PDA

View Full Version : It Takes 300 Hours to Become a Shampooer in Tennessee

tod evans
05-06-2016, 08:21 AM
From Drudge;

It Takes 300 Hours to Become a Shampooer in Tennessee

http://dailysignal.com/2016/05/02/it-takes-300-hours-to-become-a-shampooer-in-tennessee

Tammy Nutall-Pritchard had been braiding hair with her older sister, Debra Nutall, since she was 18 years old.

Nutall taught Nutall-Pritchard the craft when she was 15, and the sisters would stand side-by-side behind the chairs of scores of clients at Nutall’s Memphis, Tenn., salon who came in to get their hair braided while chatting and gossiping with customers.

Nutall-Pritchard did well—she charged around $300 per head and sometimes made more than $1,000 each week.

“It gave me joy,” Nutall-Pritchard, 47, told The Daily Signal of working with her sister. “She told me, ‘You learn a skill, it will bring an income for you if you do it the right way.’ She taught me to be the woman I am today, and she taught me that you can be your own boss.”

But Tennessee’s onerous licensing laws governing natural hair stylists like Nutall and Nutall-Pritchard eventually drove Nutall out of the state she and her family have called home their whole lives.

As a result, Nutall-Pritchard, who worked at the shop for more than six years, was out of a job.

Now, the 47-year-old works as a school resource officer to support her three sons.

In the meantime, Nutall-Pritchard wants to continue working in friends’ salons, shampooing hair and socializing, while making some extra money on the side.

But in Tennessee, Nutall-Pritchard needs a license to do that, too.

“Something so simple, they make it so hard,” she said of the state. “Something as simple as shampooing, they make it so hard for a woman like me to make money for a better life.”

So Nutall-Pritchard, with help from Nutall and Leanna Malone, Nutall’s granddaughter, teamed up with the Beacon Center of Tennessee, a free-market think tank, to challenge the state’s shampooing licensing laws and is arguing those regulations violate her economic liberty.

“For a common, everyday job like shampooing, we’re not talking an engineer or a doctor or something like that,” Braden Boucek, the Beacon Center’s director of litigation, told The Daily Signal. “For a common, everyday calling like shampooing, you have a fundamental right, and the state can’t just arbitrarily burden it.”

“To earn a living is a right,” he continued. “Everybody deserves a good job, and that’s something we should all be able to agree on.”

An Ongoing Licensing War

Nutall-Pritchard and Nutall have a long history of fighting licensing laws in Tennessee, but for them, the enduring battle scars come from regulations tied to natural hair styling.

Tammy Pritchard (Photo: Beacon Center of Tennessee)
Tammy Pritchard (Photo: Beacon Center of Tennessee)
Nutall learned braiding when she was a child and views it as an art form. At the time, there were no hair braiding salons and, as far as she knew, no easy way of opening one. So instead, Nutall decided to braid hair in between her 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift as a nurse’s assistant.

Nutall’s braiding was unique, and Memphis women began recognizing her styles in the supermarket or at the gas station. Nutall’s client base grew.

Nutall decided to purchase a space in an old bank building on Lamar Avenue in Memphis to compensate for her growing business. There, in 1995, she opened Dee-Nu-Tall Braid Academy.

Nutall continued to see success. After living on welfare and in public housing, the mother left the welfare rolls and bought a new house. The year she opened her salon, Nutall purchased her first brand new car: a 1995 Toyota Camry.

Debra Nutall (Photo: Beacon Center of Tennessee)
Debra Nutall (Photo: Beacon Center of Tennessee)
“I had to do something to come out of public housing, and it was honest and fair,” Nutall said of her business. “It bought me a new home and a new car and got me off of welfare and out of public housing, and therefore my children had an opportunity to see life in a different way.”

In 1996, the Tennessee General Assembly passed a law requiring natural hair stylists to attain a cosmetologist’s license through the state’s Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners.

Natural hair braiders like Nutall had excelled in their craft for years, learning braiding from their mothers and grandmothers. But now, the state was telling them they had to log more than 1,500 hours of education through an eight-week course with costs topping $12,000, Nutall recalled, and all for a skill she pioneered in Tennessee.

The business owner lobbied state and federal lawmakers in both Nashville and Washington, D.C., urging them to roll back the regulation. Nutall tried to explain that a cosmetology license, which covers perming, relaxing, and dying, was unnecessary for natural hair stylists, particularly because their craft dissuades the use of chemicals used by cosmetologists.

“I wanted us to stand as a separate entity from cosmetology because we didn’t do anything with chemicals,” Nutall said. “We can twist hair with our hands or braid with our hands. You don’t even need combs necessarily.”

The state board didn’t budge, and Nutall ended up closing her salon in 2010 because of the expensive licensing requirements.

Instead, Nutall moved 13 miles south of Memphis, across the state line, and into Southaven, Miss. In the Magnolia State, another braider, Melony Armstrong, had successfully challenged the state’s licensing regulations for natural hair stylists, just as Nutall had attempted to do in Tennessee.

Because of Armstrong’s efforts, hair braiders in Mississippi pay $25 to register with the state and no longer have to log 1,500 hours of education and experience to earn a cosmetology license.

“When I had my own business, being restricted like that, it really takes away from your business,” Nutall said of Tennessee’s licensing laws. “It can cause you to fail as a business owner because you need to have as much activity of work going as possibly when you own a tight business. You don’t want to be the only one in there. You also want to make revenue and an avenue for other people to earn an income.”

‘The Door Is Barred’

In Tennessee, not only do natural hair braiders need to attain a license, but those shampooing hair in their shops—known officially as shampoo technicians—do, too.

The Tennessee Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners defines a shampoo technician as a “person who brushes, combs, shampoos, rinses and conditions upon the hair and scalp,” and the state began requiring shampoo technicians to attain a license in 1996.

To get a license, aspiring technicians must pay a $140 fee to the state, complete at least 300 hours of education in a course on the “practice and theory” of shampooing, and must be at least 16 years old.

A 2015 catalog of coursework from the Franklin Academy lists tuition for the shampoo tech program at $2,700, which doesn’t include the $400 required book and kit, or the $100 in application and registration fees. The Franklin Academy is a nonprofit institution based in Cleveland, Tenn., that trains those seeking licenses in cosmetology.

“The curriculum is burdensome, expensive, and totally irrelevant to what they want to do,” Boucek said. “The fact they’ll specify what kit you must buy and that you have to go to school shows they’re concerned about making the individuals spend money that benefits the schools and limits competition, which is what you would expect from a statutory regime that is designed to benefit existing market participants.”

[Article goes on and on at link]

presence
05-06-2016, 08:30 AM
To get a license, aspiring technicians must pay a $140 fee to the state, complete at least 300 hours of education in a course on the “practice and theory” of shampooing, and must be at least 16 years old.

You really shouldn't be allowed to wash your own hair without a permit either. Its really unsafe. We should make this service mandatory, that will help offset the costs of obtaining permission to wash hair.

tod evans
05-06-2016, 08:32 AM
You really shouldn't be allowed to wash your own hair without a permit either. Its really unsafe. We should make this service mandatory, that will help offset the costs of obtaining permission to wash hair.

Tighter regulations on shampoo and water too!

Think how many children get injured every year by unsafe hair washing.......:eek:

Anti Federalist
05-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Not safe enough...TN needs to safen up.

Obviously, if 300 hours of safety training to wash hair is safe, then 600 hours would be twice as safe.

Anti Federalist
05-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Wonder how long it takes to become a cop?

Danke
05-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Not safe enough...TN needs to safen up.

Obviously, if 300 hours of safety training to wash hair is safe, then 600 hours would be twice as safe.

I don't know, 600 hours seems a little excessive to me.

Anti Federalist
05-06-2016, 12:01 PM

You're not being safe enough.

Nothing is excessive if it's to enhance safety.

Safen up, you.

fisharmor
05-06-2016, 12:34 PM
“For a common, everyday job like shampooing, we’re not talking an engineer or a doctor or something like that,” Braden Boucek, the Beacon Center’s director of litigation, told The Daily Signal. “For a common, everyday calling like shampooing, you have a fundamental right, and the state can’t just arbitrarily burden it.”

Does nobody else bristle at this?
The whole article is a distraction. It's not about doubting licensing requirements. The whole article is reinforcing licensing requirements.

Translation: You have no right to be a doctor or an engineer. Or really any job. We're going to take a stand on something that children are taught to do around age five... THAT you have a right to. Anything more complicated requires a license and you do not have a fundamental right to do it.

phill4paul
05-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Wonder how long it takes to become a cop?

Much, much harder curricular work load. A full 180 hrs. longer than for washing hair.

A twelve (12) week 480 hour training course

http://mpdacademy.com/lateral.php

Anti Federalist
05-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Much, much harder curricular work load. A full 180 hrs. longer than for washing hair.

http://mpdacademy.com/lateral.php

God bless those boys in blue, keeping us safe.

phill4paul
05-06-2016, 12:52 PM
God bless those boys in blue, keeping us safe.

Oh, and the "trainees" get paid while taking the course. I wonder if hair shampooers do?

During the Academy, a new recruit can expect to make approximately $3,000 a month.

http://www.criminaljusticedegreeschools.com/criminal-justice-resources/police-departments-by-metro-area/memphis-police-department-officer-requirements/

tod evans
05-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Oh, and the "trainees" get paid while taking the course. I wonder if hair shampooers do?

http://www.criminaljusticedegreeschools.com/criminal-justice-resources/police-departments-by-metro-area/memphis-police-department-officer-requirements/

Shampooing is a dangerous profession.........I've read more newz stories about killings in beauty parlors than I have about kop killings....

oyarde
05-06-2016, 01:41 PM
How many hours are needed for dog shampooers ?

Danke
05-06-2016, 01:45 PM
How many hours are needed for dog shampooers ?

Being that's a very dangerous job, I would imagine much more than 300 hours.

oyarde
05-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Being that's a very dangerous job, I would imagine much more than 300 hours.

Maybe The Texan should make us a list of how many hours of training are needed for dangerous jobs , could come in handy if I get bored with retirement and run for the legislature , lol

William Tell
05-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Did not know Shampooer was a word.

fisharmor
05-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Did not know Shampooer was a word.

I know a guy who got in a really bad car accident, where his lower GI was re-routed through an ostomy and then surgically closed.
He's a sham pooer.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-06-2016, 05:10 PM
This post can't be emphasized enough. I know people here get it, but petty mundanes won't get it.

+ rep x100

Does nobody else bristle at this?
The whole article is a distraction. It's not about doubting licensing requirements. The whole article is reinforcing licensing requirements.

Translation: You have no right to be a doctor or an engineer. Or really any job. We're going to take a stand on something that children are taught to do around age five... THAT you have a right to. Anything more complicated requires a license and you do not have a fundamental right to do it.[/COLOR]

Suzanimal
05-06-2016, 05:31 PM
I was homeschooled in shampooing. :cool:

complete at least 300 hours of education in a course on the “practice and theory” of shampooing, and must be at least 16 years old.

I'm pretty sure it didn't take me 300 hours to learn the dos and don'ts, I know I was way younger than 16, and I have no fucking clue what the "theory of shampooing":confused: is.

oyarde
05-06-2016, 05:49 PM
I was homeschooled in shampooing. :cool:

I'm pretty sure it didn't take me 300 hours to learn the dos and don'ts, I know I was way younger than 16, and I have no $#@!ing clue what the "theory of shampooing":confused: is.

When I was 16 , blonde girl down the way a few yr.'s older ran her hands through my hair all the time , kept it clean like other primates :)

DamianTV
05-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Well, so much for a career in Shampooing, or any other industry where Regulation is used as a form of eliminating competition.

MelissaWV
05-07-2016, 04:12 PM
I have no problem with licenses for things. I have a problem with them being mandatory.

If someone in a free society wants to put forth a seal of approval (a license, in these cases, is essentially just proof someone took some courses), then go for it. You can seek out the most experienced person to do your hair, and you can tell because they have hundreds of hours of practical experience and dozens of hours in the classroom learning theory.

Incidentally, though, none of this would tell you whether that person has any experience with your type of hair or your particular set of circumstances. Have they got experience with people who're going through excessive hair loss? What about nerve damage? Kinky hair? Hair that takes forever to dry? Hair that dries and frizzes before they even get to the chair? People with stitches in their scalp? The elderly? Those with high sensitivity to hot or cold water? Women with recently removed extensions? Natural curl (as opposed to kink)? Ear issues (so they can't get water in their ears)? None of that is going to be proven by some license or diploma.

tod evans
05-07-2016, 04:15 PM
I have no problem with licenses for things. I have a problem with them being mandatory.

If someone in a free society wants to put forth a seal of approval (a license, in these cases, is essentially just proof someone took some courses), then go for it. You can seek out the most experienced person to do your hair, and you can tell because they have hundreds of hours of practical experience and dozens of hours in the classroom learning theory.

Incidentally, though, none of this would tell you whether that person has any experience with your type of hair or your particular set of circumstances. Have they got experience with people who're going through excessive hair loss? What about nerve damage? Kinky hair? Hair that takes forever to dry? Hair that dries and frizzes before they even get to the chair? People with stitches in their scalp? The elderly? Those with high sensitivity to hot or cold water? Women with recently removed extensions? Natural curl (as opposed to kink)? Ear issues (so they can't get water in their ears)? None of that is going to be proven by some license or diploma.

That's all covered in the 600 hour extension course...........:cool: