PDA

View Full Version : Who Are You?

Lance C Roseman
12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Why do Ron Paul supporters feel the need for 'user names'? I came out of the 'closet' and am using my full, family name because I no longer want to lurk in shadows or hide behind a pseudonym. I am whom I am, I have a family with young children (I sent a photo of my son to the Ron Paul campaign along with my out of country order for bumper stickers) and this world will not change unless we will it to.
For some reason I found Ron Paul last January and should have placed my bet with any of the various gambling sites at 81:1 odds, I'd have been set (except that FRN's are about equal to Loonies now...) for a few years! But why are there so many 'nom de plumes' about? Is it really that bad down there that you are all afraid to shed the masks of user names? How is anyone supposed to take this thing seriously when there are a bunch of cartoon character names running about?
I'd say ditch the 'Conan the Barbarian' junk and stand up for yourself and the one's you love by actually proclaiming to the world who you are. It is OBVIOUS that you (and I) have a shared view of privacy, a shared view of Ron Paul's ideas and a love of liberty. But from the outside looking in... user names in the most serious of political battles of this time seem silly.
Sorry if this is off-putting but, believe me as a one time 'lancifer', it sure feels better and brings more honour to my intention to post anything. In fact I post far less, which isn't a bad thing. Thoughts?

Lance C. Roseman
Roberts Creek, B.C.,
Canada

kevinblack
12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I love this forums and would have no problem with giving out personal information to Ron Paul supporters.

That said you need to remember that this is a public forum that anybody can access. In general it is not a good idea to give people information about you in such a forum. This is doubly here where we are likely to see some friction.

Maybe somebody should make a Members only forum? post your Ron Paul donation slip to enter *grin*

benhaskins
12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
nice to meet u =P

-benhaskins

SeanEdwards
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi

Voluntaryist
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Nicknames are fun. :) You can find my real name by clicking on the links in my signature.

pacelli
12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I prefer to not disclose my real name because my identity was stolen after the Nov 5 moneybomb. Someone got ahold of my financial information and caused some problems. Luckily, citibank was on top of it and is conducting a full investigation as the amount of the theft amounts to several felony counts.

pcosmar
12-07-2007, 06:16 PM
My user name is the same one I use everywhere. It is my name.
http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/
http://jamadots.com/~pcosmar/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcosmar/

I have never been anonymous.

Lance C Roseman
12-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I prefer to not disclose my real name because my identity was stolen after the Nov 5 moneybomb. Someone got ahold of my financial information and caused some problems. Luckily, citibank was on top of it and is conducting a full investigation as the amount of the theft amounts to several felony counts.

Wow? Bitter to say the least! Isn't citibank going down the tubes though? Better find some other bank with somewhat ethics?!

yongrel
I prefer not to disclose a ton of info on teh series of tubes. It's not a truck, so i can't just dump personal information on it.

Besides, yongrel is my identity on the internet. I use it everywhere, so it essentially is me.

Dave Pedersen
well if i could change my name to conan the barbarian i would. the world is full of crazies who have nothing better to do that pay you a personal visit. we fight against the political beast of end time biblical prophecy. Learn about the religious beast which will make this struggle look like a walk in the park. anyway... where was i?? oh.. yeah. I wish I could change my name to conan the barbarian because although i am not in any way ashamed for loving my country there are those who have the moral development of a gnat. I think it is prudent to remain incognito everywhere on the internet no matter how noble you view your motivations.

Perhaps this website would be so kind as to make it easy to change our names if we so choose? not too much to ask it seems to me but then i don't know what would be required in the way of alterations.

Signed:

Conan tha Barbarian

MikeStanart
12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
People should take a page from the book of John Hancock. Don't be afraid to let people know you dissaprove of whats going on.

mosquitobite
12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I prefer not to disclose a ton of info on teh series of tubes. It's not a truck, so i can't just dump personal information on it.

Besides, yongrel is my identity on the internet. I use it everywhere, so it essentially is me.

Same here. I've been 'mosquitobite' on the internet since 1994. I've met plenty of people from the net over the years (including my husband) and will even answer to Skeet in real life! LOL!

My name online is still ME. :)

It wouldn't be hard for people to figure out who mosquitobite is if they wanted to, but I prefer not to make it easy ;)

OferNave
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Do you work for the Vorlons, by any chance? :)

Danny Molina
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Lance.

austin356
12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
My name is Austin. My bio is in my signature.

torchbearer
12-07-2007, 06:31 PM
My name is Brent Sanders.
I'm a public figure. This information is already public:
I'm a 29 year old man from Alexandria, LA - originally from Lone Pine, LA.
I'm have a B.A. in Sociology from Louisiana College.
I'm the former vice-chair of the Libertarian Party of Louisiana.
I'm a guitarist/songwriter with over 70 recorded original songs to my credit.
I took a year to help battered women in my area as a legal advocate.
I am a computer tech, I own my own lil' biz to help make ends meet will doing politics.
I've ran for political office twice as a libertarian.
once in 2003 at 23-24 years of age, I garnered 19% against a democrat incumbent in a 90% democratic district.
the other time was in 2006, ran against incumbent Rodney Alexander and got hammered by his $1.2 million dollar war chest. I had $5000. (obviously, no more underfunded campaigns for me)

I am now a Ron Paul Republican.
I am now a leader among my piers.
I am the assistant organizer of my meet-up.
I will soon be a national delegate for Ron Paul from Louisiana.
I will soon be challenging Rodney Alexander again, but this time as a Ron Paul Republican, hopefully with funding! http://www.joinsanders.com

I'm dead serious about winning this election, so i make it no secret that I have no time for "arm chair patriots". But I love you all the same!

I am one of many....we are only the beginning.
The Technosance.

Torchbearer is an award granted by the libertarian party of louisiana to the top activists of the year. I've recieved the award twice in my 11 years with the LALP.

risiusj
12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I chose a random series of letters for my user name ... or did I?

My first thought when reading this thread title - "I'm Batman."

pacelli
12-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Wow? Bitter to say the least! Isn't citibank going down the tubes though? Better find some other bank with somewhat ethics?!

Indeed. The only reason I chose to stick with them is because they called me literally 4 minutes after the charges were made. It could have been much much worse.

freelance
12-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Maybe you would be bitter if someone had stolen your identity, no?

AtomiC
12-07-2007, 06:47 PM
This has been my internet identity for a long time and I am known all over the internet. I don't think its a good idea to divulge my real name all over the forums/internet because identity theft is real and is widespread.

TechnoGuyRob
12-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm a white supremacist anarchist who thinks the United States is controlled by several elite families that have been controlling the world since the early 13th century and are now planning to complete the process by turning all voting machines into Diebold, merging the entire world into one government. Also, I smoke weed, live in my mom's basement, and code the scripts responsible for spamming online Ron Paul polls and sending out text messages to the cell phone polls. I've also constructed thousands of artificially intelligent robots to wave signs and canvas for Ron Paul around the country. I want to blow up the government and I know that George Bush personally placed lots of dynamite in the World Trade Center right before it went boom.

;)

benhaskins
12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
thats interesting

pcosmar
12-07-2007, 06:59 PM
For those that can't follow links or do a simple search,
I am Peter C Osmar.
I am unconcerned with identity theft.
You really don't want to be me.

p.s. they have dropped the" Armed and Dangerous" part.
Now I'm just watched.

Mark
12-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I've posted my info all up in this house, my myspace addy is my last name, I'm in the phone book.

I ain't scared. I'm trying to get people's attention. I got somethin' to say.

Rev Mark A Cahall

~~~~~~~edit: From MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/cahall

Notta band, but singing is part of my being.
I've done the cover bands thing before,
but lately it seems to be more of a chore than joy.

At this point I'd rather work on original material,
and, if my current work schedule will allow it,
"find myself a rock 'n roll band.. that needs a helpin' hand"

Quick Background:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."--Edmund Burke

Founder of an officially incorporated North Carolina
non-profit religious organization"The Order of Melchizedek"
--and an ordained minister through it.

I follow and try to live the ancient tradition of the Nazarite.
Numbers Chap 6 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=4&chapter=6&version=45) in the bible explains it a bit.

Non-materialistic, and very spiritually focused.
Believer in quality over quantity.

Currently in college part time when I can.

Graduated from high school ('77),
and nearly technical college in Industrial Engineering Tech,
but after a co-op job, I decided to not spend my life doing that.

Member of The International High IQ Society (http://www.highiqsociety.org/)

In the past I've been in a few amateur plays
and an extra in a few movies.

My goal with music is to use it in various ways and manners,
as a vehicle for positive effect.

I pray and work.. for us all to have.. ultimate....
peace... joy... and love....

Let's take care of each other...

Lance C Roseman
12-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe you would be bitter if someone had stolen your identity, no?

Freelance hey, trying to steal mine!

Lance C Roseman
12-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, I guess can understand somewhat why people choose alternative names.
No one wants mine, to sum up a few posts.
The pTW (powers That Were) are still feisty and all the rest. Its good to know though, I've always wondered...

hard@work
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Why do Ron Paul supporters feel the need for 'user names'?

Well, to be quite honest ... aside from "Mitt Romney's Side burns" I think I like my name the best. It is cool, it's hip, trendy without being too trendy and therefore no longer cool, has triple meaning, has personal meaning, and is something I have used in the past to identify my writings to others. Also I use screen names (user names are logins) on many forums where I post, it's a fun way for being anonymous I suppose. I never asked for this to be done on the internet but someone sometime thought it was a good idea ... and I guess I agree (but freely admit I have seen nothing else).

And ultimately, I do it because ... everyone else is doing it.

:)

That said, if one day anonymity no longer has reasoning (logical or otherwise) then I shall look forward to joining you!

lynnf
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm a white supremacist anarchist who thinks the United States is controlled by several elite families that have been controlling the world since the early 13th century and are now planning to complete the process by turning all voting machines into Diebold, merging the entire world into one government. Also, I smoke weed, live in my mom's basement, and code the scripts responsible for spamming online Ron Paul polls and sending out text messages to the cell phone polls. I've also constructed thousands of artificially intelligent robots to wave signs and canvas for Ron Paul around the country. I want to blow up the government and I know that George Bush personally placed lots of dynamite in the World Trade Center right before it went boom.

;)

actually, it was thermate along with what was probably some kind of plastic explosives :rolleyes:

lynn

Scott Wilson
12-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm not going to vote for Ron Paul.

I'm an aussie expat living here in the USA as a Permanent Resident (one of those legal immigrants). We are not allowed to vote but we can sure encourage others to do so. :)

Oh, and I use my real name as I am not ashamed nor fearful of voicing my convictions.

Lexx78
12-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I always use this name on the net so you might come across me at pokerstars.

I live in Europe so I can only promote Ron Paul :)

Mark
12-08-2007, 12:11 AM
I always use this name on the net so you might come across me at pokerstars.

I live in Europe so I can only promote Ron Paul :)

Europeans and other Foreign Nationals can support my Non-Profit Church Organization in our outreach to inform voters this election.

We chose the option of complete free speech over government regulation. (see below)

We're hoping to buy campaign materials and other forms of advertisement ect.

Please spread the word to everyone you know outside of America.

Please Help Our Church (http://tinyurl.com/2oeomf)

http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=24781

The prohibition on certain political activity also does not violate First Amendment rights, the USCCB lawyers said, because

nonprofit organizations can choose between political involvement or the federal tax exemption.

There is "not an absolute prohibition against political activity by tax-exempt organizations," they note.

"Rather, it is a condition placed on receipt of federal tax exemption.

Thus, an exempt organization has a choice between involvement in political campaign intervention and the benefits of tax exemption."

Travis
12-08-2007, 12:13 AM
My name is Travis:D

libertarian4321
12-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Why do Ron Paul supporters feel the need for 'user names'? I came out of the 'closet' and am using my full, family name because I no longer want to lurk in shadows or hide behind a pseudonym. I am whom I am, I have a family with young children (I sent a photo of my son to the Ron Paul campaign along with my out of country order for bumper stickers) and this world will not change unless we will it to.
For some reason I found Ron Paul last January and should have placed my bet with any of the various gambling sites at 81:1 odds, I'd have been set (except that FRN's are about equal to Loonies now...) for a few years! But why are there so many 'nom de plumes' about? Is it really that bad down there that you are all afraid to shed the masks of user names? How is anyone supposed to take this thing seriously when there are a bunch of cartoon character names running about?
I'd say ditch the 'Conan the Barbarian' junk and stand up for yourself and the one's you love by actually proclaiming to the world who you are. It is OBVIOUS that you (and I) have a shared view of privacy, a shared view of Ron Paul's ideas and a love of liberty. But from the outside looking in... user names in the most serious of political battles of this time seem silly.
Sorry if this is off-putting but, believe me as a one time 'lancifer', it sure feels better and brings more honour to my intention to post anything. In fact I post far less, which isn't a bad thing. Thoughts?

Lance C. Roseman
Roberts Creek, B.C.,
Canada

You're kidding, right?

Okay, maybe you are new to the internet and aren't aware of how things work here.

I've been using the internet since the 80's, and pseudonyms have been around on MOST sites- political, social, gaming, whatever- since the early days.

Its got nothing to do with "fear" or any other silly notion- its a tradition.

Always glad to help a newbie out...

libertarian4321

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-08-2007, 12:36 AM
I am Mumm-ra, the ever-living!

francisco
12-08-2007, 12:42 AM
2 reasons: privacy and fun