PDA

View Full Version : Should we get this video on TV?

Benaiah
12-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Should we try to get this video on air in Iowa or any other place?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSTHykU8dU

FreeTraveler
12-07-2007, 09:00 PM
There are several better ones that speak to a wider audience and give more information.

hillertexas
12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I don't think that would appeal to the Iowa demographic

Hope
12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
The more videos aired, the better.

d991
12-07-2007, 09:07 PM
I would like to see that ad aired in big cities like New York or Chicago. That's the feel I get from it anyway.

rory096
12-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't think that would appeal to the Iowa demographic
I agree. It would work well in other places, though.

Finn
12-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I would like to see that ad aired in big cities like New York or Chicago. That's the feel I get from it anyway.
But isn't the question OR any other place?

Therefore I dont understand why anyone would vote no.

rory096
12-07-2007, 09:11 PM
But isn't the question OR any other place?

Therefore I dont understand why anyone would vote no.
Didn't see that part :o

literatim
12-07-2007, 09:12 PM
It is a minute long. The longer the ad, the more expensive it is. It also does nothing to actually inform people what Ron Paul is about.

ItsTime
12-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Hit SC with that add NOW.

fortilite
12-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I like the Something Big ad #1.

Finn
12-07-2007, 09:18 PM
As a female, I just have this gut feeling this would attract some women to take a look at who the heck this guy is. It has this modern feel to it.

Hope
12-07-2007, 09:19 PM
It is a minute long. The longer the ad, the more expensive it is. It also does nothing to actually inform people what Ron Paul is about.

It's marketing. It's meant to draw people in, make them curious about who RP is. The most successful businesses aren't those who run commercials with the details of what exactly it is they are selling. They become successful by piquing the interest of the consumer and connecting with them via empathy.

fortilite
12-07-2007, 09:20 PM
This would be good rotating in with other ads in a media blitz.

Finn
12-07-2007, 09:29 PM
bump. I'm actually curious of what other women think about this ad.

yaz
12-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I like it but it's hard for me to decide whether this ad would be good enough.

Hope
12-07-2007, 09:37 PM

I love it. It speaks to a demographic that is by and large ignored by most political campaigns because of low voter turnout in the past. Sending the message to young women and women of color that we are holding a place for them in this revolution is a great idea. So many people who are not involved in politics need to be told, "Hey, don't be intimidated and don't throw away this opportunity. There's something going on here and we want you to be part of it." The video illustrates the crossroads that every person who has vaguely heard about Ron Paul has come to, where they either decide to make a difference or just keep walking. The psychological impact of this commercial is far greater than any, "Ron Paul stands for x, y, and z" ad ever could.

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 09:38 PM
It is a great video and all for its production qualities and I give props to those who put in the effort to make it, but it does nothing to explain Ron Paul's platform, or even inform the viewer what Ron Paul is about personally. It's merely, as I said before, bandwagon propaganda (not that I disagree with it). We should be running ads that focus on the uniqueness of the message (uniqueness by today's standards), and why Ron Paul is the only candidate with integrity.

Finn
12-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I love it. It speaks to a demographic that is by and large ignored by most political campaigns because of low voter turnout in the past. Sending the message to young women and women of color that we are holding a place for them in this revolution is a great idea. So many people who are not involved in politics need to be told, "Hey, don't be intimidated and don't throw away this opportunity. There's something going on here and we want you to be part of it." The video illustrates the crossroads that every person who has vaguely heard about Ron Paul has come to, where they either decide to make a difference or just keep walking. The psychological impact of this commercial is far greater than any, "Ron Paul stands for x, y, and z" ad ever could.
I so agree with you.

And I hate to make this a gender issue but I dont think many men see this ad the same way as women. If it won't be this ad please tell me you have something similar but even better in your pocket??

Hope
12-07-2007, 09:41 PM
It is a great video and all for its production qualities and I give props to those who put in the effort to make it, but it does nothing to explain Ron Paul's platform, or even inform the viewer what Ron Paul is about personally. It's merely, as I said before, bandwagon propaganda (not that I disagree with it). We should be running ads that focus on the message, and why Ron Paul is the only candidate with integrity.

McDonalds didn't get to be at the top of the food chain (oh, my love of bad puns) because it ran commercials talking about how it had the absolute best food with details on what ingredients go into that food. It's become as popular as it is because like any successful business, they realized that it was an image, an inundation, that they had to sell and not the food itself. They could have the best cuisine in the nation but it wouldn't help them become successful without a keen marketing strategy that dealt with something else entirely -- the psychology of the American public.

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
You are probably right, Hope. No wonder the campaign does such a bad job with women :confused:

Still, in this case, I don't think many people really grasp what the message and the man are all about, and if they did, they would flock to the campaign. In my opinion, we should do that first, and move on to marketing Ron Paul to the masses such as in this video.

Hope
12-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I so agree with you.

And I hate to make this a gender issue but I dont think many men see this ad the same way as women. If it won't be this ad please tell me you have something similar but even better in your pocket??

Yeah, I get that impression, as well. Some people are saying it's a bandwagon video when it's actually the opposite. The people who want a plain, dry rundown of RP's issues are already politically active, they already watch the debates and other political fodder. And sure, I'd be fine with running videos speaking to them, too but I think for the most part those people already have a basic idea of whether they agree with RP or not. The people commercials are supposed to speak to are not those kind of people. They are the people who haven't had a chance (or the inclination) to be exposed to a substantive amount of political happenings, and simply listing the issues RP is for or saying he has integrity really isn't going to do much for them. In part because for many people (and I know this because I go door to door doing voter surveys as part of my strategy to tell people about Ron Paul) the issues aren't all THAT important, at least not in comparison to the emotional response they receive from certain candidates. The other reason is that all the other candidates are going to run ads sound like an awful lot a like ("Integrity!" "Low taxes!" "Real change!"), both presidential and local, and the average viewer will put it out of their mind and not think twice about it.

This video is unique in that it does give some substance through Ron Paul's quotes, just enough to leave the viewer wanting to know more. It sends the message that we aren't just looking for the political buffs or the typical middle class male. This is a revolution of individuals, and even if you've never voted before or have never been politically active, now is the time to get involved.

We assume that other people are like us. And what we, at RPF, generally like are ads that go straight for the throat of politics. Most people aren't like that though, and we need to realize that it's marketing strategy like this that will bring precious new voters into the movement.

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I would agree with you Hope that most people who are politcally aware already know about Ron Paul, until I looked at the data. That is certainly not the case. Only 51% of all United States voters, Republicans, Democrats and all third parties, know about Ron Paul. Heck, even Huckabee is in the 80s I believe. Also, I saw on Pew's website yesterday, and only about 15% Republicans knew that Ron Paul was the only anti-Iraq War candidate on the Republican party. 90% knew that Rudy Giuliani was the mayor of New York City. There is still so many voters who has never heard of Ron Paul.

Benaiah
12-07-2007, 10:03 PM

This is the first YouTube video that I've showed my girl where she hasn't laughed and said "You guys are are crazy and have a lot of time on your hands."

Benaiah
12-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Here is what I like about this video-- the video may not get somebody to get on the computer and research Ron Paul, but it WILL stick in their head. Now picture the next time that they're driving down the road and see some Ron Paul supporters sign-waving; that video is going to jump into their mind and they're going to thing "hmmmm maybe that video was right, maybe there is something to this guy that I should check out."

[edit] this kind of video reaches out to people who are more inclined to become Ron Paul addicts (like us) and go on to convert XXXXXXX more people to Ron Paul. Traditional ads will get somebody to like Paul, and hopefully their vote, but videos like this draw in the activist who will go on to do great things for Paul (like we are).

Finn
12-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Don't you guys realise how powerful the "don't be that girl" message actually is? It's a message that encourages young women to become INVOLVED, not just be pretty dolls on streets. It appeals to sense of value, to actually contributing on something. To be active. That feeling I suppose is what makes shows like The View so popular.

I'm going to feel quite sad if this ad goes entirely to waste. It does NOT matter that the ad doesn't include all the greatest Ron Paul ideas, the image and curiosity it arouses is so much more important. IMO.

AtomiC
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah I think the ad is pretty good. Its like those "Who is Ron Paul" banners and such, it doesn't tell you what Ron Paul is about, but it really piques your interests to try and learn about him.

I think its a decent ad that would probably be targeted towards female voters.

Finn
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I think its a decent ad that would probably be targeted towards female voters.
Exactly. And I've seen men whining here how women won't join on board.

Finn
12-07-2007, 10:58 PM
bump

lawdida
12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Absolutely, this ad should be run. I don't know much about Iowa but why not? Obama is leading in Iowa and this seems like the kind of soft ad he'd use (I don't really know what I'm talking about). Too big city? I don't know. It should run somewhere though. Best production value I've seen yet (that didn't consist mostly of flashy graphics with issues flying by faster than I can read).