PDA

View Full Version : State Department says 'glitch' responsible for missing moment from press briefing

timosman
05-12-2016, 06:39 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3583604/State-Department-says-glitch-responsible-missing-moment-press-briefing-video-essentially-admitted-lying-Iran-nuclear-talks.html

10 May 2016

Yesterday Fox News reporter James Rosen discovered that a portion of his 2013 exchange with State's Jen Psaki was missing from the video archive
As the video approached the section in question, a white flash appeared, as if the tape had been edited, and it skipped ahead
Psaki had essentially admitted to Rosen that the administration had engaged in 'secret negotiations' with Iran, contradicting a previous claim
State is blaming the curious disappearance on a 'glitch' and replaced the old video with a new one that restores the section
The kerfuffle comes from a profile that suggested the administration duped the press and its allies into backing the Iran nuclear deal

The State Department is blaming the curious disappearance of unhelpful footage from an old press briefing on a 'glitch' today as the fallout continues from a profile that suggested the administration duped the press and its allies into backing the Iran nuclear deal.

Yesterday Fox News reporter James Rosen discovered that a portion of his 2013 exchange with then-State Department spokeswoman, now White House Communications Director, Jen Psaki was missing from the video archive.

As the briefing video approached the section where Psaki essentially admitted to Rosen that the administration had engaged in 'secret negotiations' with Iran, contradicting a previous claim that it had not, a white flash appeared, as if the tape had been edited, and it skipped ahead.

Rosen noted the oddity yesterday evening as he reported on the new drama surrounding the nuclear accord and said State could not explain the cut.

Today a spokeswoman for the diplomatic arm of the government brushed off the notion that it was a conspiracy, arguing that the video clip was available elsewhere and the discussion was included in the transcript posted to State's website.

'There was a glitch in the State Department video. When Fox flagged it for us, we actually replaced it,' State's Elizabeth Trudeau said.

Indeed, as of this afternoon, State's website included a new copy of the Dec. 2, 2013 briefing that contains the section in question.

In it, Rosen confronts Psaki with a charge made by her predecessor, Victoria Nuland, that the United States was not meeting with Iran one-on-one, outside of the international P5+1 group, to discuss its nuclear program.

Nuland told him earlier that year, 'We would be prepared to talk to Iran bilaterally. But with regard to the kind of thing that you're talking about on a government-to-government level, no.'

By the time of the December briefing, rumors were swirling that senior officials from both governments had been meeting in secret. Psaki wouldn't confirm those reports. But she also suggested they were accurate.

'Is it the policy of the State Department, where the preservation or the secrecy of secret negotiations is concerned, to lie in order to achieve that goal?' Rosen asked her.

Psaki told him, 'James, I think there are times where diplomacy needs privacy in order to progress. This is a good example of that.'

Trudeau swatted down a reporter today who said her excuse - the disappearing video footage was the result of a 'glitch - 'seems awfully strange and coincidental.'

'The transcript was always up,' she retorted, 'and the video existed on other channels.'

She told him, 'We're looking into it. Genuinely, we think it was a glitch.'

Other videos in the archive have not been affected 'to our knowledge,' Trudeau said.

'We were unaware of it, and as soon as we found out about it, we made sure it was whole.'
The kerfuffle arose from a report Rosen was filing for Fox on the The New York Times Magazine profile of Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes.

The article asserts that Rhodes and the administration misconstrued the timeline for talks with Iran to make the resulting deal more palatable to Congress and the public.

'The way in which most Americans have heard the story of the Iran deal presented – that the Obama administration began seriously engaging with Iranian officials in 2013 in order to take advantage of a new political reality in Iran, which came about because of elections that brought moderates to power in that country – was largely manufactured for the purpose for selling the deal,' the Times piece claims

In fact, it says, 'the most meaningful part of the negotiations with Iran had begun in mid-2012.'

That was months before Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and other so-called moderates came into power with the blessing of Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

'The idea that there was a new reality in Iran was politically useful to the Obama administration,' said writer David Samuels.

The Obama administration has had its hands full over the past week whacking down various statements by Rhodes in the article and resulting accusations.

Yesterday, another Fox News reporter, Kevin Corke, asked White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 'Can you state categorically that no senior official in this administration has ever lied publicly about any aspect of the Iran nuclear deal?'

Earnest could be heard telling him in the briefing room, 'No, Kevin.'

The utterance is depicted in the White House's video version of the briefing but was not included in the transcript it makes available after each discussion with reporters.

It ignores Earnest's initial response and jumps straight to his follow-up statement.

'Kevin, I think the facts of this agreement and the benefits of this agreement make clear that the national security of the United States of America has been enhanced, and Iran's effort to acquire a nuclear weapon has been set back,' he said.

Earnest went on to tout the merits of the deal, as perceived by the administration, also telling Corke, 'I recognize that there is an attempt by those who either lied or got it wrong to try to relitigate this fight.

'But the fact of the matter is, when you take a look at the concrete results of this agreement, Iran is not able to obtain a nuclear weapon; we can verify that their nuclear program is only focused on peaceful purposes; and we have succeeded in making the United States safer, in make Israel safer, and making our partners in the region safer because Iran is not able to obtain a nuclear weapon.'

Afterward Corke asked him if he maybe 'misspoke' at the beginning.

'I said, can you state categorically that no senior official in this administration ever lied publicly about any aspect of the deal.'

To that, the president's spokesman said, 'There is no evidence that that ever occurred. And what I would encourage you and other critics of the deal to do is to look at the facts and to look at the results. We can verify them now, and the facts are clear.'

Asked today about the omission and whether its absence from the transcript was perhaps a reflection of a change in his position, Earnest told a reporter from another news outlet, 'No, if I had changed my answer you'd know about it.'

timosman
05-12-2016, 06:43 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/05/10/video-of-a-state-dept-official-lying-to-reporter-james-rosen-mysteriously-deleted-heres-the-governments-response/

Fox News’ chief Washington correspondent James Rosen reported that a video of a 2013 State Department press briefing regarding the Iranian nuclear agreement had been altered to omit his exchange with the department spokesperson during an appearance on “Special Report” with Bret Baier on Monday.

The video’s alteration comes as the Obama Administration faces allegations that it knowingly deceived the American public about details of the deal with Iran.

“Late today, we discovered that the State Department’s video of its December 2, 2013, press briefing, at which I confronted spokesperson Jen Psaki about the false statement made by her predecessor, Victoria Nuland – the one you saw in my story tonight – has itself, with the use of a white flash, been deleted from both the State Department’s official website and from its YouTube channel,” Rosen said. “In that exchange, Psaki effectively admitted that the administration had lied to me because the diplomacy needed ‘privacy.’”

During the 2013 exchange in question, Rosen asked Psaki about Nuland’s statement that there were “no” secret talks going on with Iran.

“Is it the policy of the State Department, where the preservation or the secrecy of secret negotiations is concerned, to lie in order to achieve that goal?” Rosen asked.

Psaki replied, “James, I think there are times where diplomacy needs privacy in order to progress. This is a good example of that.”

When asked about the deletion by Rosen, the State Department replied that they cannot explain the omission and they are working to restore the footage.

In an interview with the New York Times last week, President Obama’s Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes said that talks with Iran started around 2011. However, the administration has pointed to the election of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in 2013, whom they characterized as a moderate, as the reason for the beginning of the talks in 2013.

In an article published on Medium on Monday, Rhodes wrote “we never made any secret of our interest in pursuing a nuclear deal with Iran.”

“The fact that there were discreet channels of communication established with Iran in 2012 is something that we confirmed publicly,” he added.

Rosen alleged “that’s not true,” arguing that the “talks were under way for eight months” at the time of the now-deleted exchange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZMrCh74zQI

Ronin Truth
05-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Is that the same crew that "loses" emails "glitches"?

timosman
05-15-2016, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4jl_hOqmo0

Brian4Liberty
05-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Sometimes the Memory Hole has glitches...

timosman
06-02-2016, 04:58 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/it-wasnt-a-glitch-state-department-deliberately-cut-embarrassing-questions-from-press-briefing-video/2016/06/01/68ab3664-2837-11e6-b989-4e5479715b54_story.html

June 1, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FnCqxN-TyU

The State Department acknowledged Wednesday that someone in its public affairs bureau made a “deliberate” request that several minutes of tape be cut from the video of a 2013 press briefing in which a reporter asked if the administration had lied about secret talks with Iran.

The embarrassing admission by State Department spokesman John Kirby came three weeks after another spokesperson insisted that a “glitch” had caused the gap, discovered only last month by the reporter whose questioning had mysteriously disappeared.

“This wasn’t a technical glitch, this was a deliberate step to excise the video,” Kirby told reporters.

Kirby said he had not been able to learn who ordered the deletion, which appeared as a jarring, undisguised white flash on the archived video posted on the State Department’s website and in its YouTube video.

“The recipient of the call doesn’t remember anything other than the caller, the individual who called this technician, was passing on a request from someone else within the public affairs bureau,” Kirby said, explaining the faulty memory by adding, “This happened three years ago.”

The curious gap in an old video of a public briefing is not of the same ilk as the famous 18 1/2- minute gap in audio tapes of President Nixon’s Oval Office conversations during the Watergate coverup. The official written transcript of the State Department briefing always carried the full exchange.

But it is likely to further fuel controversy over the administration’s nuclear deal with Iran, coming amid allegations that the White House duped the press and misled Congress and foreign policy scholars about the Iran nuclear deal that was implemented in January.

The missing portion of the video came to light in early May when James Rosen of Fox News was preparing a report on White House communications advisor Ben Rhodes, who had boasted to a New York Times Magazine reporter of having created an “echo chamber” to market the Iran nuclear deal and undermine criticisms from opponents. The magazine story said the White House portrayed it as a result of a moderate being elected president of Iran in 2013, when in fact secret talks had been underway since 2011.

Rosen recalled having asked about the secret talks at State Department press briefings twice in 2013.

At the first, in February, he asked then-spokesperson Victoria Nuland if bilateral talks with Iran, at the time still secret, were underway. She replied that “on a government-to-government level, no.”

Then in December, after the secret talks became public, Rosen returned to the issue with Nuland’s successor, Jen Psaki.

“Is it the policy of the State Department, where the preservation or the secrecy of secret negotiations is concerned, to lie in order to achieve that goal?” Rosen asked.

Psaki seemed to concur, replying: “James, I think there are times where diplomacy needs privacy in order to progress. This is a good example of that.”

But when Rosen called up the video, he was surprised to find that the entire exchange with Psaki, several minutes long, was missing. He asked the State Department about it, and it said that it had found an intact video in a repository and restored it.

“Genuinely, we think it was a glitch,” said Elizabeth Trudeau, director of the press office, in a May 10 briefing.

According to Kirby, who succeeded Psaki last year, the Rosen section was edited out the day Psaki made the statement, after a technician was called by someone within the press office.

“They learned that a specific request was made to excise that portion of that briefing,” he said. “We do not know who made the request to edit the video, or why it was made.”

Psaki, now White House communications director, denied it was her.

“I had no knowledge of nor would I have approved of any form of editing or cutting my briefing transcript on any subject while at the State Department,” Psaki said in a statement. “I believe deeply in providing the press as much information on important issues as possible.”

Doug Frantz, who was the assistant secretary for public affairs at the time, said he knew nothing of the episode.

“But I can assure that I would never have authorized removing anything from the public record and I would have forbidden anyone who worked for me in public affairs from deleting any material,” he said.

Kirby said there were no rules specifically barring this type of scrubbing. He said new rules would prevent it from happening again.

“My focus is on the future and making sure we have the right rules in place,” he said.

Ronin Truth
06-02-2016, 05:48 AM
How come so many 'glitches' turn out to be very conveniently timed?

timosman
06-05-2016, 03:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD9LW6x2Kwo

AZJoe
06-05-2016, 07:27 PM
State Department: "Yup, we intentionally deleted that video proving we lied about the Iran deal, but we aren't going to do anything about it hit a dead end in our investigation of the deletion. And there is not a dang thing anyone in the US can do about it, so Nya Nyah, nya Nya Nyah."