PDA

View Full Version : Tenn. House votes to strip state funding from UT Office of Diversity

timosman
04-20-2016, 05:49 PM
http://wate.com/2016/04/18/tenn-house-votes-to-strip-state-funding-from-ut-office-of-diversity/

NASHVILLE (WATE) – The Tennessee House of Representatives has passed a bill to strip state funding from the University of Tennessee’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Micah Van Huss of Jonesborough, originally would have diverted the funding to a program to print “In God We Trust” decals for law enforcement vehicles, but the bill was amended to instead send $100,000 of the funding to the decal program and the remaining $336,000 to minority scholarships.

The bill passed with a 66-22 vote. The state Senate is still considering its own version of the bill, sponsored by Sen. Todd Gardenhire of Chattanooga. It is set to be discussed by the Senate Finance, Ways and Means Committee on Tuesday.

Supporters of the bill have been upset at the state’s flagship university for promoting an annual Sex Week and for recommending the use of gender-neutral pronouns on campus and advising against religious-themed parties and decorations.

UT students have created a “Mass Class Exit” event on Facebook, encouraging people to wear black, walk out of their classes at 1:40 p.m. and meet at the Humanities amphitheater in opposition to the legislation.

euphemia
04-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I wrote a couple of letters about this. A state-funded university is not allowed to use my money to be hostile to me. Teach the students.

Lamar! Alexander was univerity president for about ten minutes. What do you expect?