PDA

View Full Version : Feds Spend $548,459 Studying Male Students’ ‘Microaggressions’ at Women

Origanalist
04-07-2016, 03:37 AM
Feds Spend $548,459 Studying Male Students’ ‘Microaggressions’ Towards Women

Students to be videotaped in engineering classrooms

microaggressions/ AP

BY: Elizabeth Harrington
April 6, 2016 4:59 am

The National Science Foundation is spending over $500,000 to videotape male engineering students while they work in labs to see if they are causing women to experience “microaggressions.”

The University of Michigan received the funding for a three-year project that is studying whether male college students ignore their fellow female classmates’ work.

“Because engineering is cast as a masculine field, women engineering students can experience subtle yet pervasive stereotypic messages in their learning environments that can negatively influence their experiences,” according to the grant for the study. “This early stage research project will identify specific behavioral manifestations of gender stereotypes—microaggressions—and their cumulative effect on learning, performance, and persistence in introductory engineering course teamwork.”

“Such microaggressions may cause the climate of the team to become less welcoming to women,” the researchers warn. “The proposed research unites two areas of strong research interest (social science research on gender stereotypes and engineering education on teamwork and climate) to advance understanding of women’s underrepresentation in engineering as compared to men.”

The study has received $548,459 in taxpayer funding since it began in September 2014. The project is estimated to continue through August 2017.

The project will involve videotaping engineering classrooms to observe “perceived stereotype threats” against female students.

“The goal of the project is to identify and reliably measure microaggressions in both lab-based and classroom-based engineering student project teams,” the grant said. “The research will test whether exposure to microaggressions increases perceived stereotype threat and diminishes a sense of belonging in engineering for women compared to men, leading to a gender gap favoring men in the important engineering outcomes of learning, performance, and persistence.”

The first phase of the study is to “identify the specific types of microaggressions,” such as male students “ignoring women’s contributions or assigning women to less important tasks.”

“Researchers will develop a reliable microaggressions assessment procedure, and will analyze effects on engineering outcomes (learning, performance, and persistence),” the grant said.

Following the analysis of the recorded lab sessions, the researchers will host focus groups for students. The students will also be shown videos with and without “microaggressions” to test their “persistence in solving problems.”

“Introductory engineering student teams will be tracked and observed at three points in one semester to measure microaggressions and their influence on academic and psychological outcomes,” the grant said.

continued..http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-spend-500k-microaggressions/

tod evans
04-07-2016, 04:00 AM
The study has received $548,459 in taxpayer funding since it began in September 2014.

That's roughly $19k per month! :eek:

Suppose I too could get rich if I pretended to give a shit about 'microaggressions'?

Origanalist
04-07-2016, 04:12 AM
That's roughly $19k per month! :eek:

Suppose I too could get rich if I pretended to give a shit about 'microaggressions'?

If you studied up enough to know the lingo, probably.

tod evans
04-07-2016, 04:13 AM
If you studied up enough to know the lingo, probably.

I can't lie that well......:o

Ronin Truth
04-07-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm much more interested in the sub micro aggressions.

Brian4Liberty
04-07-2016, 09:20 AM
So they are looking for something that is subtle, subjective and open to interpretation. Wonder if they'll find what they want to find?

Ronin Truth
04-07-2016, 10:05 AM
So they are looking for something that is subtle, subjective and open to interpretation. Wonder if they'll find what they want to find?

How could they not? LMAO! Oh wait, not enough grant money to keep on looking.

Brian4Liberty
04-07-2016, 10:47 AM
...The first phase of the study is to “identify the specific types of microaggressions,” such as male students “ignoring women’s contributions or assigning women to less important tasks.”...

Isn't that what you always look for in an employee? People who will not perform tasks that they feel are beneath them or just don't want to do, and if you even ask, you are guilty of a crime. A company will function really well like that.

Another incentive to hire or import foreigners as employees.

Brian4Liberty
04-07-2016, 12:16 PM
https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/718140201604743168

nobody's_hero
04-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I don't know what annoys me more, the money wasted, or the use of hipster terminology.

'Microaggressions doesn't even pass spellcheck.

Also, this study won't work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect

Ronin Truth
04-07-2016, 04:06 PM
I don't know what annoys me more, the money wasted, or the use of hipster terminology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect It's really OK, the money is only debt, made from fresh air. We've gots trillions and trillions of 'em.

Anti-Neocon
04-07-2016, 04:28 PM
So 0.17 cents per person. Good for memes though I guess.

Bryan
04-07-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm much more interested in the sub micro aggressions.
Interesting concept, I'm sure we could get a big grant to study this. We might need a few victims first, any volunteers? :)

the money is only debt, made from fresh air.
No, it's not. Quit hating on fresh air. I mean, what do you have against fresh air? What would you rather have, Federal Reserve Notes or fresh air? Case closed!! :D

Origanalist
04-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Interesting concept, I'm sure we could get a big grant to study this. We might need a few victims first, any volunteers? :)

No, it's not. Quit hating on fresh air. I mean, what do you have against fresh air? What would you rather have, Federal Reserve Notes or fresh air? Case closed!! :D

Oh c'mon there has to be at least a few volunteers here..:toady:

Suzanimal
04-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Fuck it, I'll volunteer to me microagressed. Bring it on, but be warned, I might microagress you back.:)

brandon
04-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Most government funded social studies are pretty stupid and sketchy, but I don't this this one stands out as any worse than the others. One, it's a small amount of money. Two, "microaggressions" is a shitty word we can all mock, but there probably is room for improvement in how men treat women in fields dominated by men.

(Also, I'm just partly playing devil's advocate here)

brandon
04-07-2016, 06:38 PM
I'd guess the most common microaggression is that the socially inept male engineers are too scared to talk to women, so they just don't.

parocks
04-07-2016, 07:07 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect

Hipster? PC? SJW?

Origanalist
04-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Fuck it, I'll volunteer to me microagressed. Bring it on, but be warned, I might microagress you back.:)

-rep

Krugminator2
04-07-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm a Michigan Engineering grad. I would guess 80% of students were males.

The reason women don't become engineers isn't because of microaggressions. Women are wired differently. I was always happy to see women and black kids in my class. They brought down the curve. That isn't racist or sexist. That is objective reality. Instead of blaming non-existent microaggressions, maybe accept some people have different aptitudes.

RJB
04-07-2016, 08:18 PM
This article cracked me up for that exact reason. My father and brother are engineers. Engineers think totally diffferent from the rest of the population because they actually think rather than react on emotion.

LOL at studying how engineers deal with women.

I'm a Michigan Engineering grad. I would guess 80% of students were males.

The reason women don't become engineers isn't because of microaggressions. Women are wired differently. I was always happy to see women and black kids in my class. They brought down the curve. That isn't racist or sexist. That is objective reality. Instead of blaming non-existent microaggressions, maybe accept some people have different aptitudes.

RJB
04-07-2016, 08:22 PM
BTW this is a great example of how engineers look at the world differently. Yeah it's a joke, but it's why they will sometimes rub the emotional people the wrong way:

THE ENGINEER AT THE GOLF COURSE

A pastor, a doctor and an engineer wait for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumes, "What's with these guys? We've been waiting for 15 minutes!"

The pastor says, "Hey, here comes the groundskeeper. Let's have a word with him."

"Say, George, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?" the doctor asks.

The groundskeeper tells them that the other golfers are a group of blind firefighters who lost their sight saving the clubhouse from a fire and that they come and play for free whenever they want.

The group is silent for a moment.

The pastor says, "That's so sad. I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The doctor says, "Good idea. I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."

The engineer says, "Why can't these guys play at night?"

RJB
04-07-2016, 08:26 PM
$#@! it, I'll volunteer to me microagressed. Bring it on, but be warned, I might microagress you back.:)
I won't mess with you. Women are the best at micro-aggressing. That why my wife hears "yes dear," from me a lot. She has me beat at the game before it starts.

Suzanimal
04-07-2016, 08:59 PM
-rep

- rep you're going to have to do better than that to make me feel microagressed.

I won't mess with you. Women are the best at micro-aggressing. That why my wife hears "yes dear," from me a lot. She has me beat at the game before it starts.

I think that was a microagression.:eek:

RonPaulIsGreat
04-07-2016, 09:50 PM
I knew I died in that car wreck... So, I did go to hell. I'm sure of it now, I hope this is purgatory and I'm not trapped in the USA forever. They'll throw you in prison for years over a few grand possibly but waste 1/2 million on total bullshit, a okay no consequence. Pay for this stupid shit or get raped, that is the truth of it. What a piece of shit we've built.

REALLY, It's censoring the naughty version of the poop word. WTF, really.

AZJoe
04-08-2016, 04:52 AM
Source of Microaggressors located:
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2015/09/lego/lead_960.jpg?1442582170

Beware, the Microaggressors are Microgrouping for an all out Microinvasion
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2015/09/ts/lead_960.jpg?1442223815

Ronin Truth
04-08-2016, 06:07 AM

Nothing at all against fresh air, until the Fed screws it up and makes it worthlesss and dirty. Not so fresh anymore, after that.

RJB
04-08-2016, 06:20 AM
After thinking about this last night, this was basically a study about why nerds can't get laid.

alucard13mm
04-08-2016, 09:46 PM
These social justice warrior cunts are hurting the gaming industry... My beloved bikini girl game wont be released in america T_T.

Dr.3D
04-13-2016, 08:15 PM
After thinking about this last night, this was basically a study about why nerds can't get laid.
I have seen some engineering screw ups....
https://s16-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.investorvillage.com% 2Fuploads%2F15759%2Fimages%2Fupside_down_800.jpg&sp=0794240a4f44ab4ef98494bd49bca9cb

Mach
04-13-2016, 09:55 PM

An outwardly aggressive microaggressor that welcomes microaggression.... multiple personalities.

Yes, women, passive-micro-aggression masters.

----

Could you imagine being a microaggression consultant and selling the gov on this "great new market"?

Talk about creating something out of nothing.

Suzanimal
04-14-2016, 04:07 AM
An outwardly aggressive microaggressor that welcomes microaggression.... multiple personalities.

I'm prepared for any situation.:cool:

otherone
04-14-2016, 05:31 AM

good name for a douchey craft beer, though.

tod evans
04-14-2016, 05:42 AM
Does swatting the beer-fender on the ass as she walks by count as a micro or macro aggression?

How about cat-calls from scaffolding? What about the frumpy broads that don't get cat-called?

Winks?

otherone
04-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Does swatting the beer-fender on the ass as she walks by count as a micro or macro aggression?

How about cat-calls from scaffolding? What about the frumpy broads that don't get cat-called?

Winks?

How about not calling the next day after you promised to?

osan
05-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Boo hooty fraakin' hoo.

Want to play with the boys? Then cowboy up and stop your whining.

I spent four years in engineering school. Most of the women in the program weren't worth a shit as engineers and that is uncontestable fact. The few that were, were treated like one of the boys, so to speak. The rest, well, they were not tormented or even ignored. Hell, we did everything we could to help them, but they just did not have the mindset of an engineer and no amount of help was successful in changing it. That's reality. These PC fools would blame the inadequacies of a wannabe on the fact that others have better things to do with their time than attempting to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon. I cannot speak for others, but I had a hell of a time at it and needed to concentrate on what I was doing. Trying to keep the Titanic afloat wasn't even on my list of things to remotely consider one day in about 200 years.

The creeping totalitarianism as made manifest by this sort of PC bullshit needs to be slapped down hard before it is too late.... assuming it isn't already beyond repair. My recommendation is to be un-PC in every possible social situation. Refuse to cave to the whiners. I do it daily.

acptulsa
05-07-2016, 09:20 AM
One thing is certain--if the Feds pay you half a million to study something, you will study it.

If you can't find any of it, you'll damned well create some of it just so you can study it.

That's why the federal government does not necessarily advance science by throwing money at it. It's like doing push polling. Normal polling is a gauge designed to measure something, while push polling is designed to create something--it doesn't point the needle to where things are, it tries to change conditions enough to move that needle.

A half a million dollar bribe not to see if something exists, but to study something whether it exists or not, is not science. It is the first step in creating propaganda. It is the 'create a problem' step of the 'problem -> reaction -> solution worse than the problem' strategy.

donnay
05-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Throw enough money at them they'll find Big Foot. :)

donnay
05-07-2016, 10:04 AM
This is probably another ploy to take guns away.

RonPaulIsGreat
05-07-2016, 10:39 AM
The tone of this thread is a micro-aggression against women.

Brian4Liberty
05-07-2016, 12:55 PM
The tone of this thread is a micro-aggression against women.

Now you've gone and triggered us.