PDA

View Full Version : Amash to run for Libertarian Party nomination?

Brett85
05-05-2016, 07:31 PM
This is just speculation, but some of Justin's recent tweets are interesting. He has a pinned tweet on the top of his page which simply says "soon," and in one of his tweets today he said "a party is a tool for identifying & organizing people w/ similar political views. It's not a substitute for morals, principles, or judgment." This could all just mean that he's planning on making a formal endorsement of the Libertarian Party nominee, not actually running himself. But, some of his tweets seem to suggest that it's at least a possibility that he could be thinking of running for President himself in the LP.

https://twitter.com/justinamash?lang=en

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 07:48 PM
This is just speculation, but some of Justin's recent tweets are interesting. He has a pinned tweet on the top of his page which simply says "soon," and in one of his tweets today he said "a party is a tool for identifying & organizing people w/ similar political views. It's not a substitute for morals, principles, or judgment." This could all just mean that he's planning on making a formal endorsement of the Libertarian Party nominee, not actually running himself. But, some of his tweets seem to suggest that it's at least a possibility that he could be thinking of running for President himself in the LP.

If he could manage to do it without losing his House seat, I'd be 100% behind him.

Origanalist
05-05-2016, 07:55 PM
I doubt it, but it would be a game changer if he did.

phill4paul
05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
I doubt it, but it would be a game changer if he did.

If he did Johnson, McAfee and Petersen should just stand aside. Honestly. Amash could easily get the LP 15-20% by the time the election came around.

Brett85
05-05-2016, 08:14 PM
If he could manage to do it without losing his House seat, I'd be 100% behind him.

What are the laws in Michigan regarding that? Can you run for two offices at the same time in Michigan?

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 08:15 PM
What are the laws in Michigan regarding that? Can you run for two offices at the same time in Michigan?

Good question, I have no idea.

Fly my Googlers, fly!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b7/cb/db/b7cbdba9c123da7f9baab6fda2ab9f58.gif

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 08:21 PM
So, he endorses Teddy "Trans Pacific Partnership/North American Union" Cruz, but since it looks like Trump is going to win the nomination, he wants to run against him to do his part to ensure that Hillary wins?

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 08:26 PM
So, he endorses Teddy "Trans Pacific Partnership/North American Union" Cruz, but since it looks like Trump is going to win the nomination, he wants to run against him to do his part to ensure that Hillary wins?

Yea...

You nailed it...

The whole liberty movement and all actual libertarians are just a conspiracy to prevent Dear Leader from making 'Murica Great Again!

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/357/3571857/2966325-3549600301-tumbl.gif

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Yea...

You nailed it...

The whole liberty movement and all actual libertarians are just a conspiracy to prevent Dear Leader from making 'Murica Great Again!

I don't think Amash speaks for the entire liberty movement, any more than you do.

But, I do find it odd that he would endorse Ted Cruz and then do this. Very odd.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 08:39 PM
I don't think Amash speaks for the entire liberty movement, any more than you do.

But, I do find it odd that he would endorse Ted Cruz and then do this. Very odd.

Amash is a libertarian.

There's nothing odd about a libertarian endorsing Cruz over Trump, as Cruz is somewhat libertarian-ish, while Trump is a progressive Democrat.

Nor would there be anything odd in a libertarian running against Trump.

What's odd is a "libertarian" supporting Trump.

specsaregood
05-05-2016, 08:42 PM

There is nothing in that twitter feed that would even remotely suggest that Amash is considering running for the LP presidential nomination. At most he might say he won't support Trump. Big whoop.

phill4paul
05-05-2016, 08:44 PM
There is nothing in that twitter feed that would even remotely suggest that Amash is considering running for the LP presidential nomination. At most he might say he won't support Trump. Big whoop.

and this. ^^^

Honestly, it would be just as likely that he might run for the Constitution Party.

It's all just speculation. Of course, the OP opened stating this.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Amash is a libertarian.

There's nothing odd about a libertarian endorsing Cruz over Trump, as Cruz is somewhat libertarian-ish, while Trump is a progressive Democrat.

Nor would there be anything odd in a libertarian running against Trump.

What's odd is a "libertarian" supporting Trump.

Cruz is about as close to a libertarian as a hole in the head. Unless you are saying all libertarians are globalists, who would sell their country down the river economically, placing international ruling bodies above our own Congress.

specsaregood
05-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Unless you are saying all libertarians are globalists, who would sell their country down the river economically, placing international ruling bodies above our own Congress.

You must be new here. In my time here, that is exactly what I've learned most libertarians are and support. One of the many reasons I won't identify as one of them.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 08:50 PM
You must be new here. In my time here, that is exactly what I've learned most libertarians are and support. One of the many reasons I won't identify as one of them.

Yeah, I keep hoping. Because Ron Paul isn't like that.

Brett85
05-05-2016, 08:52 PM

Trump is a far worse candidate than Cruz was, and will make a horrible President if he wins. It's not at all surprising that Amash endorsed Cruz but could make a 3rd party run against Trump and Hillary.

Brett85
05-05-2016, 08:54 PM

I don't agree that there's nothing in his twitter feed to suggest that, but I did put a question mark at the end of my sentence and said it was just speculation.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Trump is a far worse candidate than Cruz was, and will make a horrible President if he wins. It's not at all surprising that Amash endorsed Cruz but could make a 3rd party run against Trump and Hillary.

Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, Cruz is a flat out traitor.

Brett85
05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, Cruz is a flat out traitor.

In my opinion Trump is worse than Cruz on everything except for foreign policy. I do like a few of his foreign policy views like asking that our allies pay us for defending them. But, for me that just doesn't trump all of his liberal/progressive positions on domestic issues. He also changes positions constantly and doesn't have any kind of consistent worldview. He just believes in promoting himself.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 09:07 PM
At most he might say he won't support Trump. Big whoop.

That's a fairly large whoop, actually.

erowe1
05-05-2016, 09:11 PM

What would be odd about it? Both are moves to stop Trump. It's perfectly consistent.

And really, what alternative does he have? To just sit back and let Trump become president?

erowe1
05-05-2016, 09:12 PM
In my opinion Trump is worse than Cruz on everything except for foreign policy. I do like a few of his foreign policy views like asking that our allies pay us for defending them. But, for me that just doesn't trump all of his liberal/progressive positions on domestic issues. He also changes positions constantly and doesn't have any kind of consistent worldview. He just believes in promoting himself.

I'm not convinced that Trump is better than Cruz on foreign policy.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Cruz is about as close to a libertarian as a hole in the head.

Non-exhaustive list of anti-libertarian policies which Trump supports and Cruz does not:
-QE
-stimulus spending
-bank bailouts
-auto bailouts
-socialized medicine
-eminent domain
-45% tax on imports
-assault weapons ban
-Libya War
-Iraq War

Unless you are saying all libertarians are globalists, who would sell their country down the river economically, placing international ruling bodies above our own Congress.

Yea, totally, only a globalist would oppose the aforementioned policies, amiright?

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Non-exhaustive list of anti-libertarian policies which Trump supports and Cruz does not:
-QE
-stimulus spending
-bank bailouts
-auto bailouts
-socialized medicine
-eminent domain
-45% tax on imports
-assault weapons ban
-Libya War
-Iraq War

Yea, totally, only a globalist would oppose the aforementioned policies, amiright?

That might be true if your list was accurate; but it is not. Oh, and "amiright" is not a word.

Origanalist
05-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Oh goody. This must be the new thread everybody goes to to snipe at each other.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2016, 10:21 PM

You like the idea of the Trans Pacific Partnership? I think you might want to research that a bit more.

r3volution 3.0
05-05-2016, 10:23 PM
That might be true if your list was accurate; but it is not.

Oh? Which of those policies did Trump not support? Or which did Cruz support?

RandallFan
05-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Cruz flip flopped to a more draconian position on rounding up illegals than Trump's & profiling arabs. Then Amash endorsed him.

Brett85
05-06-2016, 08:27 AM
You like the idea of the Trans Pacific Partnership? I think you might want to research that a bit more.

I like the idea of lower tariffs between countries. I understand the TPP is thousands of pages of unnecessary rules and regulations, and I can understand why libertarians would be opposed to it for that reason. But, if you had a trade agreement that was simply one page long that said, "all tariffs between the United States and the other nations in this agreement are now repealed," then there certainly wouldn't be any reason to oppose it. Lowering tariffs is as much a pro liberty concept as is lowering taxes.

erowe1
05-06-2016, 08:45 AM

Brett is coming from the vantage point of a Ron Paul supporter.

erowe1
05-06-2016, 08:46 AM
I like the idea of lower tariffs between countries. I understand the TPP is thousands of pages of unnecessary rules and regulations, and I can understand why libertarians would be opposed to it for that reason. But, if you had a trade agreement that was simply one page long that said, "all tariffs between the United States and the other nations in this agreement are now repealed," then there certainly wouldn't be any reason to oppose it. Lowering tariffs is as much a pro liberty concept as is lowering taxes.

^This.

And Trump isn't even against trade agreements like the TPP. He just wants them to charge us higher tariffs.

phill4paul
05-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Trump supporters going after Amash now. LMAO! There is absolutely nothing and no one they won't excoriate in the liberty movement if it means Trump may not be crowned.

acptulsa
05-06-2016, 08:58 AM

Sanders fans are just as much 'low hanging fruit' as sane Republicans.

You keep pushing that meme and keep refusing to acknowledge repeated statements that no one--no one-- likes Hillary Clinton. But the fact of the matter is, there are anti-war Democrats, and there are anti-corporate Democrats, and there are Democrats who just don't trust scary bitches, and none of them have any grand plans to vote for Clinton. Any viable third party candidate could get their votes. In fact, for all we know (because if the powers that be doing any polling to find out, they sure as hell aren't telling us the outcome) a good LP candidate could put this thing over for Trump, and cause Clinton's little plan for one of her friends (and a presumably ex-Democrat) to win the GOP nomination by appealing to the lowest six percent denominator and scaring the rest of the world into her camp to backfire right in her face. In short, she could as easily lose more votes to a third party than her pet does.p

Sanders Democrats may be even more in the way of 'low hanging fruit'. Because there are a lot of Republicans who are total team players, and definitely inclined to screw themselves by supporting people that will gig them in the end.

Are you going to try to refute this, or are you just going to keep repeating over and over that a strong LP ticket will steal all of its votes from the Republican candidate, without ever offering a shred of proof?

Any Trump freak with a lick of sense would be cheering third parties on. The fact that no Trump freaks are cheering on third parties doesn't prove a damned thing except that there are no Trump freaks with a lick of sense. So, instead we get Trump fans overrunning forums, lying, refusing to debate when the lies are exposed and instead spamming other threads with the same debunked lies, trashing other candidates with spurious allegations, spamming forum members with spurious allegations, cackling publicly about the alleged death of the liberty movement, being completely numb to the obvious fact that they did nothing to build a team for their clown, and then grumbling that libertarians aren't being good little GOP team players...

Brett85
05-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Has anyone checked to see whether you can run for two offices at the same time in Michigan? I looked but couldn't find it.

Jak_
05-08-2016, 05:34 PM
If he did Johnson, McAfee and Petersen should just stand aside. Honestly. Amash could easily get the LP 15-20% by the time the election came around.
It's okay, Reid said he'll sweep all 50 states.

NewRightLibertarian
05-08-2016, 05:39 PM

I wouldn't mind Amash/Paul/Massie forming a new party on their own if Trump wins, but Amash going against him right now and essentially handing the Presidency to Hillary would alienate a lot of supporters and could ruin his political career.

WTLaw
05-08-2016, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't mind Amash/Paul/Massie forming a new party on their own if Trump wins, but Amash going against him right now and essentially handing the Presidency to Hillary would alienate a lot of supporters and could ruin his political career.
Trump is bad enough that the Hillary argument should not be a consideration. Trump might actually be worse than Hillary. George W. Bush was worse than Clinton, I think. You get extra demerits when you claim to be of the right and destroy the country. Trump nominally fits into that category (even though he is now coming out as the proud liberal we should have known him to be)

Amash is impressive enough that he could possibly get in and cause a domino effect. I believe the right guy can beat them both.

Origanalist
05-08-2016, 07:31 PM

Did I miss something? I was always under the impression LE was a Ron Paul supporter. Has she stated otherwise somewhere?

erowe1
05-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Did I miss something? I was always under the impression LE was a Ron Paul supporter. Has she stated otherwise somewhere?

I used to think so too.

LibertyEagle
05-09-2016, 02:31 AM

That's interesting, because Ron Paul is very much opposed to the TPP.

LibertyEagle
05-09-2016, 02:31 AM

I am. Have been for about 30 years, actually.

LibertyEagle
05-09-2016, 02:41 AM
Sanders fans are just as much 'low hanging fruit' as sane Republicans.

You keep pushing that meme and keep refusing to acknowledge repeated statements that no one--no one-- likes Hillary Clinton. But the fact of the matter is, there are anti-war Democrats, and there are anti-corporate Democrats, and there are Democrats who just don't trust scary bitches, and none of them have any grand plans to vote for Clinton. Any viable third party candidate could get their votes. In fact, for all we know (because if the powers that be doing any polling to find out, they sure as hell aren't telling us the outcome) a good LP candidate could put this thing over for Trump, and cause Clinton's little plan for one of her friends (and a presumably ex-Democrat) to win the GOP nomination by appealing to the lowest six percent denominator and scaring the rest of the world into her camp to backfire right in her face. In short, she could as easily lose more votes to a third party than her pet does.
I can't see how this negates what I said at all.

Sanders Democrats may be even more in the way of 'low hanging fruit'. Because there are a lot of Republicans who are total team players, and definitely inclined to screw themselves by supporting people that will gig them in the end.

Are you going to try to refute this, or are you just going to keep repeating over and over that a strong LP ticket will steal all of its votes from the Republican candidate, without ever offering a shred of proof?

When did I say this. Post it. And when did I ever care if you wanted to go chase after Sanders' people? I personally would not be the person to do that, because to me, they seem so far gone. But, if that's your thing, knock your socks off.

Any Trump freak with a lick of sense would be cheering third parties on. The fact that no Trump freaks are cheering on third parties doesn't prove a damned thing except that there are no Trump freaks with a lick of sense. So, instead we get Trump fans overrunning forums, lying, refusing to debate when the lies are exposed and instead spamming other threads with the same debunked lies, trashing other candidates with spurious allegations, spamming forum members with spurious allegations, cackling publicly about the alleged death of the liberty movement, being completely numb to the obvious fact that they did nothing to build a team for their clown, and then grumbling that libertarians aren't being good little GOP team players...
Name-calling again? Really?

No one said that you couldn't or shouldn't do whatever it is you want to do with the Libertarian Party. Why on earth would anyone care? But, since you do not speak for all libertarians, nor is this forum Libertarian Central, do understand that there will be other viewpoints. In the end, liberty is not a concept held by only libertarians. Ron Paul knew this and it was how the movement was built.

NewRightLibertarian
05-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Trump is bad enough that the Hillary argument should not be a consideration. Trump might actually be worse than Hillary. George W. Bush was worse than Clinton, I think. You get extra demerits when you claim to be of the right and destroy the country. Trump nominally fits into that category (even though he is now coming out as the proud liberal we should have known him to be)

Amash is impressive enough that he could possibly get in and cause a domino effect. I believe the right guy can beat them both.

That's not how millions of conservatives would see it though, and in politics, perception is reality.

Smitty
05-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Amash took a severe hit to his effectiveness when he aligned himself with Cruz. Cruz worked with (globalist) Paul Ryan to get TPP pushed through.

TPP is a globalist initiative.

Amash should have steered clear of Cruz. Cruz is poison,..especially now.

jmdrake
05-09-2016, 11:46 AM

That's one helluva "if".

erowe1
05-09-2016, 11:47 AM
That's interesting, because Ron Paul is very much opposed to the TPP.

Unlike Trump.

WTLaw
05-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Amash took a severe hit to his effectiveness when he aligned himself with Cruz. Cruz worked with (globalist) Paul Ryan to get TPP pushed through.

TPP is a globalist initiative.

Amash should have steered clear of Cruz. Cruz is poison,..especially now.

He can cast that endorsement as a desperate attempt to get %50 of what he wanted, with Cruz, as opposed to Trump, which is %90 bad. I think he can explain that one.

I do agree that if he loses, some of the protrump people will blame him. But considering that most of the trump people are crawling out of holes in the ground, and are likely to return to said holes when Trump gets beaten either way, I think he can survive their stink eye glances. He is a congressman right now, but he can be big. Go big or go home. As a congressman he is great, but a single congressman can't help us like a true libertarian push for President. Trump/Clinton is too big of a problem not to chance it, Amash is right now playing the role of a pawn on the chessboard...a congressman...but he could be the Queen. We need that. Its worth risking a pawn's seat. (maybe not a senators)

Wilf
05-12-2016, 10:18 AM
I find this mini-feud kind of interesting:

https://twitter.com/jeffdeist/status/730453686288273408