PDA

View Full Version : New fruit tops "Dirty Dozen" list of most contaminated produce

Suzanimal
04-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Strawberries top this year's list of the produce with the highest level of pesticide residue, according to a new report from the Environmental Working Group (EWG).

The fruit displaces apples -- now ranked second -- which headed the "Dirty Dozen" list for the previous five years.

For the report, the group analyzed test results of more than 35,200 samples of fruits and vegetables taken by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration.

Nearly all of the (non-organic) strawberry samples -- at least 98 percent -- had detectable pesticide residues, with 47 percent having residues of 10 or more pesticides. Some samples showed residue from 17 different pesticides.

Though some of the chemicals found on the strawberries are relatively benign, others have been linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental damage, hormone disruption, and neurological problems, the group reports.

"It is startling to see how heavily strawberries are contaminated with residues of hazardous pesticides, but even more shocking is that these residues don't violate the weak U.S. laws and regulations on pesticides in food," Sonya Lunder, EWG Senior Analyst, said in a statement. "The EPA's levels of residues allowed on produce are too lax to protect Americans' health. They should be updated to reflect new research that shows even very small doses of toxic chemicals can be harmful, particularly for young children."

The EPA says the levels are not harmful to eat. "We perform dietary risk assessments to ensure that all tolerances established for each pesticide are safe. These assessments account for the fact that the diets of infants and children may be quite different from those of adults and that they consume more food for their size than adults," the agency says on its website.

The complete list of the 2016 "Dirty Dozen" included many popular fruits and vegetables:

Strawberries
Apples
Nectarines
Peaches
Celery
Grapes
Cherries
Spinach
Tomatoes
Sweet bell peppers
Cherry tomatoes
Cucumbers
The Environmental Working Group also noted that while hot peppers and leafy greens like kale and collard greens did not meet the criteria to be ranked on the list, some samples were found to contain toxic insecticides, and it encouraged consumers to consider organic options.

Conversely, avocados lead the list of the group's "Clean Fifteen" list, with less than one percent of samples showing any detectable pesticides. No single fruit sample from this "clean" list tested positive for more than four types of pesticides and very few for more than one.

The "Clean Fifteen" fruits and vegetables highlighted by the report are:

Avocado
Sweet corn
Pineapples
Cabbage
Sweet peas (frozen)
Onions
Asparagus
Mangoes
Papayas
Kiwi
Eggplant
Honeydew melon
Grapefruit
Cantaloupe
Cauliflower
To help consumers make informed decisions, EWG updates its Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce each year, ranking pesticide contamination on 48 popular fruits and vegetables.

To limit exposure to these chemicals, the group recommends purchasing organic for the fruits and vegetables that ranked high in pesticide residue in the report.

"Fruits and vegetables are important for your health," Lunder said. "But for those on the Dirty Dozen, we recommend buying the organic versions if you want to avoid pesticides on your food."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-fruit-tops-dirty-dozen-list-of-most-contaminated-produce/?linkId=23376030

Danke
04-12-2016, 08:51 PM
That is why I avoid fruits and vegetables.

euphemia
04-12-2016, 09:14 PM
I guess that means don't buy them from a store. Buy them from a place where the practices are known. Tennessee is full of places that are fairly safe and will let you pick your own. Stawberries are ripe around Memorial Day. Peaches are ripe around Independence Day. Apples are ripe around Labor Day. Pentiful, affordable, and totally wonderful.

farreri
04-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Cancer hasn't gone up because we've been eating more pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables. Cancer has gone up from eating more animal products and eating more animal products means people are eating less plant foods, like fruits and vegetables. Scare-tactic article IMO.

Schifference
04-13-2016, 03:33 AM
I have chickens and they have mites. I feel if I eat plenty of pesticide laced foods that my body will rebel any type of bug that tries to eat or bite me.

tod evans
04-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Cancer hasn't gone up because we've been eating more pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables. Cancer has gone up from eating more animal products and eating more animal products means people are eating less plant foods, like fruits and vegetables. Scare-tactic article IMO.

Oh bullshit.

It's only since the advent of the commercial farm and pesticides that man has had the luxury of consuming rabbit food year round and the ability to enjoy fruits that aren't indigenous.

I tend to believe that it's the pesticide use lower in the food chain that's causing cancer in mammals, both humans and their primary food source, meat.

Suzanimal
04-13-2016, 06:25 AM

How do you know that? There are probably many causes for cancer.

Zippyjuan
04-13-2016, 01:43 PM
There are a couple reasons more people have cancer than say 100 years ago. One is that it takes time to develop cancer- and today they live longer so they have more chance to develop it. Second is improved detection and diagnosis. 100 years ago, a tumor had to be getting large before it was identified as a cancer. Today, a tiny amount of pre-cancerous cells can be identified.

As for vegetables, I worked with a lady who was afraid of chemicals on her fruits and vegetables so she didn't eat any of them. She died from cancer in her 50's.

Suzanimal
04-13-2016, 01:57 PM
There are a couple reasons more people have cancer than say 100 years ago. One is that it takes time to develop cancer- and today they live longer so they have more chance to develop it. Second is improved detection and diagnosis. 100 years ago, a tumor had to be getting large before it was identified as a cancer. Today, a tiny amount of pre-cancerous cells can be identified.

As for vegetables, I worked with a lady who was afraid of chemicals on her fruits and vegetables so she didn't eat any of them. She died from cancer in her 50's.

No ones suggesting you shouldn't eat fruits or veg because of chemicals (except Danke but not one pays attention to him anyway) but just to be aware of which ones are known to have higher traces of pesticides. No matter how you feel about pesticides, I'm sure you don't want to eat them.

opal
04-13-2016, 02:16 PM
so spinach made the list but leafy greens like kale and collards didn't meet the criteria? (and hot peppers) What was the criteria? They really should have mentioned that.
I like spinach.. kale and other greens, not so much.

donnay
04-13-2016, 03:15 PM
This is the reason I buy local organic produce. Mainly because of the pesticides.

I like to make a solution of apple cider vinegar and water to clean my produce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TvzFt6D8c

donnay
04-13-2016, 03:22 PM
I have chickens and they have mites. I feel if I eat plenty of pesticide laced foods that my body will rebel any type of bug that tries to eat or bite me.

Sprinkling Food-grade Diatomaceous Earth on the floor in the coop and in the nesting boxes. It will help eliminate the mite problem and other crawly critters.

Bouquets of wormwood hung up in the coop will also help.

Zippyjuan
04-13-2016, 07:07 PM
No ones suggesting you shouldn't eat fruits or veg because of chemicals (except Danke but not one pays attention to him anyway) but just to be aware of which ones are known to have higher traces of pesticides. No matter how you feel about pesticides, I'm sure you don't want to eat them.

How much is a "trace"? How much is harmful? If we go small enough, you can find everything in everything else. We can measure parts per trillion these days.

Suzanimal
04-13-2016, 07:15 PM
How much is a "trace"?

Too much for me. I don't want to eat any Round Up if I can avoid it.

How much is harmful?

Depends on the person.

If we go small enough, you can find everything in everything else. We can measure parts per trillion these days.

Yes, I understand that but I still don't want to eat poison if I can avoid it. The main takeaway here, as donnay pointed out, is wash your fruit and veg.

oyarde
04-13-2016, 07:39 PM
That is why I avoid fruits and vegetables.
I put olives in my martini .

Brian4Liberty
04-13-2016, 08:01 PM
so spinach made the list but leafy greens like kale and collards didn't meet the criteria? (and hot peppers) What was the criteria? They really should have mentioned that.
I like spinach.. kale and other greens, not so much.

It drives me crazy when people take spinach out of a plastic bag and serve it without washing.

I soak it in a bowl of water for 10 minutes or more with lots of scrubbing it around (like) laundry. They say that gets rid of the majority of chemical residue.

Danke
04-13-2016, 08:04 PM
It drives me crazy when people take spinach out of a plastic bag and serve it without washing.

I soak it in a bowl of water for 10 minutes or more with lots of scrubbing it around (like) laundry. They say that gets rid of the majority of chemical residue.

Isn't that shit washed already?

phill4paul
04-13-2016, 08:12 PM
There are two brushes next to the sink. One is for dirty fingernails. The other, larger, is for veggie scrubbing. Does no one else do this?

ETA: There is a third. About 6" long and 3" in girth. I bought it for glasses. I cut the hell out of my pinky trying to reach the bottom of a deep glass. Should have gotten stitches. Nevermore.

Brian4Liberty
04-13-2016, 09:34 PM
Isn't that $#@! washed already?

It says it is "triple washed" on the bag. It won't have visible dirt. They have found that the rinse they give it doesn't remove much of the pesticides. Needs more mechanical washing and soaking to really clean it.

Danke
04-13-2016, 09:36 PM
It says it is "triple washed" on the bag. It won't have visible dirt. They have found that the rinse they give it doesn't remove much of the pesticides. Needs more mechanical washing and soaking to really clean it.

I'm going on a hunger strike.

Suzanimal
04-14-2016, 04:13 AM
There are two brushes next to the sink. One is for dirty fingernails. The other, larger, is for veggie scrubbing. Does no one else do this?

ETA: There is a third. About 6" long and 3" in girth. I bought it for glasses. I cut the hell out of my pinky trying to reach the bottom of a deep glass. Should have gotten stitches. Nevermore.

I have all those brushes.:) My glass brush is a bottle brush. I like those because have bristles on the bottom and you can get them at the Dollar Tree. Plus, the little nipple brush is good for getting into tight spots.

Suzanimal
04-14-2016, 04:16 AM

I clean my sink well and do it in there. Greens are notoriously dirty. Turnips, especially. I wash those until I quit finding dirt in the sink - usually three or four times.

Natural Citizen
04-14-2016, 04:38 AM
Heh. Turnips. I used to eat those things raw right out of the garden when I was little. They didn't really taste that good, though. Didn't matter. I can't remember mom doing anything with them aside from boiling them with the greens. Maybe threw some fatback in there or something.

Danke
04-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Aren't pesticides absorbed in the plants?

donnay
04-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Aren't pesticides absorbed in the plants?

In many case it does. One of the reasons why it is important to buy organic.

Any fruit and vegetable that are thin skinned, pesticides can definitely soak in.

Food that’s safe to eat!
http://waterworksvalley.com/food-thats-safe-to-eat/

opal
04-14-2016, 09:55 AM
AND even organic has to be washed really good - we don't know who was in that organic farm - possibly peeing on the celery..

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Salmonella and E. coli are the main concerns of the producers and the government. So the "pre-washed" spinach is usually processed with chlorinated water to kill germs (and get rid of dirt). It doesn't really do much to get rid of pesticide residue. Their major concern is something that will make you sick immediately.

There was a relatively scientific study of pesticide residue before and after good hand washing and soaking. Supposedly worked really well. Unfortunately, couldn't find that study. No doubt both the producers and government would prefer that specific study be overwhelmed by studies that say how great a job they are doing to protect us with chlorine sanitizers.

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Here's the official Livestrong spinach washing procedure:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/473356-how-to-wash-fresh-spinach/

Step 1

Clip long stems from the spinach leaves with a pair of kitchen shears.

Step 2

Rinse the spinach leaves thoroughly under cold running water to remove as much of the dirt and debris as you can see. Although the process is time-consuming, you get best results when you rinse the leaves individually.

Step 3

Fill a large pot or bowl with cold water. Submerge the spinach leaves in the cold water in the pot or bowl.

Step 4

Allow the spinach leaves to soak for between five to ten minutes to allow the remaining dirt and sand to settle to the bottom of the pot. Wave the spinach leaves back and forth every 2 to 3 minutes in the cold water to shake the dirt and sand from the leaves.

Step 5

Pick the spinach leaves out of the cold water by hand; do not pour them off because the settled dirt will mix in with the leaves. Place the spinach leaves in a colander and set aside.

Step 6

Drain the cold soak water from the first pot or bowl and rinse out the dirt and sand that settled at the bottom. Dry the pot or bowl thoroughly with a dry paper towel.

Step 7

Fill the cleaned pot or bowl again with cold water. Place the spinach leaves back into the soaking pot or bowl. Swirl the spinach around in the cold water every two to three minutes while soaking to remove any remaining dirt and sand from the leaves.

Step 8

Pull the spinach leaves from the soak pot or bowl and place them into a salad spinner. Pull the cord on the salad spinner to spin the basket, forcing the water away from the spinach. Remove the basket from the salad spinner and pour out the excess water then wipe dry with a paper towel. Repeat this step until the spinach leaves are as dry as possible. If you do not have a salad spinner, blot the excess water from the spinach leaves with a paper towel to dry the leaves.

Step 9

Place the spinach leaves on dry paper towels to air dry for about an hour until the leaves are completely dry.

Step 10

Wrap the spinach leaves in clean, dry paper towels and place them in a plastic bag for storage. Store spinach in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator to keep it fresh.

donnay
04-14-2016, 10:14 AM
AND even organic has to be washed really good - we don't know who was in that organic farm - possibly peeing on the celery..

Absolutely.

Suzanimal
04-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Here's the official Livestrong spinach washing procedure:

I use a salad spinner for small quantities. Put a little vinegar and fill with water, spin, dump water, repeat until water looks clean, spin several times to dry. Love my salad spinner.:)

farreri
04-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Oh bull$#@!.
I know, it's hard to accept that eating like kings isn't good for us.

farreri
04-14-2016, 01:50 PM
How do you know that? There are probably many causes for cancer.
Rates of getting cancer (not to be confused with cancer mortality rates) consistently go up with the consumption rates of animal products.

tod evans
04-14-2016, 05:06 PM
I know, it's hard to accept that eating like kings isn't good for us.

Your view of a balanced and nutritious diet is duly noted.

Kings.........Pffffffft!

farreri
04-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Kings.........Pffffffft!
You don't think our society eats like kings?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 12:08 AM
You don't think our society eats like kings?

Which king in what era?

"Our society" is large and diverse, personally I don't know anybody who eats in a way I envision a king eating.....

farreri
04-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Which king in what era?

"Our society" is large and diverse, personally I don't know anybody who eats in a way I envision a king eating.....
The only people way back when who could afford to eat meat, eggs, and dairy all day everyday were kings and queens. Now even the poor in this country can afford to eat animal products at every meal. Is it any surprise we have an epidemic of obesity and diabetes and that heart disease and cancer are our top two killers?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 09:07 AM
The only people way back when who could afford to eat meat, eggs, and dairy all day everyday were kings and queens. Now even the poor in this country can afford to eat animal products at every meal. Is it any surprise we have an epidemic of obesity and diabetes and that heart disease and cancer are our top two killers?

You're full of shit again.....

"Way back then" poor people ate lower quality meat and lots of it especially during winter and spring when nature didn't provide rabbit food...

Grains weren't the staple they are now unless one lived in a castle or in it's periphery....

Poor folk "way back then" were nomads or lived on small farms where animal husbandry was more important than crop storage...

Produce and fruit was strictly seasonal and regional, it's today's vegans that are eating like the kings did......

VIDEODROME
04-15-2016, 09:20 AM
https://youtu.be/EQuieWA3SWY?t=28s

farreri
04-15-2016, 10:33 AM
You're full of $#@! again.....

"Way back then" poor people ate lower quality meat and lots of it especially during winter and spring when nature didn't provide rabbit food...

Grains weren't the staple they are now unless one lived in a castle or in it's periphery....

Poor folk "way back then" were nomads or lived on small farms where animal husbandry was more important than crop storage...

Produce and fruit was strictly seasonal and regional, it's today's vegans that are eating like the kings did......
Um, OK. So what you're saying is the reason we have so much obesity, heart disease, and cancer is because we are not eating like kings???

tod evans
04-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Um, OK. So what you're saying is the reason we have so much obesity, heart disease, and cancer is because we are not eating like kings???

I haven't made any such statement.

I simply called you out on your outlandish claims.

It's my opinion that a sedentary lifestyle is the greatest cause of obesity, much more so than diet.

Chairs cause far more health problems than meat or vegetables....

farreri
04-15-2016, 11:09 AM
I haven't made any such statement.

I simply called you out on your outlandish claims.

It's my opinion that a sedentary lifestyle is the greatest cause of obesity, much more so than diet.

Well I agree being sedentary isn't healthy and kings and queens were more sedentary for having the luxury to sit on their thrones all day, but you're saying that any of the obese people you see in society that are plagued with diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, could be mostly eating healthy fruits and vegetables, but are that fat and unhealthy because they aren't moving around enough?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Well I agree being sedentary isn't healthy and kings and queens were more sedentary for having the luxury to sit on their thrones all day, but you're saying that any of the obese people you see in society that are plagued with diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, could be mostly eating healthy fruits and vegetables, but are that fat and unhealthy because they aren't moving around enough?

Try again.......

I'm unable to parse your post as you wrote it..

farreri
04-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Try again.......

I'm unable to parse your post as you wrote it..
You really think a lot of obese people you see in society are eating mostly fruit and vegetables, but are that unhealthy and obese because they are too sedentary?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 11:20 AM
You really think a lot of obese people you see in society are eating mostly fruit and vegetables, but are that unhealthy and obese because they are too sedentary?

I didn't say that.

I typed what I meant;

I think the fruit-n-vegetable vs meat-n-dairy argument is foolish.

Humans were designed to process all types of food and the body functions best on a varied diet commensurate with caloric burn.

I'm not advocating for one diet over the other, everybody needs differing amounts of nutrition from differing sources over the course of their lives and anybody who says differently is pushing an agenda...

farreri
04-15-2016, 11:31 AM
I think the fruit-n-vegetable vs meat-n-dairy argument is foolish.
You're foolish if you think sick obese people got that way on a diet high in fruit & vegetables. You're just not living in reality.

Humans were designed to process all types of food
Well yeah, because it gives us a better chance at surviving long enough to have offspring to continue our species, so it wasn't for health reasons, but for survival reasons.

I'm not advocating for one diet over the other, everybody needs differing amounts of nutrition from differing sources over the course of their lives
Do you have any scientific evidence for this?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 11:42 AM
You're foolish if you think sick obese people got that way on a diet high in fruit & vegetables. You're just not living in reality.

Do you have any scientific data to back this assertion?

Foolish is stating that one diet is "better" than another across the board for all people.

Well yeah, because it gives us a better chance at surviving long enough to have offspring to continue our species, so it wasn't for health reasons, but for survival reasons.

Health and survival are synonymous.....

The man setting stone for 12hr per day is going to have differing nutritional requirements than a pregnant housewife.

Just as some whistledick typing at a keyboard is going to have differing nutritional requirements than the cross-training, menstruating triathlete.

Promoting fruits and vegetables over meat and dairy fails to address the reality of life.

Do you have any scientific evidence for this?

You'll have to do the reading yourself. (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=human%20body%20nutritional%20requirements%20ov er%20lifespan)

farreri
04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Do you have any scientific data to back this assertion?
I've never seen any data that showed you can get sick and obese from a sedentary lifestyle on a diet high in fruits and vegetables and I've never seen in all the news and documentary shows about obese people where any of them was eating a healthy diet. They ALL were eating a diet heavy in meat and fat.

Foolish is stating that one diet is "better" than another across the board for all people.
The science says otherwise as all legit scientific associations says make the bulk of your diet plant-based.

Health and survival are synonymous.....
Not as much as you think. Our genetics make us able to eat more crappy food early in life rather than later in life without as much consequence because as far as nature is concerned about our species, we only need a couple decades to continue our species as female humans can start having offspring around 10-12 yrs old. It's around our 30's does our bad diets really start hitting us, but that's well long enough to be able to keep our species going.

The man setting stone for 12hr per day is going to have differing nutritional requirements than a pregnant housewife.

Just as some whistle$#@! typing at a keyboard is going to have differing nutritional requirements than the cross-training, menstruating triathlete.

Promoting fruits and vegetables over meat and dairy fails to address the reality of life.
As long as they are getting enough calories from fruits, starches, and vegetables, why would they need a larger proportion of meat and dairy?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 12:21 PM
Look dude I'm not a dietitian, don't want to be either, but your constant push to eat the food of food is nuts.

Plants alone don't constitute a healthy diet.

You eat whatever you want and I'll keep eating whatever I want.

I'm closer to 60 than 50 and still wear 31" Levis what with eating meat, cheese, vegetables, fruit and nuts.

I want no part of your fads.

farreri
04-15-2016, 12:26 PM
I want no part of your fads.
Exactly what fad do you think I'm promoting?

tod evans
04-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Exactly what fad do you think I'm promoting?

Are you fucking dense?

Eating nothing but plants was a fad in the 60's and it's still a fad today.

It's not healthy but you do whatever you want to your body.

farreri
04-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Are you $#@!ing dense?

Eating nothing but plants
Show me where I've advocated eating nothing but plants to prove I'm $#@!ing dense, or admit that you're $#@!ing dense.