PDA

View Full Version : I just called my local Rep about HR 1955, have you?

dshields
12-07-2007, 03:41 PM
As strong as we are opinionated about this, be sure to call your local representation (or lack of) and voice your concern over this bill.

By the way, don't email, calls are much more tangible evidence of opinion in they're eyes.

Dave

McDermit
12-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Yep. Last week.

Jonjon112687
12-09-2007, 04:13 PM
:confused:So, I called
T. Don Hutto Residential Center
1001 Welch St., P.O. Box 1063
Taylor, Texas 76574
512-218-2400
Fax: 512-218-2450

You should do it yourself... send this number out... have every one call... ask if its a concentration camp... the lady said to call back 8-5 m-f and hung up on me!!! why couldnt she just answer my question... she sounded really nervous... and untrained... call and see if you get the same lady... maybe she will realize what it is she is doing... she didnt seem to be able to answer my question at all and hung up on me....

Kacela
12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I did contact mine, and based on who he is, I expected such a response:

December 12, 2007

Mr. Robert Jochim

55 Nells Rd

Milford, CT 06460

Dear Mr. Jochim:

Thank you for writing me to express your concerns about the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 (S. 1959/H.R. 1955). I appreciate hearing from you and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As Chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs (HSGAC), I am leading an investigation into the causes of and the threat from homegrown terrorism inspired by violent Islamist extremism and what federal, state, and local governments are doing and need to do to counter and neutralize that threat.

This legislation, which passed the U.S. House of Representatives by a vote of 404-6 in October, would expand upon HSGAC's efforts by creating a bipartisan commission to examine and report upon the facts and causes of violent radicalization and ideologically-based violence. In the final report, the commission would identify its findings and conclusions and then make legislative recommendations for Congress to consider. The legislation also requires the Secretary to ensure that activities to prevent ideologically-based violence and homegrown terrorism do not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, and civil liberties of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.

Importantly, this legislation does not criminalize anything, does not infringe upon the rights of groups or individuals to protest peacefully, nor does it infringe upon the privacy or civil liberties of the American people. The legislation also directs the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Officer to ensure that the commission's activities do not infringe upon civil liberties.

Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind as I continue to review this legislation. To keep track of future actions on S. 1959 or H.R. 1955, you can go to the "Bill Tracking" service at http://lieberman.senate.gov/issues/resources.

If you would like to follow HSGAC's investigation into Islamist radicalization, please visit the Committee's web site at: http://hsgac.senate.gov. There you can access the schedule of upcoming hearings, view press releases, track legislation that has been sent to the Committee, and view other HSGAC information.

Additionally, my official Senate web site is designed to be an on-line office that provides access to constituent services, Connecticut-specific information, and an abundance of information about what I am working on in the Senate on behalf of Connecticut and the nation. I am also pleased to let you know that I have launched an email news update service through my web site. You can sign up for that service by visiting http://lieberman.senate.gov and clicking on the "Subscribe Email News Updates" button at the bottom of the home page. I hope these are informative and useful.

Please contact me if you have any additional questions or comments about our work in Congress.

Sincerely,

Joseph I. Lieberman

UNITED STATES SENATOR

JIL:gac

Wendi
12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
We should all send certified letters. That might get their attention ;)