PDA

View Full Version : Unacceptable Newsweek Hit-Piece On Dr. Paul (Boycot)

anitasanger
12-07-2007, 07:11 PM
all right, cancel your newsweek subscriptions. newsweek has just libeled dr. paul in an unacceptable article. just check out all the comments at the bottom, they are getting HAMMERED. it seems that noone liked this article. if you subscribe to newsweek, i would urge you to cancel. just read the piece. irresponsible "journalism" at it's finest. (make sure you click on view all comments to see all the negative feedback)

http://www.newsweek.com/id/73372

Flash
12-07-2007, 07:22 PM
I just wrote a very long post on my newsweek account and it says this:

"Comments unable to be posted at this time".

Sounds like they got too embaressed.

anitasanger
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
fascists! i say hand mail them your letter along with your demand to cancel membership! i can't believe they stooped this low. it really is UNACCEPTABLE!

drfarrington
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
I left a comment.

Pete Kay
12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah there was a good debunking of this article on another site. What Ron Paul is doing is bringing attention to the issue and once that happens hopefully more Americans will get engaged in the dialogue.

nbhadja
12-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Don't post the link here! Several websites have been quoted saying that when a RP article is written by them, their traffic goes up 3-4 times.
These guys are killing 2 birds with one stone, bad mouthing RP AND increasing the website traffic.

Just post their email address and the text of the article if you must.

Shellshock1918
12-07-2007, 07:29 PM
all right, cancel your newsweek subscriptions. newsweek has just libeled dr. paul in an unacceptable article. just check out all the comments at the bottom, they are getting HAMMERED. it seems that noone liked this article. if you subscribe to newsweek, i would urge you to cancel. just read the piece. irresponsible "journalism" at it's finest. (make sure you click on view all comments to see all the negative feedback)

http://www.newsweek.com/id/73372

There was a counter-hit piece done on World Net Daily.

jasonoliver
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Newsweek is very anti-Paul

I called Michael Hirsh today who wrote the article about the "Huckabee Surge" and left out RP at 8%, but talked about John McCain at 6%

Hirsh was nice on the phone until I mentioned Ron Paul, then he quickly hung up.

Call Newsweek at 202-626-2000 - The extensions are the first 4 letters of the authors last name!

Mister Grieves
12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Who owns Newsweek?

jasonoliver
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Who owns Newsweek?

Washington Post Company

hawkeyenick
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
There was a counter-hit piece done on World Net Daily.

Doesn't count if no one knows who they are

FreedomLover
12-07-2007, 07:45 PM
news-weak has always been a liberal rag...I think the only real circulation they have left is for waiting rooms.

anitasanger
12-07-2007, 07:48 PM
irresponsible journalism should be held accountable, especially when it is libelous tripe attacking the future leader of our country who's record is pristine!

tesla23
12-07-2007, 07:53 PM
You know, there's just a tiny part of me wishing this whole thing would happen. That way, we can all throw it at the media and ask if it's still a "conspiracy."

A Ron Paul Rebel
12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Ron Paul wants you to be scared. There's a conspiracy in the land—what he calls a "conspiracy of ideas"—to give up America's sovereignty. It's a shadowy scheme that begins with the NAFTA "superhighway," a road as wide as several football fields that will link Mexico, the United States and Canada. "They don't talk about it and they might not admit it," Paul said at the CNN-YouTube presidential debate last week. He didn't say exactly who "they" are, but perhaps one can guess. "They're planning on [taking] millions of acres … by eminent domain," warned the prickly libertarian. But elected government officials aren't acting alone. There's "an unholy alliance of foreign consortiums and officials from several governments" pushing the idea, Paul wrote in October 2006. "The ultimate goal is not simply a superhighway, but an integrated North American Union—complete with a currency, a cross-national bureaucracy, and virtually borderless travel within the Union."

Only it's not true. The main purveyor of this broad conspiracy theory is Jerome Corsi, coauthor of "Unfit for Command," the book that helped Swift Boat John Kerry's presidential ambitions. His latest offering is "The Late Great U.S.A.: The Coming Merger With Mexico and Canada," which became a best seller on The New York Times's business list this summer. Corsi plays on growing nationalist fears. He sees a scenario in which a North American Union is born and shares a currency, the "amero." Even some right-wing standard-bearers regard the fears as over-blown. Jed Babbin, editor of the conservative newspaper Human Events, says: "I guess there are people who believe in [the plan for a North American Union]. But there are people who believe in Bigfoot." "The evidence is out there," says Corsi.

Like all good conspiracies, the NAFTA superhighway is a strange stew of fact and fiction, fired by paranoia. There is a big road planned. It's called the Trans-Texas Corridor. The idea was unveiled in 2002 by GOP Gov. Rick Perry. And it's true the corridor was originally designed to be 1,200 feet wide, including a highway for vehicles, railway lines, petroleum pipes, electricity and water lines and broadband fiber optics. (It's since been scaled back slightly.) A considerable swath of Texas land, perhaps as much as a half-million acres, will be taken by eminent domain.

It's also true that more than one organization wants to improve commerce between North American countries. The "unholy alliance" Paul speaks of is the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP). It was launched in 2005 by the heads of state of the United States, Mexico and Canada. Part of the SPP mandate is to increase security cooperation against terror threats. It also aims to improve trade. But much of the home page of the SPP Web site is devoted to "Myth vs. Fact." It dispels tales about a "secret plan" to build a superhighway.

Texas officials are still trying to convince locals their $180 billion idea was not hatched to undermine American sovereignty. Controversy stalled the project for several years, but now construction could begin in 2009. Perry has had to explain repeatedly that no federal funds will be used to build the project, and that Texas turned to private firms to finance the road because they could build it quickly without taxpayer money. (The contractor, Cintra-Zachry, is a Spanish-Texan consortium that expects to earn a profit by collecting tolls. Critics, even those who don't see a conspiracy, say the state is mortgaging its infrastructure to foreign investors.) Texas Transportation Commissioner Ric Williamson says he's startled by superhighway fears. He tells NEWSWEEK he had never heard of a North American Union until people started badgering him about it. "They say, 'Is this part of the NAU and the amero?' … And I say, 'What the hell are you talking about?' "

National politicians are facing similar questions. According to press reports, campaign aides have said that anxieties about the supposed scheme are the second most popular topic Mitt Romney is asked about in New Hampshire. Rudy Giuliani, whose law firm represents Cintra, has also taken questions about it. Ordinary people may be taking the conspiracy seriously because mainstream news organizations—and countless blogs—have. CNN newscaster Lou Dobbs, a trade protectionist, has featured the superhighway on his show as if it were a fact.
Corsi is only too happy to stir things up. When the Eagle Forum, a conservative association, presented him with an award in September for "courage and leadership in protecting America's sovereignty," Corsi offered a warning: President Bush's supposed determination to force North American integration, he told the audience, could cost the GOP the 2008 presidential election. Corsi may have a conspiratorial bent. But he sure knows how to spin stories that shake up an election—and at least one candidate seems happy to help him.

A Ron Paul Rebel
12-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Newsweak will DEFINITELY have to go on the boycott list at www.ronpaulsrebels.com

Let me know who some of their main sponsors are (AND THEIR CONTACT INFO) and I'll include it too.

vegetarianrpfan
12-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I called that number and put in the appropriate extension for this hack writer, and it said it wasn't a valid option.

----------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

Liberty Star
12-07-2007, 08:05 PM
It is critical of Ron Paul's stance on this issue but I don't think it is as bad as some of other vindictive attacks on Ron Paul. This article may even help Ron Paul gain more popularity despite its negatives.

I didn't like the openining line of the article but overall it is not as anti RP as some other crap in media. I say lets hold ourselves back here and instead spend that energy to support those who are writing positive stuff about RP and treating him fairly. If we do that, number of journalists fair to RP would grow.

hawkeyenick
12-07-2007, 08:05 PM
A boycott, WILL NOT WORK!

We have to offer alternative news sites, eventually the traffic will flow to sites that are truly dedicated to the truth.

Arklatex
12-07-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm going to donate even more on the 16th

Liberty Star
12-07-2007, 08:15 PM
This belongs in Bad Media Reporting section though, those in the grass roots who want to spend energy on this can consult with it there. I think that energy can be spent much better on other places instead of protesting about this lousy article that may even help RP a bit.

A boycott, WILL NOT WORK!

We have to offer alternative news sites, eventually the traffic will flow to sites that are truly dedicated to the truth.

Good point.

I'm going to donate even more on the 16th

Ditto.

maxbish
12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
So if I am reading this article right, Newsweak is accusing Dr. Paul of saying:

1. there are plans to build a "superhighway," a road as wide as several football fields that will link Mexico, the United States and Canada
2. "They're planning on [taking] millions of acres … by eminent domain," warned the prickly libertarian.
3. The ultimate goal is not simply a superhighway, but an integrated North American Union.

Then Newsweak says this:

"Only it's not true. The main purveyor of this broad conspiracy theory"

And Newsweak then follows up by saying the truth of the matter, and where Dr. Paul is wrong is that:

1.There is a big road planned. It's called the Trans-Texas Corridor. The idea was unveiled in 2002 by GOP Gov. Rick Perry. And it's true the corridor was originally designed to be 1,200 feet wide
2. A considerable swath of Texas land, perhaps as much as a half-million acres, will be taken by eminent domain.
3. It's also true that more than one organization wants to improve commerce between North American countries. ... Part of the SPP mandate is to increase security cooperation against terror threats. It also aims to improve trade.

Didn't Newsweak just confirm everything they accused Dr. Paul of saying??? What am I missing here?

Newsweak even adds:

"The contractor, Cintra-Zachry, is a Spanish-Texan consortium that expects to earn a profit by collecting tolls. ... Rudy Giuliani, whose law firm represents Cintra,"

It doesn't raise any red flags that the USA is selling our infrastructure to a foreign company, and that, coincidently, is represented by a current GOP top tier candidate? Shoudn't Newsweak as a news rag be investigating that tie instead of labeling Dr. Paul a conspiracy theorist?

I love how the article closes:

"Corsi may have a conspiratorial bent. But he sure knows how to spin stories that shake up an election—and at least one candidate seems happy to help him."

Again, I guess this is true to a degree. Dr. Paul is looking to shake things up. And you know what Newsweak? We as his supporters are only too happy to help him!

This whole article is Yellow Journalism. Basically everything Dr. Paul said is right, but according to Newsweak we shouldn't be scared of it, but rather, we should embrace our oppressors.

The American people are waking up, we can smell your rancid hyperbole a mile away, and we're not going to dig our forks into the rotten garbage of propaganda you spew out called news. We're sick of your condescending tripe, being spoon-fed what to think and then treated like prepubescent tweens who are incapable of critical thinking.

Don't piss down my back and then tell me it's raining Newsweak! :mad:

Steve4RP
12-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Yikes! I was getting blury eyed reading all the posts on the Newsweek site. RP supporters are easily the most informed and knowledgeable political group around!

maxbish
12-07-2007, 10:03 PM
And so I don't lose this info, I am posting it here:

If the NAFTA "Superhighway" is a conspiricy theory, why is there legislation submitted in congress to stop it?

H.CON.RES.487
Title: Expressing the sense of Congress that the United States should not engage in the construction of a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhighway System or enter into a North American Union with Mexico and Canada.
Sponsor: Rep Goode, Virgil H., Jr. [VA-5] (introduced 9/28/2006) Cosponsors (6)
Latest Major Action: 9/28/2006 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, and in addition to the Committee on International Relations, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HC00487:@@@L&summ2=m&

And national sovereignty is already being phased out:

"The U.S., Mexican, and Canadian governments remain zealous defenders of an outdated conception of sovereignty even though their citizens are ready for a new approach. Each nation's leadership has stressed differences rather than common interests. North America needs leaders who can articulate and pursue a broader vision."

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20040101faessay83112-p40/robert-a-pastor/north-america-s-second-decade.html

It's right there.

I just don't get it :confused:

rfbz
12-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Funny that Newsweek is going after Ron Paul now, they just released their polling data (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/ia/iowa_republican_caucus-207.html) for Iowa and it shows Ron Paul beating McCain and just 1 point behind Giuliani.

Akus
12-07-2007, 10:11 PM
I am upset.

Not at the fact that NAU is dismissed and rebuttaled. I never mind hearing 2 sides of the story, or 3, or 4, if there are that many. But portraying Ron Paul as a nut job for believing in North American Union and for CFR and for many other bodies that intend to undermine US sovereignty is way below a publication, whose purpose is to reports on the events and people. I thought Newsweek was a tad better then that. If I wanted to read about how RP wants to scare me into voting for him, I'd open some Hannity or Rush newsletter.

slantedview
12-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Damn, they are getting HAMMERED in the comments.

anitasanger
12-07-2007, 11:35 PM
i submitted this to digg in order to highlight the magazine's libelous tripe and to expose the violent backlash they are receiving by those of us demanding truthfulness from journalists! digg it!

http://www.digg.com/politics/Newsweek_Hitpiece_on_Ron_Paul_Creates_Major_Backla sh_2

Alabama Supporter
12-07-2007, 11:43 PM
This article HELPS the Ron Paul campaign people. There is no need to raise hell about an article like this. The folks in IA and NH are keen on this issue, and this is one of Ron's winning positions.

anitasanger
12-07-2007, 11:45 PM
good. if the article helps, we are bringing it publicity.....so DIGG IT!

nbruno322
12-08-2007, 12:58 AM
classic MSM propganda BS. Always discredit the messanger when you cant debate the message. effing pathetic, without an effective free press democracy does not exist.

maxbish
12-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Damn, they are getting HAMMERED in the comments.
It's amazingly inspiring! I can't think of any time I have ever seen so much outrage in feedback over anything on the Internet. Out of the vast number of comments over there I don't think I saw one person backing up Newsweak.