PDA

View Full Version : How many "woke up" around an election

afwjam
04-17-2016, 09:06 PM
When did you "get it"? Was there an election going on at the time that you "learned"? Was it when you were tripping acid that you "got it"? Honestly, I'm sure it's a little bit of everything. I am curious if elections really hold the power to "educate" people, or are just one more tool to blind us from the truth right in front of us. I woke up because of Ron Pauls 2008 run and the help of some earlier life experience and gut feeling.

openfire
04-18-2016, 11:13 AM
September 11, 2001

bunklocoempire
04-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Ron and Rudy. It was an eye opener.

euphemia
04-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Bob Dole. Good man, good looking (in person), beautiful wife, but just not someone the media loved very well. It was then I learned how much the media abdicated their first amendment responsibility.

RJB
04-18-2016, 07:48 PM
I was a naive libertarian since the early 1990s. In 2007 I ordered some Ron Paul fliers to hand out and wondered why he placed "sound money" as the most important promise on his platform. That took me on a ride.

That was the year I went from believing that were were ruled by merely corrupt, naive politicians to realizing there are some really genuine evil to the core people running the show.

HVACTech
04-18-2016, 07:56 PM
When did you "get it"? Was there an election going on at the time that you "learned"? Was it when you were tripping acid that you "got it"? Honestly, I'm sure it's a little bit of everything. I am curious if elections really hold the power to "educate" people, or are just one more tool to blind us from the truth right in front of us. I woke up because of Ron Pauls 2008 run and the help of some earlier life experience and gut feeling.

no, there was no election going on at the time.
it was in 06. when I saw a certain fellow... in this video. :p

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&ei=Yo8VV5qMKYG8jgS8rqGQDw&ved=0EKkuCAEoAQ#q=freedom+to+fascism+aaron+russo

mrsat_98
04-19-2016, 03:34 AM
I got a $256,000.00 proposed assessment from the revenue department and came home to find this document and my life has not been the same since 1993.

http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/right2travel.shtml

Working Poor
04-19-2016, 08:10 AM
I was born awake

younglibertarian
04-19-2016, 08:28 PM
My father supported Ron in 2008, and I learned from there. I became heavily impassioned in 2012 and learned a lot. My mind was opened.

apathyguy
04-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Great question. Dr. Paul's '08 campaign was a real eye-opener for me, as well, and the experience certainly shattered a few long-held illusions of my own. However, I wouldn't trade that adrenaline-fueled ride and its consequences for a minute. I'm skeptical of the wisdom or utility of political activism today, but if you somehow manage to find an honest, principled candidate who's well versed in the philosophy of freedom, an energized political campaign can reach all sorts of people who would otherwise never give such things a second thought.

Afterall, we've seen the evidence. The trick is finding that "once-in-a-lifetime candidate" — though I certainly hope it's not as uncommon as it seems to me. ;-)

Root
04-20-2016, 05:49 AM
Woke up in 2010 after the peace prize winner started more wars.