PDA

View Full Version : helium Ron Paul Blimps for your Meetup group

Misesian
12-07-2007, 07:59 PM
There are a lot of people who are really excited about the official blimp, so a few us thought about the idea of a helium filled Ron Paul Blimp at the local level.

After one day of mentioning this to a few people we've got the funding covered for up to 20' blimp. The price averages about $2000 shipped for a blimp this size, and they are freakin HUGE!!

Here is an example of an 18' blimp:

http://www.theblimpworks.com/18ft_fireworksBlimps.jpg
18' helium blimp

A called a number of inflatable advertising companies and turnaround for a Ron Paul Blimp is anywhere from 4 days to averaging mostly about a week.

I called our city clerk's office and was told that a "special activities permit" would probably cover this though they do not know because they've never seen this before for a candidate. I of course responded with "There's a first for everything when it comes to the Ron Paul r3VOLution!" :) They were still not sure about any regulations covering the height of the blimp and it floating in the sky but I think that's only restricted by the FAA. As long as you're 5 miles from an airport you should be good.

Just tossing out this idea for any other meetup groups that want to get their own Ron Paul blimp.

I won't give any site names out (though that picture above kinda gives ONE away, but I spoke with them and they seem decent too) because we haven't actually made the order yet. If somebody ends up finding the best deal for the quickest turnaround time please post it!

fortilite
12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
There are also 3' remote controlled blimps you can buy for $80. Let's make blimps the grassroots mascot for the movement.

TechnoGuyRob
12-07-2007, 08:07 PM
There are also 3' remote controlled blimps you can buy for $80. Let's make blimps the grassroots mascot for the movement.

RonPaulBlimp.com should sell those.

OferNave
12-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Please believe me when I say I want my own blimp as much as anyone - they're too damn cool - but...

I don't want to poop the party, but always think twice about what the best way to spend your money is. I'm not saying this isn't it, I'm just cautioning against the effect enthusiasm can have on rationality.

fortilite
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I think blimps are cost effective. If you get a $2000 blimp you of course need to use it to attract attention to big meet ups, sign waves, material hand outs, etc. It can be used ineffectively, but it can also be used very cost effectively.

And a $80 blimp, well that's affordable. It can easily be used for solo or 2 person canvassing in crowded areas. Use it to get people around you, hand out slim jims to them.

Misesian
12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
You guys are missing the point. The few people who really REALLY liked this idea (just as they did the official blimp) came up with pledges to cover a 20' blimp in like one day because they liked the idea.

A 3' blimp for $80 will really do nothing in terms of visibility compared to one of these 20' monsters. Really are much bigger than you'd think when seeing them blown up next to a person.

philistineau
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Agreed.

These 20" blimps do a few things:
1. they grab and hold people's attention long enough for them to recognize "Ron Paul"; and
2. they tie in with the Ron Paul Blimp project.

GREAT IDEA!!!

Once you get it with the advertising on the side, post some pics!!!

McDermit
12-07-2007, 08:42 PM
don't forget to factor in the cost of helium for every event...

Misesian
12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
don't forget to factor in the cost of helium for every event...

Helium needed to fill a 20' blimp would be about 2 tanks worth. The vendor in NC told me that would cost about $120 over there.

We would simply not deflate the blimp.

If we cannot find somebody locally who owns a large flatbad to transport it than we might opt for the 13' which is still pretty big, but could be transported much easier.

I think once the media starts covering the official blimp, the logos on our helium blimps would be recongizable without even having to see the words, since it'd be the same as the official blimp.

Just looking to jump past this last regulations hurdle and our own blimp is as good as done!

OferNave
12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Can you get artwork matching the Ron Paul Blimp? Cause that should work more strongly than just some random Ron Paul message, I think.

My previous concerns aside, this is cool, I'm glad you're crew are supporting it, and I'm glad you're doing (and publishing) the research.

dircha
12-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey, what about one of those car top signs that a pizza delivery guy would use?

Anyone know how much it would cost to get one of them made with a Ron Paul message on it?

rollingpig
12-07-2007, 09:56 PM
time for some blimpin' !!!

Misesian
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
OferNave,

Yes the artwork would pretty much HAVE to match the official blimp to be worth it. As I think that you would not even have to read the words from afar, but if people see the stories about the official blimp they would very easily be able to recognize the r3VOLution logo on the helium one from afar, and possibly even the Who Is RON PAUL /GOOGLE RP one too.

I just emailed inquiries@RonPaulBlimp.com about releasing the artwork for small scale blimps for our group and any others that might want to do this too.

OferNave
12-07-2007, 10:13 PM

Anyone know how much it would cost to get one of them made with a Ron Paul message on it?

They are called 'car hats', and I've seen several Ron Paul car hats around. I've talked to their owners, and they informed me that a supporter is making and selling them on ebay for $90, but last I checked, there weren't any auctions up. Might want to check again.

Best thing is, if you live in an early primary state, after the primary you can resell it to someone else who can use it.

Misesian
12-07-2007, 10:14 PM

There are Ron Paul car toppers and window flags available here: http://www.victorystore.com/ron_paul/index.htm

Would not command the attention and sheer number of people as a helium blimp would though, which might also even get local media attention, and PROBABLY would if the huge blimp goes over well.

Misesian
12-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Ok, it looks like in my own area there are NO laws or regulations relating to floating a blimp (flying a kit, model R/C plane even, etc.) so the plan going forward is likely to just KNOW this fact, have the code on hand and show whatever officer comes to harass us that we could not get a permit for one because one did not exist and it's regulated against. That and the fact that the city clerk didn't have anything to issue for us!

Next hurdle is transportation and "storage" (moreso where to fly it at on private property when we're not sign waving and having other events). I really hope we can find someone with a large flatbed or even a rig so that we can get the 20' blimp, otherwise will have to suffice for a 13' footer as shown below. Still pretty darn big, will grab attention.

http://www.theblimpworks.com/NowLeasingBlimp.jpg
13' helium blimp

Misesian
12-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Looks like somebody else already had this done, but with only an 8' blimp. Found this off a dailypaul.com post:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fIAqcNB3hCI

I wonder where they got the artwork from for the WHO IS?/Google Ron Paul logo. The blimp makers need this in vector format and I cannot get a response when contacting Trevor about the artwork.

Primbs
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
That is a cool blimp. Looks like Ron Paul and blimps are really catching on.

Pauliana
12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Next we'll see those mylar balloons... that would be cool. I want my own PERSONAL blimp. ;)

jgmaynard
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Ok, it looks like in my own area there are NO laws or regulations relating to floating a blimp (flying a kit, model R/C plane even, etc.) so the plan going forward is likely to just KNOW this fact, have the code on hand and show whatever officer comes to harass us that we could not get a permit for one because one did not exist and it's regulated against. That and the fact that the city clerk didn't have anything to issue for us!

Yeah. I'd say there is a pretty good argument to be made that the blimps are, in fact, covered by the same precedents which cover political signs., i.e., Freedom of political speech trumps any city or state ordinance. Heck, just fighting it for the sake of free media exposure is probably worth it. :D

JM