PDA

View Full Version : Governor who called legalization 'reckless' now says Colorado's pot industry is working

jct74
05-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Governor who called legalization 'reckless' now says Colorado's pot industry is working

by David Kelly
May 17, 2016

When Colorado voted to legalize recreational marijuana four years ago, one of the move's chief critics was Gov. John Hickenlooper.

The moderate Democrat said that if he could "wave a magic wand" to reverse the decision, he would. Then he called voters "reckless" for approving it in the first place, a remark he later downgraded to "risky."

“Colorado is known for many great things,” Hickenlooper said. “Marijuana should not be one of them.”

But the governor’s views have softened. During a recent panel discussion at the Milken Institute Global Conference in Los Angeles, he said that despite opposing the legalization of pot, his job was to “deliver on the will of the people of Colorado.”

“If I had that magic wand now, I don’t know if I would wave it,” he said. “It’s beginning to look like it might work.”

It was the latest in a series of comments Hickenlooper has made signaling what looks like an evolution of his views on marijuana. In April last year, during an interview with Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, Hickenlooper said legal weed was “not as vexing as we thought it was going to be.”

And during an appearance on "60 Minutes," he predicted that Colorado might “actually create a system that could work” in successfully regulating marijuana.

Why the change?

read more:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-hickenlooper-marijuana-20160516-20160516-snap-story.html

JK/SEA
05-18-2016, 02:59 PM
i wonder if it has anything to do with increased tax revenue...

money talks.

tod evans
05-18-2016, 03:05 PM
i wonder if it has anything to do with increased tax revenue...

money talks.

These people have had so much anti-weed BS blown up their asses for so long they've got to literally be force fed the reality of weed and even then they'll still bow to the anti-drug crowds....

I have no patience for any of them.....

It is good that this one is making acceptable noise today though.

osan
05-18-2016, 05:29 PM
read more:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-hickenlooper-marijuana-20160516-20160516-snap-story.html

"Why the change?"

Is that a serious question?

Because it is a political animal who will whore any which way it deems necessary in order to secure the next election.

That turd should be run out of CO on a rail with several permanent boot marks on its boot.

On a more significant note, mewonders how long it will be before CO taxes cannabis through the roof. Or are they already doing this?

KCIndy
05-18-2016, 06:02 PM
On a more significant note, mewonders how long it will be before CO taxes cannabis through the roof. Or are they already doing this?

Consumers of cannabis and cannabis infused products pay a 10% tax, on top of a 2.9% sales tax:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/tax/marijuana-taxes-quick-answers

Consumers purchasing medical marijuana and medical marijuana-infused products should be charged the state 2.9% sales tax plus any additional local sales taxes. Consumers purchasing retail marijuana and retail marijuana-infused products should be charged the 2.9% state sales tax, 10% state marijuana sales tax and any local sales taxes.

Medical is apparently exempt from the 10% cannabis surcharge:

Medical marijuana is subject to the 2.9% state sales tax and any local sales taxes. A complete list of state, city, county, and special district tax rates is available through Revenue Online. The rates are also available in the publication Colorado Sales/Use Tax Rates (DR 1002).

Growers' taxes are more complicated, but are described on the same link:
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/tax/marijuana-taxes-quick-answers

pcosmar
05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Washington reworked their tax after the first year... both simplifying it and lowering it..

They are raking in the money.

Several models.. others will follow.