PDA

View Full Version : Amash Grills EPA on Flint Water

presence
03-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Congressional committee grills Gov. Snyder, EPA Administrator on Flint water crisis
Lawmakers Slam Michigan Governor for Role in Flint Water Crisis Watch Michigan Governor Rick Snyder Get Skewered During His Flint Water Crisis Testimony
Ramiro Robbins | 22 March, 2016, 13:33

Snyder and McCarthy appeared at a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, where members were unified in their disgust that the poisoning of Flint's water supply was allowed to occur, while splitting on who deserved the most blame. "And the shareholders would revolt", Cummings said.

Lawsuits against the state and the governor allege violations of the Safe Drinking Water Act, a federal law which protects the public drinking water supply.

While Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein was not at the hearing, she said Snyder and EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy should "be removed from office and face any appropriate charges for overseeing this health disaster".

Michigan Rep. Justin Amash asked McCarthy directly if she would have fired Hedman had she not resigned. But it's something different to have this continuing dialogue, to say it was exclusively us.

The water systems, which revealed lead levels exceeding Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards, collectively supply water to some 6 million people, the report found.

► "It look like everyone knew about this problem but you. That's cheap", Rep. Jason Chaffetz said.

"Not at that time", McCarthy replied.

Snyder took issue with the committee's framing of some events.

At the contentious congressional hearing, the governor repeatedly apologized for his role in the crisis.

Snyder said. That's when Congressman Matt Cartwright (D-Pennsylvania) jumped in and interrupted.

In response to the crisis, the state has approved $67 million in emergency spending, with a request for $165 million more, Snyder said.

Several members echoed enraged Flint residents in saying apologies are not enough. The email questioned whether "Flint is the community we want to go out on a limb for". "Seven months", said Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Virginia.

"I don't recall any mention of that to me and I don't recall being part of any of those emails or any of those discussions", Snyder said he "didn't recall" his top legal advisor raising concerns. You were missing in action. "But it's a little bit late now for the kids in Flint".

Sitting next to him at the witness table will be Gina McCarthy, the administrator of the E.P.A., who will be placing blame for Flint's lead contamination squarely on Mr. Snyder's administration. "You too should stand down".

"Not one. Not one", Connolly said. In January 2015, Dayne Walling, the then mayor of Flint, wrote to Snyder pleading for him to fix the problem and in March 2015 to one of the governor's advisers warning of a "significant uptick" in cases of legionnaires' disease in Flint.

'Why do we even need an EPA?'
His testimony provoked occasional outbursts from Flint residents, many wearing "Flint lives matter" T-shirts, who staged a protest before the Capitol Hill hearing. "Governor, don't you have a moral responsibility to resign?" "Again, I appreciate the fact there are multiple investigations going on".

Some officials, including Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, have called on Snyder to resign.

"That's why I am so committed to delivering permanent, long-term solutions and the clean, safe drinking water that every MI citizen deserves", he said.

"The EPA worked very hard", McCarthy responded.

The EPA, however, was "just the opposite of that", Howes tells us. "You still don't get it".http://examinergazette.com/2016/03/22/congressional-committee-grills-gov-snyder-epa-administrator.html

Ronin Truth
03-22-2016, 08:59 AM
I prefer deep-fried.