PDA

View Full Version : Straw Men:

Geronimo
12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2007/12/straw_men.html

December 07, 2007
Straw men

There will be plenty of head scratching, and more than a little disbelief, if Republican voting in Iowa and New Hampshire mirrors a recent straw poll conducted by the Republican Party of San Diego County.

Top vote-getter: Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 37% (117 votes). No big surprise there, though he was in a distant second place in a California Field Poll in August behind Giuliani.

Second place: Texas Rep. Ron Paul, 23 percent (73 votes). No, that's not a typo. And that may be a surprise to some of you, but given the number and intensity of questions from Paul's supporters during weekly Union-Tribune online political chats, no surprise here. Okay, we were a little surprised.

The Mike Huckabee boomlet apparently hasn't hit this crowd. :D

How the rest of the field fared among the slightly more than 300 voting Republicans from San Diego, Riverside Orange and Imperial counties who gathered in Rancho Bernardo Thursday night:

Rudy Giuliani 16% (51 votes).
Duncan Hunter 12% (36 votes).
Mike Huckabee 4% (14 votes).
John McCain 4% (12 votes).
Fred Thompson 3% (10 votes).
Tom Tancredo 0% (0 votes).

JosephTheLibertarian
12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
h ttp://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2007/12/straw_men.html

December 07, 2007
Straw men

There will be plenty of head scratching, and more than a little disbelief, if Republican voting in Iowa and New Hampshire mirrors a recent straw poll conducted by the Republican Party of San Diego County.

Top vote-getter: Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 37% (117 votes). No big surprise there, though he was in a distant second place in a California Field Poll in August behind Giuliani.

Second place: Texas Rep. Ron Paul, 23 percent (73 votes). No, that's not a typo. And that may be a surprise to some of you, but given the number and intensity of questions from Paul's supporters during weekly Union-Tribune online political chats, no surprise here. Okay, we were a little surprised.

The Mike Huckabee boomlet apparently hasn't hit this crowd. :D

How the rest of the field fared among the slightly more than 300 voting Republicans from San Diego, Riverside Orange and Imperial counties who gathered in Rancho Bernardo Thursday night:

Rudy Giuliani 16% (51 votes).
Duncan Hunter 12% (36 votes).
Mike Huckabee 4% (14 votes).
John McCain 4% (12 votes).
Fred Thompson 3% (10 votes).
Tom Tancredo 0% (0 votes).

dude, you only need to break links when it's a poll!!

Geronimo
12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Dude, you only need to quote me when there are multiple comments!!

JosephTheLibertarian
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Dude, you only need to quote me when there are multiple comments!!

I wanted you to know I was talking to you.

me3
12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Geronimo, thank you for posting the broken link. It's a good habit to be in. :)

Geronimo
12-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I wanted you to know I was talking to you.

I know, I was just light heartedly hassling you.

Besides. I knew you were talking to me when you called me 'dude'. :D

Geronimo, thank you for posting the broken link. It's a good habit to be in. :)

I think I'll just break the links to polls and bad press from now on.

InRonWeTrust
12-07-2007, 09:31 PM
SD has a huge Ron Meetup Group, I think.

Buzz
12-07-2007, 09:46 PM
So wait, why is it surprising that Ron Paul got as high as second place in a straw poll when he's gotten #1 in most of them?

tomaO2
12-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Because when Ron Paul gets FIRST they don't publish the polls. Those are the polls that don't count. Second place is the only way they pay attention to us because they want to promote whoever came in first.

Jerks. :mad:

AlexMerced
12-07-2007, 11:21 PM
lol, plus it's an am I right that there is a San Diego country in iowa?

Paul4Prez
12-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Huckabee has NO chance in California. I don't sense much support for Thompson or McCain, either.

It's going to come down to Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, and Rudy Giuliani. The winner of each Congressional district earns 3 delegates to the Republican National Convention, so it should be interesting.