PDA

View Full Version : NJ: Actor Could Get 10 Years for Using Prop Gun Without Permit

Lucille
03-24-2016, 10:15 AM

Actor Could Get 10 Years for Using Prop Gun Without Permit
'Robert De Niro doesn't ask Marty Scorsese if he has gun permits'
http://www.newser.com/story/222497/actor-could-get-10-years-for-using-prop-gun-without-permit.html

(Newser) – An actor who played a bit part in an independent gangster film is facing 10 years in state prison because he used a prop pellet gun without a state gun permit, the AP reports. Carlo Goias was charged under New Jersey's strict gun law, which requires permits for firearms, including the airsoft gun Goias used while filming a car chase scene. Goias rejected a plea deal offer Tuesday that could have sent him to jail for less than a year. He faces up to a decade behind bars because of prior felony convictions that prosecutors say include theft and burglary. "I was shooting a movie—I wasn't committing a crime intentionally," Goias says. "Robert De Niro doesn't ask Marty Scorsese if he has gun permits. We're actors. That's for the production company to worry about."

When he was arrested, Goias was playing the body guard of a drug dealer in the unfinished film Vendetta Games. The car chase scene was shot in a residential neighborhood, prompting several neighbors to call 911. "I pretended to shoot out the window; they were going to dub in the sound later," Goias says. "We get back, and within a couple of minutes we're surrounded by cop cars." Goias said he spent four days in jail as friends and family raised $10,000 for bail. Goias' defense attorney says his client is innocent based on his intent, which was to act in a movie, not commit a crime. Some state lawmakers say Goias' case highlights the need for New Jersey to change its gun laws.

Anti Federalist
03-24-2016, 10:18 AM
New Jermany

Ronin Truth
03-24-2016, 10:24 AM
What, they couldn't manage to come up with a prop permit? DUH!

asurfaholic
03-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Lol

Brian4Liberty
03-24-2016, 12:43 PM
No law can protect from incompetent Prosecutors.

Dr.3D
03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
What, they couldn't manage to come up with a prop permit? DUH!
I could have made one of those up on my printer. After all, it's only a prop.

Spikender
03-24-2016, 01:05 PM
New Logic in our New World.

New Logic = No Logic

Mach
03-24-2016, 01:33 PM
If enough people raise a ruckus he should be ok, any Judge that sentences him to any prison time should be sent to prison.

Slave Mentality
03-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Permits for BB guns in NJ? The freedom is intoxicating.

presence
03-24-2016, 02:43 PM
shot in a residential neighborhood
[]
I pretended to shoot out the window

I have mixed feelings about this. Brandishing is brandishing and the gun needn't be loaded or even real to give the impression you mean to do harm. Threatening to harm people is an act of aggression. I know if someone was back and forth in front of my home with a weapon, real or not, pointed in the direction of my home, I would take that as a threat to my family and would feel compelled to use force to stop the situation. "Pretending" to point a replica gun at people without warning and with simulated deadly intent; "in such a manner as to cause fear", especially if being liberal with one's backdrop in a residential location seems like pretty sketchy behaviour.

Lets say I witnessed this event, felt like an innocent man was being targeted and his life was threatened.... then I dialed in my 3-9X and took out the perp bolt-action: Now where am I?

If you take the assertion that this was "acting" and just "free speech": Is it not the type of speech which could incite "imminent lawless action" and represent a "clear and present danger"?

does the perp deserve 10 years after the fact? need we ban toy guns? should police be sent out to summarily execute within seconds of stepping onto the scene? no, no, and no. but it does seem some direct restitution to those threatened is in order.

alucard13mm
03-24-2016, 02:47 PM
You need a permit for a BB gun? haha

tod evans
03-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Evisceration seems to be the only logical conclusion......

fisharmor
03-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Dude, where do you get the idea that these prosecutors are incompetent?

It gets really old seeing people here just not get it.

These prosecutors were completely competent.
They were doing their job.
This is their job.

Prosecutors ruin lives. That's what they wake up in the morning for. The number of ruined lives is their career yardstick.

They were the exact polar 180 degree opposite of incompetent.

Lucille
03-24-2016, 04:14 PM
I get what you're saying, presence. But the actor was simply doing what he was told. The production company holds the responsibility here. They should have let the neighborhood know they would be filming that scene and not to be alarmed.

Brian4Liberty
03-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Dude, where do you get the idea that these prosecutors are incompetent?

It gets really old seeing people here just not get it.

These prosecutors were completely competent.
They were doing their job.
This is their job.

Prosecutors ruin lives. That's what they wake up in the morning for. The number of ruined lives is their career yardstick.

They were the exact polar 180 degree opposite of incompetent.

They should not be prosecuting this misapplication of the intent of the law. Thus, the ones prosecuting this are not properly doing the job they are supposed to be doing, i.e. there is incompetence.

ChristianAnarchist
03-24-2016, 05:35 PM

What? You kidding??? Someone could have their eye put out with that thing...

ghengis86
03-24-2016, 07:52 PM

Oh my. What a joke. I loved shooting BB guns with the kids when they were young. Shooting range in the basement. Shooting cans off the deck rails. Shooting targets in the back. If I lived in this shothole of a state, I'd be in the pokey? (I understand this guy had priors, but come on). WTF. This is such a joke. I wonder how many years I would have gotten for the 10/22, 20 ga., and the AR.

presence
03-24-2016, 08:10 PM
I get what you're saying, presence. But the actor was simply doing what he was told. The production company holds the responsibility here. They should have let the neighborhood know they would be filming that scene and not to be alarmed.

I think there would need to be some insight as to the contract between parties. Whether there was indeed a "producer" / "actor" for hire relationship or if it all involved were in it as a team without pay. Details there are a little vague from what I've read. Regardless, if that were the case I think the residents would have a civil suit with the producer; possibly criminal from an "inciting violence" perspective... although none was actually incited, so I lean civil.

My bottom line is don't drive by my house with a rifle, real or not, hanging out your car window like you're looking to do a drive-by shooting in my neighborhood because I'll feel obliged to fire first and ask questions later. And if you made me feel like that and I catch you, at the very least I'm going to expect a cash apology before I let you go.

FindLiberty
03-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Next time, actors should just make a fist, aim and let the editor use CGI to create a post production gun!

[NEVER POINT INDEX FINGER OR SAY BANG because it might cause severe emotional stress to onlookers who don't go to movies.]

In case squids and blood packs are required, always use chroma-key green slime to reduce association with violence.
The red color can be added in post if human blood needs to be simulated.
Of course, alien blood should be colored blue. (IDK why, BUT green alien blood is UNIVERSALLY frowned upon.)

The movie, "Birdemic" made extensive use of coat hangars and GIF-CGI bird and blood effects without scaring anyone!

Danke
03-24-2016, 11:24 PM
I think there would need to be some insight as to the contract between parties. Whether there was indeed a "producer" / "actor" for hire relationship or if it all involved were in it as a team without pay. Details there are a little vague from what I've read. Regardless, if that were the case I think the residents would have a civil suit with the producer; possibly criminal from an "inciting violence" perspective... although none was actually incited, so I lean civil.

My bottom line is don't drive by my house with a rifle, real or not, hanging out your car window like you're looking to do a drive-by shooting in my neighborhood because I'll feel obliged to fire first and ask questions later. And if you made me feel like that and I catch you, at the very least I'm going to expect a cash apology before I let you go.

You should plant IEDs in front of your home. A vehicle can cause a lot of mayhem, more than a gun.

puppetmaster
03-25-2016, 12:35 AM

Actor Could Get 10 Years for Using Prop Gun Without Permit
'Robert De Niro doesn't ask Marty Scorsese if he has gun permits'
http://www.newser.com/story/222497/actor-could-get-10-years-for-using-prop-gun-without-permit.html He should use the artistic exemption