View Full Version : Don't bring signs says campaign

autobot
12-07-2007, 03:24 PM
What NOT to bring:
- All the obvious things
- Alcohol/Drugs
- Guns, knives, fireworks
- Large banners, signs

This is from the official campaign website regarding the "Christmas vacation for Ron Paul" in Iowa event.

Any thoughts on why they would ask folks not to bring Large banners and signs?

PS. I am just wondering if there is a time and place for signs. I meant to start a discussion about when is a good time to carry signs and when its not a good time.

BLS
12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
What NOT to bring:
- All the obvious things
- Alcohol/Drugs
- Large banners, signs

This is from the official campaign website regarding the "Christmas vacation for Ron Paul" in Iowa event.

Because they'll provide anything/everything you need.

specialkornflake
12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
They are housing everyone in large, dormitory conditions and likely won't have room or will be unable to transport them.

McDermit
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Not to mention that the people there will be door-to-dooring nearly the entire time. Sign waving/posting by those individuals would be a waste of precious man hours.

austin356
12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
no guns?

What if we have a CC permit?

Paulitician
12-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Good. Don't contradict them.

dmspilot00
12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Another misleading thread title.

AlexMerced
12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
no guns?

it's for in case Gravel shows up and starts yelling at everybody, last thing we want is an accident

for the record, I like gravel

kylejack
12-07-2007, 03:33 PM
There will be plenty of sign-wavers. This has a singular mission: canvassing. Canvassing is one of the greatest ways to get the message out, and they don't want people distracted from the canvassing mission.

Kapt Nemo
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
it's for in case Gravel shows up and starts yelling at everybody, last thing we want is an accident

for the record, I like gravel

The only accident to come of that would be if Dick Cheney was around at the time...

10thAmendmentMan
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
What NOT to bring:
- Alcohol/Drugs

They REALLY want this event to be boring as hell. Don't they? :(

billv
12-07-2007, 03:35 PM
no guns?

If you are from out of state, the CC permit may not apply in Iowa?

kylejack
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
no guns?

No guns, permit or not. No alcohol, even if you're old enough. If you're going to this, do as they say. They're providing you free room and board, so obey their rules.

nist7
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
no guns?

My interpretation is that by grouping "guns, knives, fireworks" together, they don't want gun enthusiasts to show up with their favorite Carbine or AK-47 collections. I'm thinking they'll allow CCW if you are legally sanctioned to do so. Although these days there are barely anywhere that one can go that has banned firearms.

I guess the best way to answer that question is to contact the official campaign.

vegetarianrpfan
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
If you are from out of state, the CC permit may not apply in Iowa?

Many states have reciprocity with other states. A Florida CC covers almost every state that has CC laws, and North Carolina covers more than 30 states.

-------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

Man from La Mancha
12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
A large sign can block views and might be avoided by media, if you notice a lot of media shots of sign wavers are signs that are homemade and/or only a couple feet across at most.

JPFromTally
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
One word... Blowback.

autobot
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey Now, I didn't mislead with the title. But it just made me think about why signs are discouraged. Regular signs don't take up lots of room. So that isn't the issue.

I totally support whatever the campaign does 100%, of course. Just thought it was interesting. Perhaps signs are not the thing to bring to CERTAIN activities--such as going door to door.

Don't get all upset, just trying to be helpful, here.

rollingpig
12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
bring RC blimps~

SovereignMN
12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I think the reason they don't want guns, fireworks, etc is because they are housing people at church and boy scout camps. It's probably the camps rules and we respect the rights of private property owners.

MusoSpuso
12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
no guns?

I don't think it would send a very good message to Iowans with Ron Paul supporters on their front door packing heat.

Common sense people.

JordanL
12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
What NOT to bring:
- All the obvious things
- Alcohol/Drugs
- Large banners, signs

That's for students headed to Iowa specifically for the RSVP event.

jgmaynard
12-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Or.........

What if they DID want us to bring signs and knowing how contraian we are, decided to tell us not to bring them, so that we'd bring even more..... :D jk

JM

autobot
12-07-2007, 04:23 PM
. I am just wondering if there is a time and place for signs. I meant to start a discussion about when is a good time to carry signs and when its not a good time

I added this statement to the original post to clarify. I thought this would be a great, subject to talk about. When approaching people one on one to speak about Ron Paul or when going to a persons house, perhaps buttons are a better choice. Like that little blimp. I think those are great when just canvassing. I enjoy canvassing so that's why I was interested in this topic, not to annoy people, so ease up.

MrZach
12-09-2007, 04:05 AM
There will be plenty of sign-wavers. This has a singular mission: canvassing. Canvassing is one of the greatest ways to get the message out, and they don't want people distracted from the canvassing mission.

Exactly. I think the point of this project is injecting the personal touch (notice it says bring your reasons why you support Ron Paul). Signs and banners are impersonal, and not as effective as, and quite contrary to the mission of this project. At least... that is what I gather.

Fried Hog
12-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Exactly. I think the point of this project is injecting the personal touch (notice it says bring your reasons why you support Ron Paul). Signs and banners are impersonal, and not as effective as, and quite contrary to the mission of this project. At least... that is what I gather.Well said.