PDA

View Full Version : TN - Armed citizens recover abducted 9 year old girl

Anti Federalist
05-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Tennessee girl allegedly abducted by uncle found safe by 2 'heroes,' official says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/12/tennessee-girl-allegedly-abducted-by-uncle-found-safe.html

The 9-year-old Tennessee girl allegedly abducted by her uncle was found safe Thursday after he was captured by two men who held him at gunpoint until law enforcement could arrive.

Carlie Marie Trent was found in Hawkins County, the rural part of East Tennessee, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. Her uncle, Gary Simpson, is in custody, officials said.

Simpson is accused of taking Carlie from her school in Rogersville, Tenn. on May 4.

"Carlie is safe tonight because of an entire community pulling together with law enforcement to bring her home," Mark Gwyn, Director of the TBI, told reporters at a press conference Thursday evening.

Gwyn said there are no indications that Carlie was harmed, but she is being taken to a hospital as a precaution to be examined.

Gwyn said her safe return came after two men, Donnie Lawson and Roger Carpenter, were checking property as the TBI had asked people to do, when they found Carlie and her uncle on a trail only accessible by four-wheeler vehicles.

Carpenter, a Baptist minister, held Simpson at gunpoint while Lawson called police, according to Gwyn.

“This is a case of two heroes who went on their property to see if, by chance, if they were there, and they were," he said. "I think this is a clear message to the public that we need your help on these kind of cases.”

Simpson has been arrested and charged with especially aggravated kidnapping.

Earlier Thursday, the TBI had added Simpson, 57, to its Top 10 Most Wanted list and warned that Carlie was in imminent danger.

On Tuesday, Trent's father said her alleged abductor was obsessed with her and wanted her all to himself.

James Trent told WVLT-TV that Gary Simpson, 57, was jealous over the girl. James Trent told the station that Simpson knew Carlie all her life and had married Trent's sister. James Trent also said that Simpson and his wife often took care of his daughter.

"He had access to her every day, he was obsessed with her, he wanted her, and he wanted her all to himself," Trent said. "That's a scary thing to think about."

James Trent said that he didn't think Simpson would hurt Carlie, but was worried what will happen if she returned home.

“It would be a great moment, but then again it'll be a scary moment because I'm just wondering how she's going to be. Is she going to be as happy as she was? [Is] she going to be scared to death of everyone?" he explained. "That's what I worry about. She just won't be the same."

On Wednesday, the TBI said the case was not a simple custody dispute and stressed that Carlie could be in grave danger.

“We realize Gary Simpson is Carlie Trent’s uncle by marriage, but we have specific – we have credible – information that Carlie Trent is in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death,” TBI spokesperson Josh DeVine said during an afternoon press conference. “When we say this child is in danger we absolutely mean it.”

DeVine said the custody battle narrative had developed in the week since Trent was picked up from her school by Simpson, her former guardian. Simpson had recently lost custody of Trent, who was in her father’s care before her disappearance. But DeVine was emphatic that Trent’s kidnapping was not merely the product of a guardianship battle.

On Tuesday, the TBI retracted an earlier report that Simpson was seen at a store buying camping supplies. Investigators told the Knoxville News Sentinel that Simpson actually purchased a pink and purple plush throw blanket, a green men’s short-sleeve shirt, men’s black pants, girls’ khaki pants, two shades of lipstick, two shades of nail polish, a pink folding lounge chair, a purple child’s nightgown, a bikini and girls’ underwear on May 4.

tod evans
05-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Gwyn said there are no indications that Carlie was harmed, but she is being taken to a hospital as a precaution to be examined.

This'll have worse affect on the poor kid than having kops haul off her uncle..

“It would be a great moment, but then again it'll be a scary moment because I'm just wondering how she's going to be. Is she going to be as happy as she was? [Is] she going to be scared to death of everyone?" he explained. "That's what I worry about. She just won't be the same."

I'm thinking there's a whole 'nuther side to this story that isn't being told..........

phill4paul
05-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking there's a whole 'nuther side to this story that isn't being told..........

I'm getting that also. So her father didn't think Simpson would hurt her, but TBI said she was in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death? A little of a headscratcher here.

euphemia
05-12-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm sure there is more to the story as well. This poor kid has been dragged from pillar to post most of her life. Parents have drug problems. Not sure where mom is. This uncle is a nutjob, but wife and he took care of the girl in the absence of parents. This is why it wasn't unusual for uncle to show up at school. They were found only about 20 miles from where they live. It's up in the mountains. It's about as Upper and East Tennessee as you can be and not be in Virginia or North Carolina.

I feel for the girl. She's already had a hard enough time. Now she's on everyone's radar.

CPUd
05-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Yep, that area has some places the cops usually won't go.

euphemia
05-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Dude was hiding out on private property off the grid. Little to no cell service. Dense forests. They were in an area that is generally not accessible by regular vehicles. The property owner and a friend were doing what everyone else was doing--looking for the girl or the van.

otherone
05-12-2016, 08:59 PM
ANARCHY

fisharmor
05-12-2016, 09:10 PM
I am monumentally disappointed that this is not a story about rectifying a cps kidnapping.

acptulsa
05-12-2016, 09:13 PM
I am monumentally disappointed that this is not a story about rectifying a cps kidnapping.

Just because the cops say she was in danger and Fox says the guy bought her a swimsuit and some lipstick?

An official statement by the cops and a report by Fox and five bucks will get you some Starbucks. Or, at least, it used to...

euphemia
05-12-2016, 09:25 PM
It wasn't lipstick. It was gloss, which is very different and entirely appropriate for a child. The nail polish was green and purple, again, age appropriate.

I'm not defending the nutcase uncle, who is married and went off without telling anyone, but I think the facts have been spun a little bit to make it sound worse. As if it wasn't bad enough. Uncle is not blood kin to the child. He is married to the girl's aunt.

Natural Citizen
05-12-2016, 09:58 PM
It's about as Upper and East Tennessee as you can be and not be in Virginia or North Carolina.

Meh. Not really. I grew up right on the TN/Va line there coming out of Damascus VA. Technically we lived in TN but for some oddball reason, had to walk into Damascus VA to get our mail. I think because half our property was in VA and the other half in TN. Now, that was extreme NE TN.

But, yeah, they were still deep in the mountains/sticks, those two. Of course, where the were every place is in the mountains/sticks, really.

pcosmar
05-12-2016, 10:17 PM

I find I have that "feeling" more often.

what if the Uncle was rescuing her? (for sake of an "innocent till proven" argument)

and for the sake of such argument,, what if such a story was spun about me? .. ?

there are old pics of me sitting with a small child,, (that calls me grampa) She has a small child today.

I almost stole her long ago.. and her sisters are other stories.. one I apologized to.

One is still unknown.

hard to judge without , the rest of the story.

angelatc
05-12-2016, 10:28 PM
I'm getting that also. So her father didn't think Simpson would hurt her, but TBI said she was in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death? A little of a headscratcher here.

I get that, sort of. People live in denial about such things.

oyarde
05-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Something here seems a little strange for sure . Guy was hiding on a Ministers property , that was a mistake .They are generally thorough .

pcosmar
05-12-2016, 11:12 PM
I get that, sort of. People live in denial about such things.

True

And some are clear and adamant.

hard to say

luctor-et-emergo
05-13-2016, 03:05 AM
Well uh, a girl is abducted by some kind of relative, taken to a forest... Yeah, eh, I get why the TBI is worried about that. Imagine if they had said 'Nah, the Uncle is a nice guy according to all accounts.' and later some horrible shit happens ? So yeah, they will just play it safe. Remember, the guy abducted a 9 year old girl and took her into the forest. WTF could go wrong with someone like that ?

tod evans
05-13-2016, 04:11 AM
Well uh, a girl is abducted by some kind of relative, taken to a forest... Yeah, eh, I get why the TBI is worried about that. Imagine if they had said 'Nah, the Uncle is a nice guy according to all accounts.' and later some horrible shit happens ? So yeah, they will just play it safe. Remember, the guy abducted a 9 year old girl and took her into the forest. WTF could go wrong with someone like that ?

"Abducted" is the operative word here..

None of us know if this wasn't one of those; "Please Uncle Joe, get me away from the crazies." cases....

In just the little I've read the only deduction I'm comfortable making is that the whole story isn't being told...

luctor-et-emergo
05-13-2016, 04:17 AM
"Abducted" is the operative word here..

None of us know if this wasn't one of those; "Please Uncle Joe, get me away from the crazies." cases....

In just the little I've read the only deduction I'm comfortable making is that the whole story isn't being told...

We surely do not know the whole story. I'm just going on what is reported. Nobody was killed so that's a good start I'd say. :p

tod evans
05-13-2016, 04:21 AM
We surely do not know the whole story. I'm just going on what is reported. Nobody was killed so that's a good start I'd say. :p

Instances of family members killing eachother without family court involvement are pretty low, especially if kop families are taken out of the equation...

But yeah, glad the girl is okay..............At least she was before the "Dr's" started poking around in her privates.........:eek:

LibertyRevolution
05-13-2016, 04:35 AM
I live in NorthEast TN, this happens surprisingly frequently, usually by a family member, and usually found by private citizens unharmed.
This one went on for awhile, I am glad she was found safe.

Meth is bad, ummmkay.

Chomp
05-13-2016, 07:50 AM
nation is going down.

fisharmor
05-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Just because the cops say she was in danger and Fox says the guy bought her a swimsuit and some lipstick?

No, no.... I wasn't thinking about this case at all. I read the title and thought for a fleeting second, "Wow, finally someone stood up to CPS and took some kids back".
That second certainly was fleeting... as soon as I read "TN" I thought "Nope, didn't happen there, that's for sure".

fisharmor
05-13-2016, 09:25 AM
I live in NorthEast TN, this happens surprisingly frequently, usually by a family member, and usually found by private citizens unharmed.
This one went on for awhile, I am glad she was found safe.

I haven't heard, read, or seen a single use of the Amber Alert system which didn't involve them already knowing who took the kid.
Most of the time they have a license plate number and a direction of travel, as well.

We're all supposed to keep our children locked in towers until they're 18 now. The reason is because of the nonexistent millions of people driving white vans around passing out free candy.
That scenario is so rare as to be an urban legend at this point. And keeping our kids under surveillance all the time does absolutely nothing to mitigate it.
In fact, having to put adults in charge of children for 100% of their waking hours is probably increasing the likelihood that these amber alert situations arise. This uncle obviously got the idea that he could just take charge of this girl because of... ALL THE TIMES HE WAS DIRECTLY GIVEN CHARGE OF THIS GIRL.

So when the system the cops put in place (mandating constant supervision) goes way more wrong than just leaving the kids unsupervised would have, it's up to the citizens of the area to come to the rescue. Obviously. We get a broadcast of who and what to look for, and then the cops sit on their fat, lazy, gestapo asses and wait for the perp to get brought to them.

I don't understand. I just can't understand why more people don't see this.

ZENemy
05-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Damn.........its almost as if even ordinary people could also build roads.

Spikender
05-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Damn.........its almost as if even ordinary people could also build roads.

This story I can believe, but that's a little farfetched.

ZENemy
05-13-2016, 10:50 AM
This story I can believe, but that's a little farfetched.

lol