PDA

View Full Version : Congress' copyright reform: seize computers, boost penalties, spend money

Bryan
12-07-2007, 06:34 PM
A bipartisan group of Congressmen (and one woman) yesterday introduced a major bill aimed at boosting US intellectual property laws and the penalties that go along with them. While much of the legislation targets industrial counterfeiting and knockoff drugs, it also allows the government to seize people's computers.

The Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property (PRO IP... groan) Act of 2007 has the backing of many of the most powerful politicians on the House Judiciary Committee, including John Conyers (D-MI), Lamar Smith (R-TX), and "Hollywood" Howard Berman (D-CA).

In addition to strengthening both civil and criminal penalties for copyright and trademark infringement, the big development here is the proposed creation of the Office of the United States Intellectual Property Enforcement Representative (USIPER). This is a new executive branch office tasked with coordinating IP enforcement at the national and international level. To do this work internationally, the bill also authorizes US intellectual property officers to be sent to other countries in order to assist with crackdowns there. In addition, the Department of Justice gets additional funding and a new unit to help prosecute IP crimes.

Continued:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071206-congress-copyright-reform-seize-computers-boost-penalties-spend-money.html

Zarxrax
12-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Makes me sick. Congress is in the hands of hollywood.

RPFTW!
12-07-2007, 07:06 PM
The internet is under full attack!

xao
12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Bump! This will be a nightmare if it passes. Call and fax your reps and Run for congress!

CurtisLow
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Crazy!

Matt Collins
12-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Ahh yes - exactly what we need... more bureaucracy.. :rolleyes:

Give me liberty
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
oh god, this bill will give them rights to seize computers??
I know used read books about police states, but this is mad.

Everyone has a right and a freewill on what the people want to download,
nobody has a right on takeing away that freedom until now -.-