PDA

View Full Version : Feds to Fine Schools for Not Following Michelle Obama’s Lunch Rules

Origanalist
03-29-2016, 08:08 AM
Proposed reg would punish schools for ‘egregious or persistent disregard’
for sodium limits

BY: Elizabeth Harrington
March 28, 2016 2:40 pm

The federal government is taking steps to fine schools that do not comply with first lady Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service issued a proposed rule Monday to codify parts of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which was championed by Mrs. Obama.

The regulation would punish schools and state departments with fines for “egregious or persistent disregard” for the lunch rules that imposed sodium and calorie limits and banned white grains.

A West Virginia preschool teacher was threatened with fines for violating the rules by rewarding her students with candy for good behavior in June 2015. The teacher ultimately did not have to pay, but the school had to develop a “corrective action plan” with training on the policies.

The government now seeks to make fines enforceable by regulation. Section 303 of the law requires that the federal government “establish criteria for the imposition of fines” for all the Department of Agriculture’s child food programs.

“Under section 303, the Secretary or a State agency may establish an assessment against any school food authority or school administering the Child Nutrition Programs if the Secretary or the State agency determines that the school or school food authority failed to correct severe mismanagement of any program, failed to correct repeated violations of program requirements, or disregarded a requirement of which they have been informed,” the proposed rule states.

The government insisted that fines would be limited only to schools, school food authorities, and state agencies that have “failed to correct severe mismanagement of any program, disregarded a requirement of which it has been informed, or failed to correct repeated violations of program requirements.”

“It is important to note that the statutory scheme only anticipates assessments be established in instances of severe mismanagement of a program, disregard of a program requirement of which the program operator had been informed, or failure to correct repeated violations [emphasis in original],” according to the proposed regulation. “These criteria suggest that violations that would result in assessments would be egregious or persistent in nature, remaining unresolved after the normal monitoring and oversight activities have failed to secure corrective action.”

The Food and Nutrition Service is targeting schools that refuse to comply with Mrs. Obama’s lunch rules and said monetary penalties are a “useful tool” to get noncompliant cafeterias in line.

“However, there have been cases, albeit few, where program operators have failed to correct Program violations through the normal administrative review requirements and technical assistance,” the agency said. “This proposed rule would provide both the Department and State agencies the authority to establish an assessment after the normal monitoring and oversight activities have been unsuccessful in correcting program violations.”

“The Department anticipates assessments would be established only on rare occasions in securing corrective action,” they added. “However, it should serve as a useful tool when egregious or persistent disregard of Program requirements occurs.”

The fines would be the latest consequence of the healthy eating law that Mrs. Obama lobbied for in 2010. More than 1.4 million students have left the lunch line since the rules went into effect, as students have complained of small portions and unappetizing fare. The standards have been blamed for cafeteria workers losing their jobs, and some kids have even resorted to creating black markets for salt to add flavor.

continued..
http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-schools-michelle-obamas-lunch-rules/

RJ Liberty
03-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Since when does the First Lady set federal guidelines for school districts? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for healthy lunches. I recall under the Bush administration, ketchup was considered a "vegetable".

ZENemy
03-29-2016, 08:25 AM
lol, you dont need anymore proof that they have no jurisdiction, they use a guns to enforce a piece of paper upon all of the world and when they dont have that piece of paper they just use what works; violence.

presence
03-29-2016, 08:46 AM
So less federal funding for public schools?

I am approve.

euphemia
03-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Control the food source, control the people.

FindLiberty
03-29-2016, 10:50 AM
It's insane (lunch program).

"If not for the government, those kids would all be starving!" /s

[insert photo of crappy school lunch, goop-on-a-tray]

Anti Federalist
03-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Since when does the First Lady set federal guidelines for school districts? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for healthy lunches. I recall under the Bush administration, ketchup was considered a "vegetable".

Well, if you are all for healthy lunches, you should be in favor of this fatwa.

That's how our rulers get things done, for our own good.

Anti Federalist
03-29-2016, 02:19 PM

Well, if you are all for healthy lunches, you should be in favor of this fatwa.

That's how our rulers get things done, for our own good.

Anti Federalist
03-29-2016, 02:34 PM
http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/546fbec069bedd0375b100c5-480/lunch-michelle-obama.jpg

Dr.3D
03-29-2016, 03:31 PM
So who elected the first lady to do anything but look ugly?

euphemia
03-29-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't blame school districts. They have to look the students in the face and tell them this slop is good for them. Even the most malevolent educrat does not want to starve kids. That lunch tray would not fill up any 10 year old I know, much less a high school athlete.

Anti Federalist
03-29-2016, 04:26 PM
So who elected the first lady to do anything but look ugly?

Why you getting evicted?

Dr.3D
03-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Why you getting evicted?
Yeah!

Anti Federalist
03-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Yeah!

Anything we can do to help?

Dr.3D
03-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Anything we can do to help?
Nope, I doubt there is much anybody can do to make the "First Lady" look better.

luctor-et-emergo
03-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Nope, I doubt there is much anybody can do to make the "First Lady" look better.

Vote trump ?

angelatc
03-29-2016, 06:55 PM
I don't blame school districts. They have to look the students in the face and tell them this slop is good for them. Even the most malevolent educrat does not want to starve kids. That lunch tray would not fill up any 10 year old I know, much less a high school athlete.

The job of feeding children should not belong to the state.

Zippyjuan
03-29-2016, 07:08 PM
What do they want- free money AND no strings attached?

oyarde
03-30-2016, 07:21 AM
What do they want- free money AND no strings attached?

Where I live the entire school system is funded by property tax.I am opposed to that .Since it is that way they can certainly provide decent meals with no Fed money very easily .The amount of money the school system has is staggering .

tod evans
03-30-2016, 07:26 AM
What better way to piss off a bunch of upcoming potential voters?

alucard13mm
03-30-2016, 07:38 AM
Good times when i went to school... lunch was decent half the time. Tater tots, french fries, waffles, sausage were my favorite. The worse thing was those rectangle pizzas.

opal
03-30-2016, 10:08 AM
http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/546fbec069bedd0375b100c5-480/lunch-michelle-obama.jpg

Among everything else that is wrong with this tray.. no mustard?????

Wooden Indian
03-30-2016, 10:38 AM
The worse thing was those rectangle pizzas.

Dead to me.

Chester Copperpot
03-30-2016, 10:43 AM

i thought that was Reagan

tod evans
03-30-2016, 10:47 AM
The worse thing was those rectangle pizzas.

60' and 70's students carried a brown bag and if you could afford it bought a slice or two on Friday when school served their version of pizza......

Our school had real sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and a sauce that wasn't half bad...No prepackaged BS, Thursday last period you could smell the dough rising for the next day...

opal
03-30-2016, 10:50 AM
60' and 70's students carried a brown bag and if you could afford it bought a slice or two on Friday when school served their version of pizza......

Our school had real sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and a sauce that wasn't half bad...No prepackaged BS, Thursday last period you could smell the dough rising for the next day...

brown bag or scooby do lunch box....

tod evans
03-30-2016, 10:52 AM

Our family, 6 kids, used lunch boxes up to 4th or 5th grade then bags were cooler........

alucard13mm
03-30-2016, 04:07 PM
Dead to me.

Its just firm cheese with ketchup on a hard or soggy bread... lol

euphemia
03-30-2016, 04:18 PM
The job of feeding children should not belong to the state.

Kind of not the point here. The discussion is about what is happening, not what should be happening. Ideally, the government should stop school lunches and kids should bring lunches. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and the school districts get extra money based on the number of students eligible for free or reduced price lunches.

Danke
03-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Racist!

Seattle city government bans racist terms ‘citizen’ and ‘brown bag’

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/02/seattle-city-government-bans-racist-terms-like-citizen-and-brown-bag/

oyarde
03-30-2016, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=Danke;6183839]Racist!

Seattle city government bans racist terms ‘citizen’ and ‘brown bag’

I used to go down to the docks in Seattle to the fish market and buy crabs in the 80's . I used to shoot the shit with a guy who hung out there with his brown bag . So , I brought my brown bag too .

RJ Liberty
03-30-2016, 08:27 PM
i thought that was Reagan

Yes, sir. You are correct, sir! </Ed McMahon voice>

Just looked it up.

osan
03-31-2016, 07:47 PM
What the copulate?

Barack Obama needs to get her husband on a tighter leash.

osan
03-31-2016, 07:59 PM

Question: that thing to the northeast of the weenie - is that the scrotum? Are they cooking scrotum haggis for the little darlings these days?

I love Michelle Obama - he's my kind of man.