oppose him as a candidate.. I oppose him on the issue on principle, but I'm not going to oppose him as a candidate over it, he has too many good policy positions to oppose him on an issue where he's trying to get people on the left so we can come together and defeat the two party system, reign in our foreign empire and get some good tax and spending policy implemented.

Johnson's foreign policy is all over the map.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/09/thedcs-jamie-weinstein-gary-johnsons-strange-foreign-policy/

I didn't want to spend the time looking for the video, but he made a horse's ass out of himself when he was being interviewed by a FOX panel in 2012, on foreign policy. They had each Republican candidate on there and Johnson was embarrassing.

Rad
05-19-2016, 05:37 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/09/thedcs-jamie-weinstein-gary-johnsons-strange-foreign-policy/

I didn't want to spend the time looking for the video, but he made a horse's ass out of himself when he was being interviewed by a FOX panel in 2012, on foreign policy. They had each Republican candidate on there and Johnson was embarrassing.Good point! He is no Ron Paul!

Bern
05-19-2016, 08:07 AM
... I can imagine TPTB trying to create a bigger divide between libertarians and GOP by blaming Trump's assured loss to the Clintons on us. ...

If you click the link to the Fox page, you can see the full polling results. They also polled Hillary v Trump without including Johnson. Comparing those results with the question that did include Johnson, it appears that Johnson pulled support from both Hillary and Trump, but more significantly from Hillary.

liveandletlive
05-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Good point! He is no Ron Paul!

true, but lets face it, not even his son is.

Spikender
05-19-2016, 08:38 AM
This "He/She is No Ron Paul" stuff again. There is no Ron Paul except for Ron Paul. One of a kind guy. We have worthy successors to him, but none of them will just like the man who brought us all to this site. I've settled with myself that I'm not getting another Ron, so one of his torchbearers will have to do.

Not sure if I'd say Gary Johnson is exactly in the same category I put Ron Paul and others in, but he's better than the embarrassments to dignity that are Trump and Killary.

younglibertarian
05-19-2016, 09:16 AM
This "He/She is No Ron Paul" stuff again. There is no Ron Paul except for Ron Paul. One of a kind guy. We have worthy successors to him, but none of them will just like the man who brought us all to this site. I've settled with myself that I'm not getting another Ron, so one of his torchbearers will have to do.

Not sure if I'd say Gary Johnson is exactly in the same category I put Ron Paul and others in, but he's better than the embarrassments to dignity that are Trump and Killary.

Agree.

younglibertarian
05-19-2016, 09:17 AM

I didn't want to spend the time looking for the video, but he made a horse's ass out of himself when he was being interviewed by a FOX panel in 2012, on foreign policy. They had each Republican candidate on there and Johnson was embarrassing.

All over the map? Sounds kind of like.....

Trump?

jllundqu
05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Show me a poll not run by Faux News and then we'll talk

jllundqu
05-19-2016, 09:34 AM

I agree with this 100%

LibertyEagle
05-19-2016, 09:41 AM
All over the map? Sounds kind of like.....

Trump?

Trump isn't claiming to be a "libertarian". If some are going to stick their noses in the air claiming some kind of righteousness, Johnson probably shouldn't be their go to guy. Just sayin'...

younglibertarian
05-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Trump isn't claiming to be a "libertarian". If some are going to stick their noses in the air claiming some kind of righteousness, Johnson probably shouldn't be their go to guy. Just sayin'...

He is by no means my "go to guy." He is my least favorite of the current Libertarian candidates.

Still far superior to Trump.

I just find it ironic that you would point out a changing foreign policy when Donald Trump has "changed" his stance on this issue many times.

dannno
05-19-2016, 10:15 AM

I'm happy with his foreign policy views based on his recent interview with Joe Rogan.. He didn't say anything Ron Paul wouldn't have said and I'm pretty sure they spent at least 25 minutes on it. It starts about 2/3 of the way through the 3 hour interview. How long did he spend talking about foreign policy on Fox News?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?495475-Gary-Johnson-on-the-Joe-Rogan-Experience

staerker
05-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Johnson has zero philosophical understanding of property rights, and his wedding cake answer brought that to light. How is he the frontrunner of the Libertarian party when he has no grasp on the cornerstone of libertarianism?

dannno
05-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Johnson has zero philosophical understanding of property rights, and his wedding cake answer brought that to light. How is he the frontrunner of the Libertarian party when he has no grasp on the cornerstone of libertarianism?

Already answered that.. it's a black hole issue that will get a candidate nowhere in the current electorate, he said so himself and it's true.

Listen to the Joe Rogan interview if you are unsure about his policies and what he intends to do as President. Except for abortion, which isn't going to get solved with either of the other candidates, he's on our side on all the major issues. After a 3 hour grilling by Rogan he did pretty damn good, and I think he can get the support from the left that we need to start implementing small government policy.

staerker
05-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Already answered that.. it's a black hole issue that will get a candidate nowhere in the current electorate, he said so himself and it's true.

Listen to the Joe Rogan interview if you are unsure about his policies and what he intends to do as President. Except for abortion, which isn't going to get solved with either of the other candidates, he's on our side on all the major issues. After a 3 hour grilling by Rogan he did pretty damn good, and I think he can get the support from the left that we need to start implementing small government policy.

I'll watch the interview. The LP has a shot this election, let's hope they leave a good first impression.

Jan2017
05-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Another three-way debate in the general election ?

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/johnson_zpspx7kvvci.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/sunblush/media/johnson_zpspx7kvvci.jpg.html)

RonPaulFanInGA
05-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Is this really you guys first rodeo? Third party candidates always poll high early on, and fade some later and then finally do jack all on Election Day. This has been the case every four years since George Wallace.

Case in point: Gary Johnson was polling (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/romney-leads-obama.html) at 9% nationally early on before the 2012 election. How'd he finish? Oh, right, <1%.

dannno
05-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Is this really you guys first rodeo? Third party candidates always poll high early on, and fade some late and then finally do jack all on Election Day. This has been the case every four years since George Wallace.

Case in point: Gary Johnson was polling (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/romney-leads-obama.html) at 9% nationally early on before the 2012 election. How'd he finish? Oh, right, <1%.

It's a barrier thing.. If they don't go up from 10%, they go down. Ross Perot started climbing and did quite well. If your polling doesn't go up from 10%, then people turn back to voting for one of the other two because they aren't perceived as having a chance.

I would hold out on your prediction, keep it safely tucked away somewhere, you may be right but don't coronate the decision by making people think he doesn't have a chance before he has a chance to improve his numbers.

undergroundrr
05-19-2016, 11:57 AM
He needs to get serious national media on the heels of these results or it could fizzle.

jct74
05-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Is this really you guys first rodeo? Third party candidates always poll high early on, and fade some late and then finally do jack all on Election Day. This has been the case every four years since George Wallace.

The Libertarian candidate has never had tens of millions in funding though. That will change if Gary Johnson is the nominee this year.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?495549-Daily-Caller-David-Koch-pledges-quot-tens-of-millions-quot-To-Gary-Johnson%92s-presidential-bid

dannno
05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
If your goal is for Hillary Clinton to lose, and for Gary Johnson to win, his best bet is emphasizing his social liberalism and attracting Sanders supporters so they don't vote for Clinton against Trump. The more conservative he sounds, the more conservatives he will pull from Trump and he will end up giving Hillary the win.

Petar
05-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Part of the reason that the LP exists is to thwart the chances of anyone different (like Donald Trump) actually getting elected.

acptulsa
05-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Part of the reason that the LP exists is to thwart the chances of anyone different (like Donald Trump) actually getting elected.

Oh? You really think that was the reasoning during the Big Government Nixon Administration?

And how has that been working out? Dubya was about as different as anyone ever elected, being unable to put together a coherent sentence. How did the LP do in thwarting his efforts?

Your comedy is improving. You get funnier every day.

LibertyExtremist
05-19-2016, 01:43 PM
At this point I don't know if I could vote for Johnson. He has waffled on many big issues and Weld doesn't make me feel any better about him. Weld is a guy who supported the assault weapons ban and all sorts of anti 2nd Amendment legislation, including no handgun ownership. Weld also endorsed Obama (2008) and Romney (2012). This guy doesn't seem to be anywhere in the vicinity of libertarian.

Rad
05-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Rand knows better!

r3volution 3.0
05-19-2016, 03:04 PM

...says person supporting Donald Trump.

R
O
F
L

r3volution 3.0
05-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Johnson being in the double digits a second time is a very encouraging sign. His being listed in a major poll at all is also encouraging, as it suggests the media will keep tracking him, thus his inclusion will keep his name visible. The choice of Weld is significant, in that it reinforces the "substantial candidate" image of the ticket by putting two former Governors on it.

Exactly

acptulsa
05-19-2016, 03:49 PM
'Who is Gary Johnson?' was one of the questions on Jeopardy! today.

r3volution 3.0
05-19-2016, 03:53 PM
'Who is Gary Johnson?' was one of the questions on Jeopardy! today.

What was the answer?

05-19-2016, 04:18 PM
This is a BFD. If he gets to 15% he is in the debates. All he has to do is break 5% and the LP gets matching funds which could make a huge difference in the next election.

MarcusI
05-19-2016, 06:27 PM
That poll is pretty huge :)

MarcusI
05-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Show me a poll not run by Faux News and then we'll talk

Yesterday's Rasmussen Poll indicates that:

"Trump earns 42% support to Clinton’s 37% when Likely U.S. Voters are asked whom they would vote for if the presidential election were held today. But Rasmussen Reports’ latest national telephone survey finds that 13% prefer some other candidate, while seven percent (7%) are undecided."
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch

phill4paul
05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
At this point I don't know if I could vote for Johnson. He has waffled on many big issues and Weld doesn't make me feel any better about him. Weld is a guy who supported the assault weapons ban and all sorts of anti 2nd Amendment legislation, including no handgun ownership. Weld also endorsed Obama (2008) and Romney (2012). This guy doesn't seem to be anywhere in the vicinity of libertarian.

It's not like he is going to win. It is about creating a third party that enjoys election law benefits like the R&D. THAT is the reason for voting L.P. Doesn't really matter if it is Johnson, Peterson or McAfee. If they get a foot in the political door then the party can become refocused much more so than the R&D's.

Origanalist
05-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Oh? You really think that was the reasoning during the Big Government Nixon Administration?

And how has that been working out? Dubya was about as different as anyone ever elected, being unable to put together a coherent sentence. How did the LP do in thwarting his efforts?

Your comedy is improving. You get funnier every day.

Not really.

eleganz
05-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Good point! He is no Ron Paul!

So I'm curious how come all of the people who complain that there is no Ron Paul II that they don't just run for office themselves and literally become Ron Paul holding another office?

Or is it just much easier to watch and complain?

acptulsa
05-19-2016, 07:51 PM
What was the answer?

He was the Libertarian Party standard bearer in 2012.

LibertyExtremist
05-20-2016, 11:56 AM
It's not like he is going to win. It is about creating a third party that enjoys election law benefits like the R&D. THAT is the reason for voting L.P. Doesn't really matter if it is Johnson, Peterson or McAfee. If they get a foot in the political door then the party can become refocused much more so than the R&D's.

I totally get that line of thinking and argument and it may be the argument that makes me pull the lever for Johnson. However, if the LP does get to that magic 5%+ number, does it help that it takes running on a moderate Republican like platform to do it? What kind of message does it send to the average voter if the people the LP runs for President or Vice President support gun control, imminent domain, and the United Nations? I'm worried that people could come to the mistaken belief that libertarians are simply fiscal Republicans and social Democrats. In the grand scheme of things, could this set the liberty movement back?

Unknownuser
05-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Odd. Since when did they include any 3rd party in their polls?

Unknownuser
05-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Don't vote for him...vote for the LP.

acptulsa
05-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Odd. Since when did they include any 3rd party in their polls?

Good question. The only motivation I can figure is they want to encourage the LP delegates to nominate Johnson in particular for some reason. Perhaps they think he will offend Sanders supporters somehow. Perhaps they think the LP has someone stronger.

But, yes, it's strange behavior for a 'news service' that can't even seem to list all the GOP candidates on its lists of GOP candidates and can't seem to list all the DNC candidates on its lists of DNC candidates.

Don't vote for him...vote for the LP.

This. Every candidate they have to choose from is less evil than the two major party clowns. Vote for the LP to top five percent. And if they actually win, what? Are you really going to complain?

RandallFan
05-21-2016, 08:05 PM
He's not polling at 10%. 95% of young men on internet message boards hate him. He's polling at 5%. If he's hated this much by young men he's not getting double digits with older voters.

What's his support on rpf specifically? 20 or 30%. That's pretty weak relative.

CPUd
05-21-2016, 08:22 PM
He's not polling at 10%. 95% of young men on internet message boards hate him. He's polling at 5%. If he's hated this much by young men he's not getting double digits with older voters.

What's his support on rpf specifically? 20 or 30%. That's pretty weak relative.

The OP where he polls 10% seems to refute your claim.

RJ Liberty
05-21-2016, 08:27 PM
The OP where he polls 10% seems to refute your claim.

Yep. Ridiculous that we even need to debate this. "He's not polling at 10%"? Seriously?

RandallFan
05-21-2016, 09:00 PM
He's not polling at 10%, the responses to the polls are butthurt Cruzers & Sanders supporters. No way he gets 10% in November if Perot couldnt get 10% in 1996 against consumate insider Dole on a red meat issue. This is not a realistic poll for November.

No way Johnson does as good as family man Ron Paul, in GOP circles, as Johnson would do, in general circles.

Same with these other ridiculous polls months ago with 30 or 40% of Republicans jumping ship.

Johnsonite tried & failed against 2 totally committed insiders Romney & Obama. He got 1% in an election that actually turned out to be irrelevant in terms of SCOTUS & other things. The idea that he will do tenfold against Trump compared to R-Money, Romneycare-instituted, has little evidence.

There's an actual choice. Clinton will result in Campaign finance Super PAC changes with a SCOTUS pick. Trump will result in trade wars and different strategies for GOP to win as a national party. Trump will also be a celebrity president that has never been seen before. Trump will also incite a real hatred for the media & Congress that they really deserve.

If 5-15% of 25 year old white males anecdotally, like Gary Johnson on facebook or reddit, it is much lower with every other demographic who votes in November.

RJ Liberty
05-21-2016, 09:14 PM
He's not polling at 10%

Yes. Yes he is.

CPUd
05-21-2016, 09:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9cDMRLF.jpg

RJ Liberty
05-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Not only the Fox News poll, but the Monmouth University poll from March, which had Gary Johnson polling at 11% (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2016/03/25/gary-johnson-polling-in-doubledigits-against-trump-and-hillary-n2138829). He's been in double digits for months now.

05-21-2016, 09:43 PM
I think some in this thread are discounting the never Trump and never Clinton contingent. It's larger than I recall in any election since Ross Perot. Obviously the Clintons are going back to the white house, but I think Johnson could seriously crack 5%. Give people a third choice with some name recognition and they will lodge a protest vote.

RJ Liberty
05-21-2016, 09:52 PM
I think some in this thread are discounting the never Trump and never Clinton contingent. It's larger than I recall in any election since Ross Perot.

I am reminded of the Perot campaign years, too. '92 was a huge year for the "No D, No R" movement, and this year seems to be shaping up the same way.

Obviously the Clintons are going back to the white house, but I think Johnson could seriously crack 5%. Give people a third choice with some name recognition and they will lodge a protest vote.

It's definitely possible. How likely is debatable, but definitely within the realm of possibility. And 5% would make ballot access so much easier for the next election.

Lovecraftian4Paul
05-21-2016, 10:25 PM
It's worth remembering third party candidates always do better at this stage and sink like rocks by the time the election rolls around. I seem to remember a few polls last time that had Johnson up near 8-10% around summer. Pretty sure Nader was over 5% in 2008 early in the General Election phase too. It's a sad reality that a lot of third party choices are a stand-in for "undecided," or too many of their early supporters are very soft and get cold feet when it comes time to vote in November.

RJ Liberty
05-21-2016, 10:38 PM
I seem to remember a few polls last time that had Johnson up near 8-10% around summer.

Which national polls were those? JZ Analytics had Johnson at 5% in July 2012. Rasmussen had him at 1% in August 2012. CNN had Johnson at 4%. As far as I know, at no point was Johnson polling at 10% or 11% in the last election. This election seems to be quite different.

Mad Raven
05-21-2016, 11:10 PM
I like Gary, but I feel like he's turning into the Romney of the LP. He doesn't get people excited, doesn't do anything to get attention, and people mainly think of him as the most electable guy with name recognition.

I'm liking McAfee more and more. He's got money and is interesting to listen to. He even points people towards his video of hookers and blow. I'd love to see the LP go with him and see what kind of havoc he can wreak.

CPUd
05-22-2016, 12:02 AM
This poll I think comes later today:

FSP-Rebel
05-22-2016, 12:06 AM
This poll I think comes later today:

Mika turned you on right?:)

specsaregood
05-22-2016, 12:17 AM
It'll be pretty sad if Gary Johnson is what the general public thinks of when they think of Libertarianism. What a poor excuse...

CPUd
05-22-2016, 12:30 AM
Is Gary the presumptive nominee, or does Petersen or McAfee have a real shot at taking it at the convention?

dannno
05-22-2016, 04:02 AM
I like Gary, but I feel like he's turning into the Romney of the LP. He doesn't get people excited, doesn't do anything to get attention, and people mainly think of him as the most electable guy with name recognition.

I'm liking McAfee more and more. He's got money and is interesting to listen to. He even points people towards his video of hookers and blow. I'd love to see the LP go with him and see what kind of havoc he can wreak.

Mitt Romney didn't want to abolish the IRS, end the war on drugs, legalize cannabis, end our foreign empire, etc.. As far as policy goes they are completely different. Gary Johnson is a more presentable candidate, as much as I like McAfee and would prefer his policies, I don't think they can be sold as easily to the disaffected Sanders supporters either. I think Gary Johnson has a much better edge with them - and real small government Republicans who are willing to vote third party are probably fewer in number, but I don't see why he can't draw them in and he will do that better than McAfee as well.. but ultimately I would like to see a third party candidate who can be the most successful while also drawing Democrat votes away from Hillary.. and Gary Johnson is a better choice that some of the anti-establishment Independent candidates like Jesse Ventura.. I like Jesse Ventura but he is worse on policy and probably less electable than Gary Johnson.

RJ Liberty
05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Is Gary the presumptive nominee, or does Petersen or McAfee have a real shot at taking it at the convention?

The LP would have to be crazy to nominate McAfee, with his baggage.

TheTexan
05-22-2016, 01:49 PM
I'm liking McAfee more and more. He's got money and is interesting to listen to. He even points people towards his video of hookers and blow.

Well, he had money, that's true.

phill4paul
05-22-2016, 01:56 PM

What baggage?

randomname
05-22-2016, 02:14 PM

Why should his baggage matter? People who care about McAfee's baggage wouldn't vote for any of the LP candidates anyway, and none of them have a chance of winning, so they'd be a protest vote in any case... arguably the more baggage, the more protest voters he'd attract

RJ Liberty
05-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Why should his baggage matter? People who care about McAfee's baggage wouldn't vote for any of the LP candidates anyway, and none of them have a chance of winning, so they'd be a protest vote in any case... arguably the more baggage, the more protest voters he'd attract

How do you figure? He'll lock up the murder suspect/DUI vote?

younglibertarian
05-22-2016, 02:39 PM
How do you figure? He'll lock up the murder suspect/DUI vote?

No proof.

It was likely a setup by the Belize government.

RJ Liberty
05-22-2016, 02:54 PM
No proof.

It was likely a setup by the Belize government.

Won't matter. McAfee's got a colorful past which will preclude him from serious consideration. This is what I mean when I say he has "baggage".

younglibertarian
05-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Won't matter. McAfee's got a colorful past which will preclude him from serious consideration. This is what I mean when I say he has "baggage".

Trump has shitloads of baggage and he is a contender.

RJ Liberty
05-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Trump has $#@!loads of baggage and he is a contender.

Trump is a major party candidate. You're comparing apples and oranges. And he's never been accused of murder... has he?

RandallFan
05-23-2016, 01:17 AM
McAfee is likeable; dudes like Gary, Weld(look at his stupid nose), Snyder(MI), Rubio, Rauner(IL), Colorado Sen. Bennett, Utah Sen. , Bennett, Romney, Jon Huntsman & other people are not likeable to ordinary voters.

I think Johnson is also too close to Fox News & establishment media in a bad way. He doesnt get prime time appearances. When McAffee appeared on Alex Jones probably reaches a bigger audience.

unknown
05-24-2016, 09:55 AM
This really is the best time for a 3rd Party.

I actually have a real alternative and am excited to vote this year.

CPUd
05-24-2016, 10:00 AM
He also got 10% in today's Morning Consult poll, with another 17% undecided.

05-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Johnson now has a 8.3 RCP average.

That a LP party candidate even has an RCP average is amazing, no less an 8.3

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson-5949.html

RJ Liberty
05-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Johnson now has a 8.3 RCP average.

That a LP party candidate even has an RCP average is amazing, no less an 8.3

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson-5949.html

Cool find! If Johnson can maintain that 8.3, it will be a huge media boost for the liberty movement.

RJ Liberty
05-24-2016, 10:06 PM
McAfee is likeable; dudes like Gary, Weld(look at his stupid nose), Snyder(MI), Rubio, Rauner(IL), Colorado Sen. Bennett, Utah Sen. , Bennett, Romney, Jon Huntsman & other people are not likeable to ordinary voters.

William Weld is unlikable because of his nose? Good God. Now I've heard it all.

I think Johnson is also too close to Fox News & establishment media in a bad way. He doesnt get prime time appearances. When McAffee appeared on Alex Jones probably reaches a bigger audience.

Johnson's found an audience. Mainstream media pollster 538.com just ran a featured article on Gary Johnson (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/pay-attention-to-libertarian-gary-johnson-hes-pulling-10-vs-trump-and-clinton/) called "Pay Attention To Libertarian Gary Johnson; He’s Pulling 10 Percent vs. Trump And Clinton". When major polling outfits are running stories about Johnson's success in the polls, you can bet he's getting media attention.