PDA

View Full Version : NC-Cops to ticket drivers for 1 MPH over the speed limit

Anti Federalist
03-27-2016, 06:26 PM
I would avoid NC for the next couple of weeks, until the cop-gasm has subsided.

North Carolina’s Cloverific Temper Tantrum

by eric • March 27, 2016

http://ericpetersautos.com/2016/03/27/north-carolinas-cloverific-temper-tantrum/

Clovers like ALL CAPS. It is their way of temper-tantruming. Invariably, when their most sacred totem – THE LAW – is scoffed.

North Carolina has gone full Clover.

Speed limits WILL be obeyed, to the letter. Or else.

Unleash the hounds.

Well, unleash the North Carolina State Police – whose primary mission, it appears, is not the apprehension of thieves, rapists and murderers and other people who’ve actually caused harm to others but rather to enforce the speed limit on North Carolina highways.

North Carolina’s Department of Transportation – the Hauptquartier of the state police – is launching an uber-Clover unternehmen (I use the German for the same reason that “Homeland” sounds much more right when it is rendered in the original, der Heimat… as in, for instance, Heimatsicherheitsdeinst… look it up.. you may be interested to learn the literal translation, as well as its prior usage) to filch as many dollars from as many “speeders” as possible.

The unternehmen (i.e., the operation) is called Obey the Sign Or Pay the Fine.

All caps.

And yes, really.

One could not gin up a better slogan for the mindless bullying of the populace by government enforcers (their own term, don’t forget.. peace-keeping having gone out of vogue a long time ago).

“Zero tolerance” for any non-immediate supinage to THE LAW.

The operation began in late March and runs through April 3 and – according to the NC State Police Hauptquartier, drivers will be ticketed – that is, waylaid by an armed stranger and threatened with physical violence unless they hand over money – for “speeding” as little as 1 MPH in excess of the posted maximum.

“Many Americans believe they won’t be ticketed if they drive within a ‘buffer zone’ above the posted speed limit. But now, law enforcement will be targeting and ticketing speeding drivers,” lectures the North Carolina DOT Hauptquartier (see here).

Because we all know how unsafe it is to drive 71 MPH in a zone with a 70 MPH posted maximum.

In the same same way it was not-unrecently unsafe to drive, well, 70 MPH on the same highway… you know, before the state arbitrarily rescinded the prior 55 MPH maximum (which had just as arbitrarily replaced the former 70-75 MPH maximum).

Safety, you see, is all a matter of numbers.

Whatever number they decree – subject to random, arbitrary change at any time.

This helps with other numbers.

The number of tickets issued, for instance. And thereby, the amount of revenue collected.

Which, of course, is ultimately what this is all about.

What it has always been about.

Speed limits get set such that almost every driver is “speeding” whenever they are driving – and so subject to being ticketed at almost any time.

It is literally like shooting fish in a barrel.

But what to think of a speed limit that’s (see above) no such thing?

Legally, sure. The speed limit is the fastest you’re allowed to drive. But it’s not a limit in any other sense.

The term implies – this number is the absolute fastest it’s safe to travel; any faster (even 1 MPH faster) is to cross a red line from reasonable to reckless. But a question comes to mind – or ought to: If almost everyone is “speeding” every time they get behind the wheel (which they are) then either the speed limit is preposterous, a limit in the legal sense only – or almost everyone is a maniac, indifferent to their safety as well as the safety of others.

Which do you suppose it is?

If speed limits were actual rather than legal limits, the number would comport with a velocity obviously unreasonable to most people, who would for their own self-interested reasons avoid driving that fast. Enforcement would be comparable to enforcement of laws forbidding theft. Most people don’t do that, either – so cops can focus on the few who do.

But then, there’s not much money in going after thieves while there is a fortune (millions) to be made from enforcing silly laws that turn almost everyone into an offender (and so, a payer).

It is not necessary to post signs forbidding 100 MPH speeds on suburban roads because most people would never think of driving at such speeds on suburban roads, regardless of THE LAW.

So, what we’re dealing with here is a bogeyman – a manufactured offense.

Most of us know this, instinctively.

It is why we feel anger rather than remorse when we are pulled over (that is, forced to stop by an armed stranger) and handed a piece of paper ordering us to Stand and Deliver.

The anger sure to erupt over North Carolina’s “zero tolerance” Obey The Sign Or Pay The Fine exercise in sheeple shearing is bound to be volcanic (one hopes) especially given that most speedometers are slightly inaccurate. You may believe you set the cruise control to 70 – but officer not-so-friendly’s radar gun says 72.

Bye-bye $150.

Plus whatever the insurance mafia ends up surcharging you for this manufactured offense.

So, you might want to avoid North Carolina between now and April 3 – when Unternehmen Obey The Sign or Pay The Fine is schedule to end.

One wonders how much longer this sort of thing will be tolerated – when pushback will (at last) erupt and the cynical, tyrannical acts of these creatures who lord it over us become intolerable and so no longer enforceable.

ChristianAnarchist
03-27-2016, 06:44 PM
I violate every "traffic" "law" that I feel is stupid (most of them) unless one of the goons are nearby. Then I very carefully follow all the ones that I know to a "T". Soon as I'm out of sight...

phill4paul
03-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Fug 'em. I just don't care anymore. They can pound sand.

Danke
03-27-2016, 06:51 PM
This is why I drive 5 mph under the limit in the left lane, so others won't speed and break the law.

Henry Rogue
03-27-2016, 07:00 PM
This is why I drive 5 mph under the limit in the left lane, so others won't speed and break the law.

Your obituary will read "He did it to himself.".

Danke
03-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Your obituary will read "He did it to himself.".

So what you're saying is speed kills. Duh, I learned that in high school drivers safety course a long time ago.

Henry Rogue
03-27-2016, 07:16 PM
So what you're saying is speed kills. Duh, I learned that in high school drivers safety course a long time ago.

Yeah, something like that.

euphemia
03-27-2016, 07:27 PM
This is not news.

Danke
03-27-2016, 07:33 PM
This is not news.

Ya, I bet AF also ignores those no wake signs.

euphemia
03-27-2016, 07:42 PM
I have family in NC. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was driving to visit family for the holidays, everyone slowed down once we crossed the state line. My grandmother's house was only about 30 miles from the state line, but it would take me as long to get from the state line to there as it did to drive from Knoxville to the TN/NC state line because of stricter speed limit enforcement.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2016, 07:43 PM
This is not news.

Actually, it is.

http://abc11.com/travel/speeders-beware-law-enforcement-is-cracking-down/1257209/

euphemia
03-27-2016, 07:49 PM
North Carolina has always been worse than Tennessee. I have plenty of lead in my foot, but I slow down on the other side of the mountains. There is one spot between here and Knoxville that is very bad for speed traps, but that's about the only place.

Danke
03-27-2016, 08:17 PM
Actually, it is.

http://abc11.com/travel/speeders-beware-law-enforcement-is-cracking-down/1257209/

Don't do the crime if you can do the the time, don't do it.

asurfaholic
03-28-2016, 03:56 AM
I know some police officers who are disgusted by this new initiative and openly refuse to participate.

I also know some people who are holding speeding tickets for 36 and 37 mph in a 35.

Thor
03-28-2016, 07:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSE3fkeHAmo

muh_roads
03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
I know some police officers who are disgusted by this new initiative and openly refuse to participate.

I also know some people who are holding speeding tickets for 36 and 37 mph in a 35.

Is their fine $150?

Sadly I think these "tests" are going to ramp up everywhere as the welfare queens need to find new revenue streams. Their "war on weed" is coming to an end soon.

willwash
03-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Is their fine $150?

Sadly I think these "tests" are going to ramp up everywhere as the welfare queens need to find new revenue streams. Their "war on weed" is coming to an end soon.

Won't that bring in more revenue though through taxes on sales of legal mj?

Anti Federalist
03-28-2016, 11:54 AM

Maniac.

I never drive faster than 25.

Why be only a little safer?

specsaregood
03-28-2016, 12:03 PM
wake me when an off-duty cop gets one of these speeding tickets, hell a ticket for going 25mph over the limit.

Brian4Liberty
03-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Careful what you wish for (blind obedience to "speed limit"). It is an adjustment when drivers carefully follow the law and view the posted speed limit as the "maximum". Driver's will go 5 -15 mph under the speed limit to avoid that maximum. This happens when you have a lot of brand new drivers from places where they have no idea how local traffic flows (or used to flow). Imagine drivers three across a three lane road all going 10 mph under the speed limit...

UWDude
03-28-2016, 01:52 PM
A radar gun is tuned at least once a week, and can only be expected to be about 10% accurate. Your speedometer can only be expected to be within 10% of accuracy. Any tickets within 20% of the limit can be thrown out in a court of law.

1 or 2 mph above the limit is not provable.

jmdrake
03-28-2016, 02:09 PM
LOL. I hope they do it. Maybe then people will start waking up. Then again, most likely not.

specsaregood
03-28-2016, 02:10 PM
A radar gun is tuned at least once a week, and can only be expected to be about 10% accurate. Your speedometer can only be expected to be within 10% of accuracy. Any tickets within 20% of the limit can be thrown out in a court of law.

1 or 2 mph above the limit is not provable.

Lawyers are gonna love making the dough off this debacle.

LibertyRevolution
03-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Lawyers are gonna love making the dough off this debacle.

What lawyer? Mail the ticket in with not guilty and request:
The calibration records for the device that measured your speed.
The officer that was operating said device most recent certified training certificate date.

They will just Nolle the ticket, its too much hassle on their end.

ChristianAnarchist
03-29-2016, 05:39 AM
What lawyer? Mail the ticket in with not guilty and request:
The calibration records for the device that measured your speed.
The officer that was operating said device most recent certified training certificate date.

They will just Nolle the ticket, its too much hassle on their end.

Actually I've beaten a couple of tickets with this method. "Beating the Radar Rap" is a great resource on exactly how to do this...
If even a few percentage of people charged with these bogus tickets would do this it would kill their "system".

Dr.3D
03-29-2016, 10:26 AM

When I read those signs along the road that said, "Speed Kills", I was thinking they were talking about drugs.

muh_roads
03-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Won't that bring in more revenue though through taxes on sales of legal mj?

Yeah maybe, but at least it would be more visible. Crooked narcs keep and resell the spoils.

LibertyRevolution
03-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Actually I've beaten a couple of tickets with this method. "Beating the Radar Rap" is a great resource on exactly how to do this...
If even a few percentage of people charged with these bogus tickets would do this it would kill their "system".

Yep, in a busy court, as soon as the prosecutor see that you may actually mount a defense they tend to just Nolle them.
Why waste their time actually fighting a case when most people don't even fight them..

You should always fight traffic tickets, even if guilty, you can normally plea down to a non moving violation that don't raise your insurance rates.

Knightrider24
04-01-2016, 07:28 AM
The whole story was BS. A news agency in Raleigh ran with the story and every other news agency followed suit. Outside of a few Barney Fifes no one would even be stopped for 1 mph over much less ticketed.

Knightrider24
04-01-2016, 07:28 AM
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/03/24/ticket-56-mph-55-not-likely-nc/82204916/