PDA

View Full Version : California's smoking age raised from 18 to 21 under bills signed by Gov. Brown

Brian4Liberty
05-05-2016, 09:56 AM
California's smoking age raised from 18 to 21 under bills signed by Gov. Brown (http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-smoking-bills-20160504-story.html)
Smoking and vaping laws signed in California

Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday signed a pack of bills that will raise the smoking age in California from 18 to 21, restrict the use of electronic cigarettes in public places and expand no-smoking areas at public schools.
Brown did not comment on the other bills that he signed, but state Sen. Ed Hernandez (D-West Covina) said approval of his bill raising the smoking age will save lives.

“The governor’s signature on Tobacco 21 is a signal that California presents a united front against Big Tobacco," Hernandez said in a statement. "Together, we stand to disrupt the chain of adolescent addiction."

The package of bills was touted as the “most expansive” effort to control tobacco use in the state in more than a decade. The bills were backed by a coalition of medical groups including the American Heart Assn, American Lung Assn., American Cancer Society and the California Medical Assn.
“California took a step backwards today by reclassifying vapor products as tobacco,” the group said in a statement. “Stigmatizing vapor products, which contain no tobacco, and treating them the same as combustible tobacco while actively seeking to economically penalize smokers attempting to switch is counterproductive to public health.”
Brown’s signature makes California the second state in the nation to raise the tobacco age to 21, following Hawaii. Hernandez authored the bill in an effort to reduce the number of young people who start smoking.
Under other legislation signed by the governor, electronic cigarettes are considered to be tobacco products and cannot be used in restaurants, theaters, bars and other places where smoking has long been banned. They also cannot be marketed to minors.
“The e-cigarette is nothing more than a new delivery system for toxic and addictive nicotine,” Leno said Wednesday. “Ensuring that e-cigarettes fall under California’s comprehensive smoke-free laws is critical to protecting public health, especially given the alarming rate at which young people are picking up these devices."
Other measures signed by the governor will:

— Close loopholes in the ban on smoking in workplaces to include warehouses, gambling clubs, motel lobbies, covered parking lots and other public areas left out of the existing law.

— Expand the tobacco-free campus law to include more areas of charter schools and public school facilities and offices.

— Raise the licensing fee for tobacco retailers from a one-time $100 charge per location to $265 annually, and boost the annual fee for distributors and wholesalers from $1,000 to $1,200 to better cover the state’s enforcement costs.
More: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-smoking-bills-20160504-story.html

Chomp
05-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Now young adults will smuggle cjgs to Cali from other neighboring states.

puppetmaster
05-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Now young adults will smuggle cjgs to Cali from other neighboring states. nice for my business Thanks gov.

Chomp
05-05-2016, 03:19 PM
nice for my business Thanks gov.
Now it will be as in NYC. Forget Hawaii, it is land in the ocean without bordering states where 18 or 19. Now adults 18+ will drive to Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona to buy smokes not by packs, but by whole cartons. The black market will jump in California as it is in NYC. Plus fake ID as it goes with alcohol.

otherone
05-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Now it will be as in NYC. Forget Hawaii, it is land in the ocean without bordering states where 18 or 19. Now adults 18+ will drive to Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona to buy smokes not by packs, but by whole cartons. The black market will jump in California as it is in NYC. Plus fake ID as it goes with alcohol.

How will they pay cops to strangle people for selling gray market products if folks are paying vice taxes to other states? It doesn't add up.

Chomp
05-05-2016, 03:34 PM
How will they pay cops to strangle people for selling gray market products if folks are paying vice taxes to other states? It doesn't add up.
Welcome to a totalitarian state !

DamianTV
05-05-2016, 03:35 PM
And by the flip of a pen, an ordinary person has been turned into a criminal. You cant make a group of people healthier by turning them into criminals for any unhealthy but victimless crimes. This isnt about health, its about control.

Brian4Liberty
05-05-2016, 03:38 PM
California: 21+ to get cigs or vape, only 18+ for marijuana.

puppetmaster
05-05-2016, 03:43 PM

so messed up wow steer them to get stoned....

phill4paul
05-05-2016, 03:46 PM
18-21 year olds need to be collectively saying you'll get our taxes when we get our full rights.

timosman
05-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Escapism FTW!:mad:

tod evans
05-05-2016, 03:48 PM

I'd been smoking weed and tobacco, drinking shine too for several years before turned 18.........

Ate my first sugar cube at 12...:eek::cool:

Chomp
05-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Next, they say to adults 18-20 to go to the back of the bus. But the elderly aged adults to be euthanized. The land of the slaves and a home of the cowards !

puppetmaster
05-05-2016, 03:55 PM
I'd been smoking weed and tobacco, drinking shine too for several years before turned 18.........

Ate my first sugar cube at 12...:eek::cool:

not everyone has the sense to regulate consumption as well as you do. but hey let them fry,I don't care just stop feeding them on my tax dollar and my hard work.

I am just saying these Regs are BS and also not all people that do drugs are lazy......

oyarde
05-05-2016, 04:18 PM

I started paying taxes at 15 , graduated High School,joined the Army @ 17 , got to vote @ 18 , :) but I could buy cigarettes out of a vending machine .LOL

Chomp
05-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Because this generation of young adults are nothing, but cowards. Their predecessors of the past had courage to protest any forms of prejudice legislated by government. Today, our evil nation only can do is oppressing her citizens, whether things are being based on ages or Faith morals. And motivating radical thugs in other countries like Egypt, Syria, Ukraine to topple their leaders, because this evil Uncle Sam wants to rule the world. Sorry, my friends on this RP forum. It might be rude , but I have to tell the truth.

twomp
05-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Because this generation of young adults are nothing, but cowards. Their predecessors of the past had courage to protest any forms of prejudice legislated by government. Today, our evil nation only can do is oppressing her citizens, whether things are being based on ages or Faith morals. And motivating radical thugs in other countries like Egypt, Syria, Ukraine to topple their leaders, because this evil Uncle Sam wants to rule the world. Sorry, my friends on this RP forum. It might be rude , but I have to tell the truth.

This generation of young adults aren't the ones passing the laws. It's their predecessors, the ones that you are holding up on a pedestal that are the ones that are currently fking this country. Look in the mirror.

Chomp
05-05-2016, 05:37 PM
This generation of young adults aren't the ones passing the laws. It's their predecessors, the ones that you are holding up on a pedestal that are the ones that are currently fking this country. Look in the mirror.
Sadly, people forgot words of Thomas Jefferson and Patric Henry. " Give me liberty or give me death ! " Death seems to be better. Fortunately poverty is far best. Poverty always motivates the oppress to rise, when the economic and political hard times painfully hit the land.

tod evans
05-05-2016, 05:57 PM

It's the useless pieces of shit in my generation that have brought all of us to this point...

It's the useless pieces of shit in their generation that let the behavior continue.....

Chomp
05-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Some Americans started leaving the US looking for better places where more liberties still in place.

tod evans
05-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Some Americans started leaving the US looking for better places where more liberties still in place.

Run, fight or submit..........

Slave Mentality
05-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Burn one = 21
Kill for my freedoms = 18

How do the motherfuckers have ANY credibility left? Oh yeah, guns, cages, and laws allowing them to subjugate us.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

phill4paul
05-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I started paying taxes at 15 , graduated High School,joined the Army @ 17 , got to vote @ 18 , :) but I could buy cigarettes out of a vending machine .LOL

And they gave you a pack of matches in the bargain!

Chomp
05-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Burn one = 21
Kill for my freedoms = 18

How do the motherfuckers have ANY credibility left? Oh yeah, guns, cages, and laws allowing them to subjugate us.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.\
Kill for freedoms ? What freedoms ! ? Freedoms are dead. You now must die at war for Uncle Sam's hegemony and for your oppression at home. With our tyrants, drinking age will be 25 tomorrow. I am not kidding, my friend.

Chomp
05-05-2016, 08:07 PM
And they gave you a pack of matches in the bargain!
Matches and lighters at 21, too. Bad days ! Energy drinks will be targets for 21. :(

DamianTV
05-06-2016, 02:23 AM
I am now half tempted to try to convince California to outlaw Coffee for anyone under 21 also, being more morbidly curious just to see if they are fucking stupid enough to do it...

Sadly, I think they probably would ban Coffee to under 21 also...

tod evans
05-06-2016, 02:45 AM
I am now half tempted to try to convince California to outlaw Coffee for anyone under 21 also, being more morbidly curious just to see if they are fucking stupid enough to do it...

Caffeine is a stimulant, all stimulants are the same in the eyes of those looking to exercise control over others...

Speed kills.

http://www.wussu.com/humour/images/fff_sp01.jpg

Chomp
05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
I am now half tempted to try to convince California to outlaw Coffee for anyone under 21 also, being more morbidly curious just to see if they are $#@!ing stupid enough to do it...

No kidding, my friend. One time on the radio, I heard that coffee houses were targeted. Claims that teens and young ADULTS drinks strong coffees. And pushing hope for this over adult age 21. Same with energy drinks. No lies.

phill4paul
05-06-2016, 08:04 AM

Energy drinks. 18-21 yr. olds would be rioting in the streets. ;)

Chomp
05-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Adult Californians who live closer to NV, OR, and AZ borders will have no problems to go to buy smokes. Where I live, to drive to AZ closest place is 2 hrs as to drive to San Diego. The convenient stores, supermarkets, etc are going to be rich there on sigs sales on 18-20 years old Californians. There no border customs between states nationwide. Who does check adult New Yorkers as they use commuter trains to neighboring Long Island and Yonkers ? Are there SS cops who check all train commuters and motorists ?

Brian4Liberty
05-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Big Mommy government knows what is best for you.

Chomp
05-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Big Mommy government knows what is best for you.
Hitler was a Big Mommy example in world history.

dannno
05-06-2016, 12:39 PM

That's a tough one, because they would be like "but what about caffeinated soda?" and then you have this whole issue with vending machines that sell caffeinated sodas.

Also I think we saw with the popularity of Honey Boo Boo that people don't seem to have a huge issue with children as young as 3 or 4 be hyped up on energy drinks.

Chomp
05-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Adults ages 18-20, go to the back of the bus . Violators will be jailed.

DamianTV
05-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Progressive Decline.

We have reached a tipping point in the course of our society where Rights have been converted to Permissions and those Permissions are granted only to some people where the factors that determine whether or not a person is granted said Permission are based on things that are beyond any measure of control of the individual. There is no intention of granting any Permission to any individual based on the level of responsibility that the individual will take. We have a society of irresponsible adults, and even less responsible children. Children are expected to be irresponsible, and should they ever behave responsibly, they are ignored. People as a whole are given levels of importance based on idiotic criteria, gender, age, race, place of birth, Zodiac Sign, Social Security Number, first letter of last name, etc. Our adults are treated by our government as children, thus, they have learned to behave like children. Big problem with Big Brother or Big Daddy is those who claim authority and take no personal responsibility is they justify their own immoral actions and will continue to do so, thereby turning the Road to Hell into a fucking Super Highway. They genuinely believe that they should not be expected to produce themselves, yet, be granted / usurp authority to grant permission to others to produce. The moral fabric of our society is no longer woven by society itself, but profiteers who would prosper greatly by the usurped authority to deem every normal and natural human behavior, and benefit on both sides of regulation of those behaviors at the expense of the individual.

The only conclusion that people should draw from this fiasco is that those who determine our moral codes are themselves too corrupt to be granted any authority that extends beyond their own true personal rights, especially the authority to determine the Permissions of actions of any other person in any way shape or form.

The greatest fiction of the Parasite Class of Rulers is that we need them to determine our Moral Code.

Chomp
05-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Progressive Decline.

We have reached a tipping point in the course of our society where Rights have been converted to Permissions and those Permissions are granted only to some people where the factors that determine whether or not a person is granted said Permission are based on things that are beyond any measure of control of the individual. There is no intention of granting any Permission to any individual based on the level of responsibility that the individual will take. We have a society of irresponsible adults, and even less responsible children. Children are expected to be irresponsible, and should they ever behave responsibly, they are ignored. People as a whole are given levels of importance based on idiotic criteria, gender, age, race, place of birth, Zodiac Sign, Social Security Number, first letter of last name, etc. Our adults are treated by our government as children, thus, they have learned to behave like children. Big problem with Big Brother or Big Daddy is those who claim authority and take no personal responsibility is they justify their own immoral actions and will continue to do so, thereby turning the Road to Hell into a $#@!ing Super Highway. They genuinely believe that they should not be expected to produce themselves, yet, be granted / usurp authority to grant permission to others to produce. The moral fabric of our society is no longer woven by society itself, but profiteers who would prosper greatly by the usurped authority to deem every normal and natural human behavior, and benefit on both sides of regulation of those behaviors at the expense of the individual.

The only conclusion that people should draw from this fiasco is that those who determine our moral codes are themselves too corrupt to be granted any authority that extends beyond their own true personal rights, especially the authority to determine the Permissions of actions of any other person in any way shape or form.

The greatest fiction of the Parasite Class of Rulers is that we need them to determine our Moral Code.
History repeats itself. For example, Joseph Stalin was the father of the nation (USSR) and a perfect nanny from cradle to grave. Graves were for everyone every hour, as bullets were fired in human flesh.

PRB
05-07-2016, 09:50 PM
further proof that liberals are the real Nazis

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-07-2016, 10:29 PM
further proof that liberals are the real Nazis

So you're a Jewish Nazi. Well, that's interesting. :confused:

Chomp
05-08-2016, 09:29 AM
The good thing for adult people ages 18-21 to protest by stopping paying taxes to government that takes away their general adult rights. No equal general, no taxes Uncle Sam ! In bad case, young adult Americans must take courage as they took their stand in 1971 for voting age.

PRB
05-08-2016, 12:37 PM
So you're a Jewish Nazi. Well, that's interesting. :confused:

I'm not a Christ killer, or a rich hater or a racist, so I don't know why you keep accusing me of this.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-09-2016, 05:33 AM
I'm not a Christ killer, or a rich hater or a racist, so I don't know why you keep accusing me of this.

Accusing you?! Relax, big boy. You're ashamed to say you're Jewish?

Chomp
05-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Anti-Semitism and ageism like 21.

DamianTV
05-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Here is something that truly worries me: California to make online disagreements illegal.

Im not fond of seeing fighting going on, even online, but people do have a Right to Free Speech, so even if I dont personally care to observe it, I have to support peoples Right to be able to do it. Now, given our current course of the Nanny State, anyone else think that some Neocon will eventually try to make online arguments / disagreements illegal and punishable?

Chomp
05-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Here is something that truly worries me: California to make online disagreements illegal.

Im not fond of seeing fighting going on, even online, but people do have a Right to Free Speech, so even if I dont personally care to observe it, I have to support peoples Right to be able to do it. Now, given our current course of the Nanny State, anyone else think that some Neocon will eventually try to make online arguments / disagreements illegal and punishable?
Californication have censorship with speech, too, nowadays. I am a witness, because I live in Cali.

PRB
05-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Accusing you?! Relax, big boy. You're ashamed to say you're Jewish?

Everybody should be ashamed to be a Christ killer. Christ died for our sins and Jews hate him for it.

DamianTV
05-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Everybody should be ashamed to be a Christ killer. Christ died for our sins and Jews hate him for it.

Im more ashamed to be an American, who has failed to reign in the evils that run our country and ruin the rest of the world than I am to be a Christ killer.

But there in lies the problem. Guilt is a very powerful manipulating tool when in skilled hands, be it white shame vs black pride, religion, or country affiliation. The results of this type of manipulation becomes an enabling force for allowing evil to triumph while only appearing to be good. This is why good men do nothing and allow evil selfish bastards to do their dastaradly work. This is why "good men" kill other "good men". I recognize the intent of manipulation of guilt and thus do not succumb to it and do not burden myself with it. That is the difference between the Responsibility that comes with Freedom and manipulative Guilt.

Its like trying to manipulate you (or anyone) to feeling guilt because they ate food that came from animals. Or being any skin color or gender or religion or nationality. These are all things that are beyond any individuals measure of control, yet, look at what others tell us we should feel guilt about. We are expected to feel guilty when we have been deprived of the ability to pay our bills. Yet, the bill collectors are not expected to feel any guilt when they take even more from the poor and give it to the rich. The rich are even expected to feel tremendous guilt because they are rich, but its not that they are rich by making many others poor, it is the way by which their riches were acquired.

Personally, I expect no one to ever respond to any sort of guilt manipulation that they think I would lay upon them. I would only like to ask that they take responsibility for the things they do have the ability to influence and seek cooperative solutions to any problems with others. Guilt is a powerful divider of men, and responsibility without shame I think is a better for unifying people as a whole.

Just my two cents. And, yes, people are also expected to feel guilt if they smoke because *reasons* and those reasons ultimately manipulate the true freedom of people to choose for themselves how to live.

---

Californication have censorship with speech, too, nowadays. I am a witness, because I live in Cali.

Im only 10 miles away from cali, so I also see the same shit from them. They dont tend to confine their ideas within state borders. Their idea is make everyone think like they do, and if they dont, they are the fucking devil, including those who just want to be left alone.

PRB
05-11-2016, 04:09 AM
Im more ashamed to be an American, who has failed to reign in the evils that run our country and ruin the rest of the world than I am to be a Christ killer.

What a surprise, a Christ killer with no shame or hates a country that welcomes people of all religions. Our country wastes billions each year to save them from Muslims and what we do we get back in return?

But there in lies the problem. Guilt is a very powerful manipulating tool when in skilled hands, be it white shame vs black pride, religion, or country affiliation. The results of this type of manipulation becomes an enabling force for allowing evil to triumph while only appearing to be good. This is why good men do nothing and allow evil selfish bastards to do their dastaradly work. This is why "good men" kill other "good men". I recognize the intent of manipulation of guilt and thus do not succumb to it and do not burden myself with it. That is the difference between the Responsibility that comes with Freedom and manipulative Guilt.

Its like trying to manipulate you (or anyone) to feeling guilt because they ate food that came from animals. Or being any skin color or gender or religion or nationality. These are all things that are beyond any individuals measure of control, yet, look at what others tell us we should feel guilt about. We are expected to feel guilty when we have been deprived of the ability to pay our bills. Yet, the bill collectors are not expected to feel any guilt when they take even more from the poor and give it to the rich. The rich are even expected to feel tremendous guilt because they are rich, but its not that they are rich by making many others poor, it is the way by which their riches were acquired.

Personally, I expect no one to ever respond to any sort of guilt manipulation that they think I would lay upon them. I would only like to ask that they take responsibility for the things they do have the ability to influence and seek cooperative solutions to any problems with others. Guilt is a powerful divider of men, and responsibility without shame I think is a better for unifying people as a whole.

Just my two cents. And, yes, people are also expected to feel guilt if they smoke because *reasons* and those reasons ultimately manipulate the true freedom of people to choose for themselves how to live.

I can't force you to feel guilty, I'm simply answering his question that I'm not a Christ denier.

DamianTV
05-11-2016, 05:22 AM
You're not, I am. Hmm, why do you think that could possibly be?

tod evans
05-11-2016, 06:00 AM
save them from Muslims

:rolleyes:

luctor-et-emergo
05-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Christ died for our sins and Jews hate him for it.
He didn't have to do that. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of my own sins, thank you very much. Nice gesture though.
Now I'm agnostic, but I won't spoil the party like an atheist would. :)
I don't know but it's nice that you do.

Now remind me what all of this has to do with this topic ?

PRB
05-11-2016, 09:15 PM
He didn't have to do that. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of my own sins, thank you very much. Nice gesture though.
Now I'm agnostic, but I won't spoil the party like an atheist would. :)
I don't know but it's nice that you do.

Now remind me what all of this has to do with this topic ?

NorthCarolinaLiberty accused me of being a Jew, so I responded.