PDA

View Full Version : NYC Bans Bartenders from Denying Booze to Preggos

presence
05-10-2016, 06:34 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/9/nyc-de-blasio-forces-bars-serve-pregnant-women/

http://twt-thumbs.washtimes.com/media/image/2016/05/04/NYC_Schools_Mayoral_Control.JPEG-0358f_c0-217-5184-3239_s885x516.jpg?7d82ae4499eec61a4558b42b6fa0fdec 2c219c6e (http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/nyc-schools-mayoral-controljpeg-0358fjpg/)
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio testifies during a state Senate Education Committee hearing on extending mayoral control of city schools in Albany, N.Y., on May 4, 2016. (Associated Press) **FILE** more > (http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/nyc-schools-mayoral-controljpeg-0358fjpg/)

By Bradford Richardson (http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/bradford-richardson/) - The Washington Times - Monday, May 9, 2016
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Human Rights Commission released Friday new guidelines forcing bartenders in the city to serve pregnant mothers alcohol.
The guidelines say discriminatory “stereotypes” about what is in the best interest of the health of the “fetus” are impermissible by law.
“Judgments and stereotypes about how pregnant individuals should behave, their physical capabilities and what is or is not healthy for a fetus are pervasive in our society and cannot be used as a pretext for unlawful discriminatory decisions in employment, housing, and public accommodations,” the guidelines state.
The new guidelines were issued to clarify the New York City Human Rights Law, which bars discrimination “on the basis of pregnancy or perceived pregnancy,” according to the guidelines.
The guidelines provide examples of actions that constitute discrimination toward the pregnant, one of which is “a restaurant policy that prohibits staff from serving pregnant individuals raw fish or alcohol.”
Another example says bouncers cannot deny “a pregnant individual entrance to a bar based on the belief that pregnant individuals should not be going to bars and/or drinking alcohol.”
The U.S. surgeon general and numerous major medical associations advise expectant mothers not to drink alcohol.
Separate New York City regulations require bars to post warnings about the potential of consuming alcohol while pregnant to cause birth defects.

euphemia
05-10-2016, 07:33 AM
But they don't want to sell you a 32 ounce soft drink. Thank goodness the courts saw that one differently.

tod evans
05-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Why wouldn't nanny-state okay booze for babes?

It's perfectly acceptable to kill or drug them in-utero...

This is all part-n-parcel of "reproductive rights"........

FindLiberty
05-10-2016, 07:48 AM
But they don't want to sell you a 32 ounce soft drink.
Thank goodness the courts saw that one differently.

Babies born with fetal alcohol syndrome?
no health impacts here folks - move along

Money talks so babies can't.

staerker
05-10-2016, 07:49 AM
State sponsored child abuse, nothing new.

oyarde
05-10-2016, 07:53 AM
I am unconcerned with the law . I can tell you I am not denying a pregnant lady anything .

Anti Federalist
05-10-2016, 04:39 PM
So the government will force bartenders to serve pregnant women booze, which has proved negative health consequences.

But blow a puff of smoldering plant matter smoke at them.

APOCALYPSE!!!

Just when I thought things could not possibly get more fucked up and bass ackwards.

jmdrake
05-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Why wouldn't nanny-state okay booze for babes?

It's perfectly acceptable to kill or drug them in-utero...

This is all part-n-parcel of "reproductive rights"........

This. If a mother has the unrestricted right to kill her unborn at any time prior to when he/she escapse the prison of her womb, then why doesn't the mom have the right to kill a few brain sells?

GunnyFreedom
05-10-2016, 05:26 PM
I want to kick New York in the teeth right now.

oyarde
05-10-2016, 05:45 PM
I want to kick New York in the teeth right now.

No hope for it .

younglibertarian
05-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Welcome to 2016, where endangering lives is ok as long as the government approves.

Ronin Truth
05-11-2016, 09:14 AM
I SWAG NYC just must not have enough fetal alcohol syndrome disability cases yet. :( :mad:

euphemia
05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
According to the news reports I saw, the two examples were of pregnant women being denied entrance to venues that served alcohol. Bouncers would not let them in. It had nothing to do with bartenders serving anyone.

CaptUSA
05-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't care what the reason is - this whole idea that government can tell people who they have to do business with is extremely dangerous.

In order for a free market to operate, both sides of the transaction need to have the ability to refuse for whatever reason. If you are going to force people into transactions then liberty is gone. Who knows what they'll do next? They might even think they have the power to force consumers into buying things they don't even want! Like insurance?

jkr
05-11-2016, 10:28 AM
It's
For
The
Children?

TheTexan
05-11-2016, 10:32 AM
pregnant women booze, which has proved negative health consequences.

I'm sure the science makes it look that way but if the government says its fine then it's probably OK.

ZENemy
05-11-2016, 11:38 AM
all good, small price to pay for ROOOOOOADS

puppetmaster
05-11-2016, 11:57 AM
I am unconcerned with the law . I can tell you I am not denying a pregnant lady anything . nor should you be FORCED to serve them.

puppetmaster
05-11-2016, 11:58 AM
According to the news reports I saw, the two examples were of pregnant women being denied entrance to venues that served alcohol. Bouncers would not let them in. It had nothing to do with bartenders serving anyone. they should be able to be denied for any reason the establishment owner wants.

oyarde
05-11-2016, 02:00 PM
nor should you be FORCED to serve them.

I would consider them bad for business .

pcosmar
05-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Holy double negative.

pcosmar
05-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Babies born with fetal alcohol syndrome?

fetal alcohol syndrome,, is not caused by mom having a drink or two.

It is from alcohol poisoning,, habitual and excessive consumption.

and as usual a warning about excessive consumption has become prohibition.

it's New York

Kade
05-11-2016, 02:43 PM
A great example of the confusion of ideas and the waffling of ideologies. It is certainly okay for a bartender to refuse anyone service, there is no right to alcohol from my bar. This guideline prohibits that reason to be your personal estimation whether someone is pregnant or not. As much as women should know it's not a good idea to drink while pregnant, we can't or shouldn't be the ones to tell her no for that reason... (if it bothers you that much, refuse service for another non-discriminatory reason, this isn't mechanical engineering). I can never wrap my head around these types of arguments... it seems very clear to me.

The title of this stupid thread should be: New Guidelines in the City of New York Ban(or Bar) the Refusal of Service Based on Perceived Pregnancy Status of Women.

Followed by my personal commentary: Confused Redhats living in areas of the country with less of a population than my local gas station bathroom slam their keyboards most aggressively while chortling and muttering "Authoritarianism!" and "Tyranny!" -- perpetuated by that evil city that most certainly did not bore them their beloved Trump.

Ronin Truth
05-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Perhaps booze is a major contributing factor in how some of those preggoes got in that situation in the first place.