PDA

View Full Version : Censorship?

aravoth
05-18-2007, 11:07 PM
It's been almost 12 hours now, and my video's have not updated the number of views. The only reason I know this is the case and not the case of people just not watching them is becuase "join the revolution" is linked to several outside blog sites.

One of wich has a counter that tell how many times it's been viewed. On thier site it says it's been seen over 3000 times, yet on youtube it says it has only been viewed through that site 400ish times. I hope that the system is just slow to react. Otherwise I'm really going to get fired up.

cujothekitten
05-18-2007, 11:20 PM
It's been almost 12 hours now, and my video's have not updated the number of views. The only reason I know this is the case and not the case of people just not watching them is becuase "join the revolution" is linked to several outside blog sites.

One of wich has a counter that tell how many times it's been viewed. On thier site it says it's been seen over 3000 times, yet on youtube it says it has only been viewed through that site 400ish times. I hope that the system is just slow to react. Otherwise I'm really going to get fired up.

Youtube has been having problems with their counters. The other night it wasn't working for any videos at all and the other people I subscribe to have also noticed their counter isn't working. I'm sure they'll fix it sooner or later.

Bryan
05-18-2007, 11:36 PM
A friend of mine sent this on an e-mail list I'm on:

Youtube keeps reset video statistics data on video about Ron Paul to
keep them from showing up in the most popular and feature video lists.
I saw one happen myself and many other users are reporting it. e.g.
60,000+ views of a video one minute down to 20,000 the next.

Korey Kaczynski
05-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Could be people running a program to constantly refresh the page and thus youtube catches it; I bet they're used to people doing that for their own selves so they watch out for it.

MediaTruthNetwork
05-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Google did the same thing with Aaron Russo's film. They kept resetting the counters
and even going as far as sporadically removing the video. They were also deleting
comments.

I would expect these kinds of tactics to only increase.

In a way it;s good because people wake up and start taking notice when they
can see for themselves the trickery going on. Mainstream media is starting to
hurt as more people look elsewhere for the "real" news.

- Dave

MsDoodahs
05-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, it is most certainly a wake up call to thinking americans.

I'm beginning to suspect that the MSM had no clue just how powerful the internet has become, just in the past one to two years.

I can't figure out HOW they underestimated it - because I can't imagine them being THAT dumb - but it seems to me that perhaps they did.

Hawaii Libertarian
05-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I also noticed a counter problem on the main Ron Paul Meetup page. In the list of cities where groups haven't formed yet, but have interested people, I found one city showed four interested people in parentheses after that city, but when you drill down, there are seven people listed. :confused:

Therion
05-19-2007, 08:04 AM
We shouldn't be too fast to chalk up technical bugs to censorship. That just makes us look even more like a bunch of nuts and conspiricy theorists.

MediaTruthNetwork
05-19-2007, 08:09 AM
The comments I made were definitely not based around technical
bugs. Same thing with the ABC censorship that happened online.
They were purging comments like crazy including mine.

Aravoth's current problem might be due to bugs or overload, but
the crap that went on with Aaron's video and ABC was clear and
blatant censorship and behind the scenes manipulation.

- Dave

AlexAmore
05-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I noticed some wierd stuff too on youtube and Ron's videos. I actually thought they removed a video and screwed with another video, then I just boiled it down to me possibly not understanding how youtube manages their video rankings.

I'm confused.

mdh
05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
This goes to show that "new media" is no better than "old media" in a lot of regards. If you don't own the systems and you don't write the code, you're not in control and can have no real expectations. This is why I own so many systems and write so much code. :p

(By the way, if anyone needs anything in terms of network resources, email me through this site!)