PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court rules in favor of VA transgender teen in bathroom case

Suzanimal
04-19-2016, 02:37 PM
I figured a unisex bathroom was a good compromise.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -
A federal appeals court in Richmond sided with a Virginia transgender student and overturned a ruling barring him from using the boys' restroom because he was born as a female.

The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals sided with 16-year-old Gavin Grimm on Tuesday in his case against the Gloucester County school system's bathroom policy. The district requires students to use either the restroom that corresponds with their biological gender or a private, single-stall restroom.

The appeals court decision reverses the prior ruling and could have repercussions on a controversial North Carolina bill along the same lines.

The three-judge panel reversed and vacated the ruling in part and remanded it back to district court, saying it "was guided by erroneous legal principles.”

Because we conclude that the district court used the wrong evidential standard in assessing G.G.’s motion for a preliminary injunction, we vacate its denial and remand for consideration under the correct standard. We therefore reverse in part, vacate in part, and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

For Grimm, this case started when the school system barred him from using the Men's restroom. The ACLU is helping the high school junior, who was born a girl, fight against him being forced to use the ladies room or a specially designed unisex facility.

Attorneys for the school system argued in court that anyone can use the unisex bathroom and a Title IX violation has not taken place.

“I feel so relieved and vindicated by the court’s ruling,” said Grimm in a press release from the ACLU of Virginia. “Today’s decision gives me hope that my fight will help other kids avoid discriminatory treatment at school.”

The case is the first taken by the federal court of appeals and the fourth circuit includes North Carolina. The ACLU believes it will be a bellwether in setting a precedent for other school boards to look at when they’re looking at these sorts of decisions throughout the country.

“Gavin’s fight has been a beacon of hope in the face of increasingly hostile rhetoric against transgender people in Virginia, and across the nation,” said Gail Deady, the Secular Society Women’s Rights Legal Fellow at the ACLU of Virginia. “The court’s ruling sends a strong message to schools and lawmakers that discriminatory restroom policies don’t just harm transgender students, they put Title IX funding at risk.”

The Family Foundation of Virginia decried the ruling saying "the social chaos that would ensue from ignoring biological reality will inevitably bring tremendous harm to our children and limit freedom, not expand it."

"Hopefully, as this case proceeds, a reasonable judge or court will step in and reaffirm that our children have the dignity of basic privacy rights in bathrooms and showers," wrote Victoria Cobb, President of the Family Foundation of Virginia. "Anything short of that will put vulnerable children at tremendous emotional, physical and developmental risk.”

DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz praised the ruling.

"This court victory affirms that there is no commonsense reason to bar transgender students from using the restroom that aligns with their gender identity and that doing so is discriminatory and harmful," said Schultz. "Republican legislators who continue to push anti-LGBT measures and the Republican presidential candidates who fan the flames of discrimination with ignorant rhetoric have been exposed by this ruling for what they’re truly peddling."

Read more: http://www.cbs46.com/story/31763345/appeals-court-rules-in-favor-of-va-transgender-teen-in-bathroom-case#ixzz46J5O5KWg

Petar
04-19-2016, 02:43 PM
The kid should just be expelled for his anti-social behaviour.

jllundqu
04-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Seriously.... why isn't the unisex bathroom an acceptable compromise? Why do they have to push?

If you have a dick... mens room
If you have a vag... womens room
If you can't make up your friggin mind.... unisex bathroom

Everybody's happy.

Whats the problem?

luctor-et-emergo
04-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Damn. Why do people care about this kind of stuff. There are plenty of people you wouldn't want to meet in any bathroom, the right or the wrong one. So, why does it matter??

Really. People are weird.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Unless you are a man in front of a urinal, nobody is going to know what you have in your pants when you use the restroom so why should anybody care? (Garrison Keillor made a similar comment this week).

AZJoe
04-19-2016, 11:04 PM
I see comments "Why should anybody care" and "Why does it matter". Perhaps it shouldn't matter, but then it also shouldn't matter to the person trying to force the rest of the world to accommodate that person's self-identity regardless of biological gender. If it matters not, then the individual would simply use the restroom that is available for the biological gender or the private room. The reality is that due to cultural, personal, sexual, psychological or any myriad of other sources, it does matter to that individual, and many other individuals.

In a free society it would simply be up to the provider of the restrooms.

The core question is who is initiating force. A person may choose to identify them-self as a female/male, despite being biologically/anatomically otherwise. That is fine. That is the individual's choice. A person has every right to live their life as they choose. However one does not have the right to force every other person to identify them in accordance with their psychological preference. It is trying to force the rest of the world via the backing of government violence to bend to their own personal self identify, and forcibly accommodate their self perception. That is wrong. It is aggression.

Suzanimal
04-20-2016, 06:14 AM
Damn. Why do people care about this kind of stuff. There are plenty of people you wouldn't want to meet in any bathroom, the right or the wrong one. So, why does it matter??

Really. People are weird.

Unless you are a man in front of a urinal, nobody is going to know what you have in your pants when you use the restroom so why should anybody care? (Garrison Keillor made a similar comment this week).

Personally, I don't give a crap about a going to the same bathroom as a trans-gendered person. However, this is in a high school and I believe this ruling also opens up locker rooms to trans gendered teens. Do you really think it's appropriate for a trans-gendered teen to be changing clothes with members of the opposite (physical) sex? What could possibly go wrong? And not to mention the points AZJoe brought up. How long until private property owners are required to follow government mandated bathroom protocol? When I go to the gym will I be forced to shower and change in front of some dude? Of course, I'm not forced to go to the gym. I could just stay home, like I imagine a lot of women would in that situation. So where does that leave the gym owner?

CaptUSA
04-20-2016, 06:19 AM
The problem here has nothing to do with bathrooms.

It's government schools.

That's what I find truly disgusting.