PDA

View Full Version : How would Ron Paul have addressed the Enron issue?

VoteRonPaul2008
12-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Specifically I'm looking for Ron Paul's stance on the role of the Federal Government in regards to Corporate Crime and criminals.

Matt Collins
12-07-2007, 09:32 PM
First off he probably doesn't think the energy and securities markets should be regulated by the federal government.

But secondly I am sure that he thinks that people who "stole" (if that was indeed the case) should be held personally and criminally responsible.

Honestly I don't understand the Enron situation enough to discuss it.

Brutus
12-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Enron is part of the climate created by 1) extensive regulation 2) unnaturally low credit costs via the Federal Reserve 3) congressional threats to control how higher ups in companies are paid.

Note that it wasn't the government who revealed the problems in Enron but an investment investigator.

Perry
12-08-2007, 10:17 AM
As I understand it...
Enron could only happen because the government regulated the energy industry so harshly. It was brought about because the government subsidized certain types of energy and therefor there was not a free market in any way in the energy industry. Arguing that de-regulation does not work is simply not applicable in this case because the playing field was not level to begin with. There have been too many constraints on alternative forms of energy in the U.S. and they just haven't been given the chance to get off the ground. As Ron Paul would say get the government out of the energy business and let the free market decide which type of energy it wants.