PDA

View Full Version : Detroit mayor announces property taxes will pay for free college for students

Origanalist
03-22-2016, 11:13 PM
by WARNER TODD HUSTON22 Mar 2016

Detroit’s Democrat mayor, Mike Duggan, announced that all Detroit students who graduate from a city high school will receive two free years of college tuition at a community college, eventually to be paid for out of the city’s property taxes.

Following a state law allowing it, Detroit has formally launched its “Detroit Promise” program for the tuition.

“We are making a promise to every single child who graduates from a high school in the City of Detroit that you will have your first two years of college paid for,” Duggan told the media. “We’re going to build from here to the point where we’re ultimately going to raise money so it can be four years, but today it’s two years.”

The city council built the program as an expansion of the Detroit Scholarship Fund, which has already aided 1,500 Detroit students to attend college.

Following state rules, the first two years the new program is in existence will be paid for by donations from local foundations and corporations. Three foundations have already donated $3 million to the program.

But beginning in 2018, the program will be funded by a hike in property taxes.

continued...http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/22/detroit-mayor-announces-property-taxes-will-pay-for-free-college-tuition-for-city-students/

specsaregood
03-22-2016, 11:18 PM
//

oyarde
03-22-2016, 11:23 PM
What a bullshit scam to raise property tax on worthless property .

RonPaulIsGreat
03-22-2016, 11:45 PM
I am the guy across towns kid's keeper, apparently.

Don't worry about it, just have kids, I can eat worms, never mind me.. your kid means so much to me, and since you birthed it, it's only fair everyone else should support it. Naw this massive gaping wound on my side that is infected, tis but a scratch, I would go to the doctor, but had to pay the property tax bill, and all the other taxes can't afford it, with the 5000 dollar deductible and all, but you go on now, send that beautiful child of yours to college for cosmetology. It's not like there aren't 10 beauty salons, already around here, I'm sure an 11th will do great. If you see me dead, please, just throw me in the trash can, I wouldn't want to waste the money I earned on my funeral, best to leave it to the state, so they can help the children.

TheTexan
03-22-2016, 11:53 PM
Is community college really college though

TheTexan
03-22-2016, 11:55 PM
I am the guy across towns kid's keeper, apparently.

Don't worry about it, just have kids, I can eat worms, never mind me.. your kid means so much to me, and since you birthed it, it's only fair everyone else should support it. Naw this massive gaping wound on my side that is infected, tis but a scratch, I would go to the doctor, but had to pay the property tax bill, and all the other taxes can't afford it, with the 5000 dollar deductible and all, but you go on now, send that beautiful child of yours to college for cosmetology. It's not like there aren't 10 beauty salons, already around here, I'm sure an 11th will do great. If you see me dead, please, just throw me in the trash can, I wouldn't want to waste the money I earned on my funeral, best to leave it to the state, so they can help the children.

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/b2/b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821d b02098b3551f8f.jpg

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-23-2016, 12:22 AM
But Detroit is making a comeback. It said so on the tee vee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXdsvgpwc8

luctor-et-emergo
03-23-2016, 04:39 AM
We pretty much have free college around here. It's very very cheap.

What happens ? Everyone goes to college/university, straight out of high-school.

Then in the end you've got a whole lot of highly educated unemployed people.

tod evans
03-23-2016, 04:48 AM
We pretty much have free college around here. It's very very cheap.

What happens ? Everyone goes to college/university, straight out of high-school.

Then in the end you've got a whole lot of highly educated unemployed people.

All the book learnin' in the world isn't going to teach one to work.........

Ronin Truth
03-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Welcome to the future ghost town of Detroit! :p :rolleyes:

DamianTV
03-23-2016, 06:10 AM
Is community college really college though

Is Real Butter(r) (registered trademark symbol that I cant type out even with ascii) that isnt actually made out of butter actually real Butter?

... and isnt Detroit the city itself Bankrupt? How did they go bankrupt to begin with?

Zippyjuan
03-23-2016, 01:12 PM
http://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2016/03/22/duggan-backs-bills-dps-plans-education-initiative/82115622/

HOW IT WORKS

To be eligible for the Detroit Promise’s two years of tuition-free community college, students must live in Detroit and attend a high school inside the city — public, charter or private.

There is no grade point average requirement, but students must be accepted at Wayne County Community College District, Henry Ford Community College, Schoolcraft College, Oakland Community College or Macomb Community College.

Students must live in Detroit and have spent their junior and senior years at a high school in the city.

The scholarship covers what grants and other financial aid doesn’t. Students in the program must maintain the satisfactory academic progress required by the schools and Pell grants.

Students may apply for the program at www.DetroitScholarshipFund.com. Students must register and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by June 30.

That effort is being expanded as a guarantee, with the first two years of the program funded by major foundations and corporate donors. Peter Remington, a philanthropy consultant who’s raising funds for the Detroit Promise, said three major foundations have already pledged $1 million each, two as matching grants. He said only one can be publicly identified now: The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation.

Under state rules, the first two years of promise zones must be funded through philanthropy. Beginning in 2018, the Detroit Promise will be funded by increases in property tax revenue based on the 6 mills of the State Education Tax; the program will capture half of any increase in property tax revenue from the SET, officials said.

Based on projections, Duggan said the SET is expected to raise $4 million a year by 2025.

angelatc
03-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Detroit property taxes are already insane. When we moved to Michigan, we saw that houses were so cheap in Detroit that we could pay cash for a foreclosure in an upscale neighborood and then send the kids to private schools. Then we saw that the property taxes would be 30k a year.

Kotin
03-23-2016, 01:21 PM
parasites.

Ronin Truth
03-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Is Real Butter(r) (registered trademark symbol that I cant type out even with ascii) that isnt actually made out of butter actually real Butter?

... and isnt Detroit the city itself Bankrupt? How did they go bankrupt to begin with? Democrats in control, for a looooong time. :p :mad:

You can begin to pick up the pattern of the cities in the crapper.

Zippyjuan
03-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Detroit property taxes are already insane. When we moved to Michigan, we saw that houses were so cheap in Detroit that we could pay cash for a foreclosure in an upscale neighborood and then send the kids to private schools. Then we saw that the property taxes would be 30k a year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-11/detroit-comeback-derailed-as-taxes-kill-homeowner-dreams

Of the 50 largest U.S. cities, Detroit has the highest property-tax burden for a $150,000 home, at $4,988 on average in 2013, according to a study by the Minnesota Center for Fiscal Excellence. The taxes in New York for a house with the same value was $1,087.

Detroit’s tax base was flattened by the housing crash, which led immediately to a wave of mortgage foreclosures. The city’s median home value in December was $40,700, down from a peak of $78,800 in 2005, according to Zillow Group Inc. In the metropolitan area, which includes the wealthier suburbs, it was $115,700, up 9.8 percent from December 2013.