PDA

View Full Version : How to fight back against forum spies or trolls

afwjam
04-17-2016, 08:54 PM
One way is not to engage, it takes two to tango. If you go silent, their end of the conversation and plans for your end become obvious. This can be very revealing as their system requires our participation to work; this disrupts the narrative, makes the truth obvious. Removing yourself from the dialectic, ceases it's control over you and your thoughts, thinking outside the box. The narrative without your participation, loses its legitimacy and reveals the parody and joke that it is. Total silence feels like a weak position, but it is not. In wanting to continue honest discussion, one will have to be conscience of the deception at play and it's power to capture the narrative and control. Response of any kind legitimizes and empowers those who wish to deceive and obtain their false narrative.

"That which angers you, controls you."

Bryan
04-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Exactly, this is the best Step 1.

Step 2 is to report the issue with the use of the report facility located on the bar under each post (see the triangle with the "!" on the Full View). From there the staff can deal with any problematic posts and users.

Thanks.

afwjam
04-17-2016, 09:22 PM
How many people who ignore step 1 will it take before it leaves the majority stranded at step 1?

Bryan
04-17-2016, 09:39 PM
How many people who ignore step 1 will it take before it leaves the majority stranded at step 1?

None, so long as those who follow step 1 also follow step 2.

Step 2 makes sure problems go away. Step 1 makes sure they don't get worse than they need to be.

Natural Citizen
04-17-2016, 09:56 PM
I had a young lad solicit me by way of pm to take it up with him in real life the other day. I got to chuckling.

But, yeah. I pop off my trap sometimes, too. Very, very rarely, do I get out of line that way (maybe twice or three times in the last decade)and if I do, then, it's a calculated and measured maneuver to check the immediate temperament of another person. Which is itself trolling, I suppose. It's useful sometimes, though. Certainy not condonable as a regular means of communication. But useful in specific scenarios. Best not to let things get under your skin, though. It really is a two-way street, I suppose.

Ronin Truth
04-18-2016, 04:16 AM
One way is not to engage, it takes two to tango. If you go silent, their end of the conversation and plans for your end become obvious. This can be very revealing as their system requires our participation to work; this disrupts the narrative, makes the truth obvious. Removing yourself from the dialectic, ceases it's control over you and your thoughts, thinking outside the box. The narrative without your participation, loses its legitimacy and reveals the parody and joke that it is. Total silence feels like a weak position, but it is not. In wanting to continue honest discussion, one will have to be conscience of the deception at play and it's power to capture the narrative and control. Response of any kind legitimizes and empowers those who wish to deceive and obtain their false narrative.

"That which angers you, controls you."

+Rep!

I've now finally become a fan of the 'Ignore' forum function. Not so much for anger relief, as for just the waste of time and keystrokes. :p