PDA

View Full Version : 22 Percent of Resettled Refugees in Minnesota Test Positive for Tuberculosis

angelatc
05-17-2016, 11:16 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/17/22-resettled-refugees-minnesota-tested-positive-tuberculosis/

One of every five refugees resettled in Minnesota by the federal government tested positive for latent tuberculosis in 2014, according to the state’s Department of Health.

Only 4 percent of the general population in the United States tested positive for latent tuberculosis in the most recent report provided by the Centers for Disease Control.

The April 2016 edition of the Refugee Health Quarterly, published by the Minnesota Department of Health reports that:

Minnesota had 150 cases of TB in 2015, compared to 147 cases in 2014 (a 2 percent increase). The most common risk factor for TB cases in Minnesota is being from a country where TB is common.

TB screening is offered to all refugees during the domestic refugee health exam.

In 2014, 22 percent of refugees screened tested positive for LTBI (latent tuberculosis infection).

26 percent of all foreign born cases of tuberculosis in Minnesota were from people born in Somalia. Somalians almost exclusively enter the state through the refugee resettlement program.

I bet they get free health care though, so its ok.

oyarde
05-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Are all the Somalians in the Twin Cities ?

Danke
05-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Are all the Somalians in the Twin Cities ?

They outnumber Injuns in the Twin Cities.

oyarde
05-17-2016, 12:16 PM
They outnumber Injuns in the Twin Cities.

I figured as much. Probably not even Vikings fans .

Zippyjuan
05-17-2016, 12:57 PM
In 2014, 22 percent of refugees screened tested positive for LTBI (latent tuberculosis infection).

Latent turberculosis means they were exposed to it at one point in their lives but currently do not have the disease. To say that 22% tested positive for tuberculosis is misleading- 22% do not actually have it- but hey- it is Breitbart. In about five percent of those it may develop into TB but that usually occurs within the first two years.

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/general/ltbiandactivetb.htm

What is Latent TB Infection?

Persons with latent TB infection do not feel sick and do not have any symptoms. They are infected with M. tuberculosis, but do not have TB disease. The only sign of TB infection is a positive reaction to the tuberculin skin test or TB blood test. Persons with latent TB infection are not infectious and cannot spread TB infection to others.

TB Cases In Minnesota by year: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/tb/stats/tbcounty.pdf

2001- 239
2002- 237
2003- 214
2004- 199
2005- 199
2006- 217
2007- 238
2008- 211
2009- 161
2010- 135
2011- 137
2012- 162
2013- 151
2014- 147
2015- 150

Cases down quite a bit from where they were in the early 2000's. 2% increase over last year? It is also 25% down from ten years earlier. Depends on how you want to look at it.

oyarde
05-17-2016, 01:24 PM
So , no chance of TB wiping out the Dem.'s all piled up on top of one another in Minnesota ..... the Minnesota - Democratic - Farmer - Labor Party will continue to help mankind with ideas ......

juleswin
05-18-2016, 10:33 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/17/22-resettled-refugees-minnesota-tested-positive-tuberculosis/

I bet they get free health care though, so its ok.

Don't get me wrong, TB is more prevalent in most third world countries than it is in the US but I just wonder how many of those are false positives. Take me for example, I always test positive on anti body TB tests, it could be because I was exposed growing up or because the TB vaccine(which were given to children in many thrid world countries) I got is actually working and it is producing TB anti bodies, but I do not have TB. I always get the chest x-ray or quaniferon test (which also is an anti body test but it usually comes back negative for me) to confirm the test in order to work in the hospital with very sick people and intelligent pathologists and doctors who would immediately cry foul if they thought I had TB.

Also people latent TB do not need treatment the same way with people who have had chicken pox do not need treatment even though they have the virus somwhere hidden in their system. So no cost to the health system other than the cost for the test.

angelatc
05-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Also people latent TB do not need treatment the same way with people who have had chicken pox do not need treatment even though they have the virus somwhere hidden in their system. So no cost to the health system other than the cost for the test.

Not arguing - learning. Having said that..."Overall, without treatment, about 5 to 10% of infected persons will develop TB disease at some time in their lives (http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/general/ltbiandactivetb.htm)?"

(AmyPi - we miss you!)

fisharmor
05-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Not arguing - learning. Having said that..."Overall, without treatment, about 5 to 10% of infected persons will develop TB disease at some time in their lives (http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/general/ltbiandactivetb.htm)?"

(AmyPi - we miss you!)

Ok, but the immigrants with TB aren't really people so if they die it mitigates the immigration problem, and this means everyone else has to get another vaccine, so win-win, right?

angelatc
05-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Ok, but the immigrants with TB aren't really people so if they die it mitigates the immigration problem, and this means everyone else has to get another vaccine, so win-win, right?

I am not sure why you think that I believe immigrants are not biologically human. Is that simply a passive aggressive statement about our differences on immigration?

AmyPi spent a good part of her career working on a TB vaccine. Hence my reference. To answer your question, unfortunately, there is not a truly effective vaccine in the market. Which is why I thought reimporting the disease was problematic, which it appears I was wrong about.

donnay
05-18-2016, 11:25 AM
What you're missing here is the same loving government that pushes the vaccines are pushing to bring in the illegal immigrants with diseases. :rolleyes:

juleswin
05-18-2016, 11:36 AM
What you're missing here is the same loving government that pushes the vaccines are pushing to bring in the illegal immigrants with diseases. :rolleyes:

This is also not true, coming to the US as a refugee, green card recipient or coming from any country with a health travel warning(which generally all third world countries are under at every time of the year) requires that you get tested for diseases like TB, AIDS, ZIKA maybe now that there is a crisis etc etc etc. And you can't just go to your local lab to get tested cos they don't trust them, you go to the lab that has contract with the US embassy who charge up to 20x the normal costs for said tests.

And the vaccines you got in your country? forget about them, you will have to get new ones to be given a visa. Its actually not easy at all coming to the US from a third world country.

Chomp
05-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Terror from every side against the Godless nation.