PDA

View Full Version : V For Vendetta, what a great movie!

qwerty
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Huh, i just watched it!

:cool:

Falseflagop
12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Dude you just watched it? GREAT GREAT MOVIE!! Amazing how it depicts the real world!

Also watch SHOOTER awesome movie and will make you understand how corrupt most Congress people/Pres are!

Danny Molina
12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Never heard of it...

V4Vendetta
12-07-2007, 02:00 PM
The Shooter shows a member of the "Special Forces" going around killing corrupt people in congress.... as the only way to protect America.... it even hints around about 9/11 being nothing but lies

qwerty
12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I live in Europe and it just came from TV... :D

Falseflagop
12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Shooter was awesome because he is telling you the system is like an onion once you peel away one layer of the skin the crooks have another protection (DIEBOLD machines and the like) etc etc.

Isupportliberty
12-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Don't forget to donate on November 5th!

IRO-bot
12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Equilibrium is also and equally kick butt movie.

qwerty
12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I really it´s one of best movies i have ever seen

fortilite
12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Never understood the appeal.

Truth Warrior
12-07-2007, 02:36 PM
One of my favorite flicks ( except for the violence )!

"And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there?" -- V

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -- V

Ron claims to not having seen it yet. Let's send him a DVD copy.:)

qwerty
12-07-2007, 02:37 PM
"ideology is bulletproof" V

Truth Warrior
12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
"ideology is bulletproof" V

Uhhh.... as I recall, the quote was "Ideas are bulletproof". :)

qwerty
12-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Uhhh.... as I recall, the quote was "Ideas are bulletproof". :)

:)

mosquitobite
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, George W Bush. ;) He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

Truth Warrior
12-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Highly recommended: Butler Shaffer's review of 'V for Vendetta'.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer132.html

Perry
12-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Is there anyone older than 30 who thinks this is a great movie? I am very skeptical. The trailer looks rather silly.

qwerty
12-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Is there anyone older than 30 who thinks this is a great movie? I am very skeptical. The trailer looks rather silly.

?????

ProfNo
12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
One of the best movies....

EVER

BillyDkid
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Is there anyone older than 30 who thinks this is a great movie? I am very skeptical. The trailer looks rather silly.I'm 53. It's a great movie.

Truth Warrior
12-07-2007, 04:19 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it a "great" movie, as movies go. But it certainly did speak to me as most movies do not.

BTW, I'm 61.

Visual
12-07-2007, 04:20 PM

It's actually highly ideologically based once you get beyond the action story veneer.

You can watch it on replay for an entire day and it never gets old. (sorta like jesus christ superstar :))

lastnymleft
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, George W Bush. ;) He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

It'd be good if we could get the Wachowski brothers to endorse Dr Paul. They have not made any political donations to any candidate, to the end of third quarter, but they are clearly political. They have quite a following, so I'm sure such an endorsement would be useful.

They ought to; I'm sure they've got a financial kick from the V for Vendetta association with thisNovember5th.

Heck, just imagine if they were to get REALLY active, and write/direct a campaign ad, or more!

quickmike
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Im 37 and I thought it was a great movie. Im not into comic books and stuff of that nature, so I thought it might be goofy too. After I watched it though, I saw alot of subtle hints in relation to our own political system.

If anything, it makes you think.

CCTelander
12-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Highly recommended: Butler Shaffer's review of 'V for Vendetta'.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer132.html

Almost anything by Butler Shaffer is worth a read IMO.

CCTelander
12-07-2007, 08:49 PM

My Dad is 70. It's one of his favorite movies of all time.

FreeTraveler
12-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Yep, I'm 55 and really enjoyed it. I have the DVD and it's on my list to watch again.

user
12-07-2007, 08:53 PM
It'd be good if we could get the Wachowski brothers to endorse Dr Paul. They have not made any political donations to any candidate, to the end of third quarter, but they are clearly political. They have quite a following, so I'm sure such an endorsement would be useful.

They ought to; I'm sure they've got a financial kick from the V for Vendetta association with thisNovember5th.

Heck, just imagine if they were to get REALLY active, and write/direct a campaign ad, or more!
Now that you mention it, why didn't the media ask them what they thought about Nov. 5th? I guess they were too busy misinterpreting the Guy Fawkes connection...

xd9fan
12-07-2007, 09:08 PM

older than 30
Movie kicked A$$, I own it.

"He was Edmund Dantès. And he was my father. And my mother. My brother. My friend. He was you, and me. He was all of us."

"How beautiful, is it not?"
:D:cool:

rancher89
12-07-2007, 09:11 PM
53, loved it, great insight to how people allow government to control them and what it takes to regain freedom.

Anybody see 300? I didn't think I'd like it, and it was a little uneven, but all in all I got into it. The story of 300 Spartans holding off a massive army until betrayed.........sniff, sniff

quickmike
12-07-2007, 10:04 PM
53, loved it, great insight to how people allow government to control them and what it takes to regain freedom.

Anybody see 300? I didn't think I'd like it, and it was a little uneven, but all in all I got into it. The story of 300 Spartans holding off a massive army until betrayed.........sniff, sniff

Awesome movie. Yeah, kinda sad how they got bamboozled, but in the end they paved the way for a win.

http://www.frostfox.com/blogpics/300-1.jpg

libertyguy
12-07-2007, 11:55 PM

Yes, my wife and I are in our 40's and loved the movie. She liked it so much that I gave her a collector copy for her birthday and it was her favorite gift!! If you have not seen it, you need to watch the movie!

DamianTV
12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Remember, remember the 5th of November. Guy Fawkes Day in UK... Hey, wasnt that the day Dr. Paul broke all the records for most campaign contributions ever? Fine line between coincidence and intervention...

First post. Hello all.

idirtify
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Bump

I just watched V for Vendetta for the first time and thought it was great.

I tried to review the 10 or so other threads that come up in a search. Both the movie and the threads are interesting, but what didn’t seem to get addressed in the course of the debates was whether V was really a “terrorist”. In the DVD’s extra-info section, one of the movie’s own developers even called V a terrorist. But I disagree. I think the main evidence that he was not lies in the quote about who should fear who regarding the government and the people. V was certainly intent on making the government fear the people; but is one who endeavors such an undertaking actually a terrorist? I don’t think so. If the people agree that the government SHOULD fear the people, then a person who sets out to make the government fear the people can not be called a terrorist. Besides, V didn’t harm any innocent people; I believe all of his “violence” was either in self-defense or justice for his torturers. While I acknowledge that the term “terrorism” is heavily laden with politics and emotion and we may never agree on its meaning, I believe these issues are even more relevant now with all the recent evidence of government torture and the continued government rhetoric on “terrorism”.

I think the movie was so good because of its ability to merge fantasy with a far greater credibility. Of course comic-book heroes can only be so credible, but the identities of the good guys and bad guys in this movie were so much more believable. For the intelligent movie-lover, the typical problem is with suspension-of-disbelief. If a story is not credible enough, it destroys that suspension. Well what could be a more credible bad guy to an educated viewer than a “monster federal government”? Nothing IMO. The core plot having the hero fight corrupt government was far more credible than plots where the hero fights far lesser villains. This movie’s main character makes all the other comic-book heroes look truly comical. How often have we seen writers perpetuate perverted party lines in their stereotypical villains and heroes? It’s a wonder we are not all insane with Hollywood incessantly bombarding us with storylines about hero cops and villain drug dealers.

dannno
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
What I think is amazing is that most people don't understand about the movie is that what happened at the hospital was a false flag attack carried out by the government. The movie makes a lot more sense after you realize that.

Reason
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Huh, i just watched it!

:cool:

amazing movie

silverhawks
06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
V for Vendetta the movie is one of my all time favorites, in the same way that both Firefly, Jericho and Babylon 5 are three of my all time favorite series, and for the same reason. They all carry the same message.

literatim
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I didn't really like it. There are far better dystopian movies and novels out there.

Dr.3D
06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm 53. It's a great movie.

I'm 62 and I thought V was a very good movie.

idirtify
06-09-2009, 07:19 PM
I didn't really like it. There are far better dystopian movies and novels out there.

we're all ears. please elaborate.

VIDEODROME
06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Brazil

emazur
12-25-2010, 02:20 PM
I know I'm behind the times, but I just saw it for the first time and loved it and would recommend anyone else who hasn't seen it yet to give it a watch. This excerpt from the lewrockwell.com review is spot on:

Not only is this the most powerful anti-state film I have ever seen — one that makes no compromises with the system — but is, purely from a film-making perspective, one of the best movies I have seen in some time. Had the subject matter of this film been anti-vivisectionism, the depletion of the rainforests, or the sorrows of divorcées, its acting, writing, direction, and other production features would have made watching it an enjoyable experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLD3Z6sJWA

Pericles
12-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I really liked it. And I'm over 40 by several years.

Wesker1982
12-25-2010, 02:29 PM
The Matrix is pretty good too if you missed it :cool:

emazur
12-25-2010, 02:36 PM
The Matrix is pretty good too if you missed it :cool:

I actually saw that in the theaters when it was released. I was living outside the US for a few years in the 2000s and never noticed some things that became popular during that time like V or Rachel Ray

Sentient Void
12-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Love V for Vendetta. Great movie.

Another relevant great movie to check out would be 'Eagle Eye'. I was surprisingly impressed by how much I liked this movie. There were lots of great scenes, but the one you where you find out who the 'bad guy' is, I was just like 'Hahah - fucking BOOYA!'.

Haha - also, I have to admit, I was *absolutely* rooting for the 'bad guy' in Eagle Eye.

Sentient Void
12-25-2010, 03:19 PM

I personally thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in general, and definitely one of the better political / antigovernment / dystopian flicks.

What are some you'd recommend you thought were better?

emazur
12-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Another relevant great movie to check out would be 'Eagle Eye'.

Agreed

Anti Federalist
12-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I personally thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in general, and definitely one of the better political / antigovernment / dystopian flicks.

What are some you'd recommend you thought were better?

Agreed.

Both with V for Vendetta and The Matrix, the Wachowski brothers hit home runs.

farrar
12-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Is the comic better than the movie you all think? it normally is.

Watchmen the comic is better, though I like how they staged the destruction of new york and moscow in the movie.

For those who don't know, watchmen and v for vendetta were both originally comic books written by alan moore.

I find watchmen rather interesting because it has an anti-objectivist tinge yet so many objectivists cling to it. Alan moore refers to it as a backwards nazi esque ideologue. Still he admits that in many ways roaschache was the hero of the tale, and perhaps thats why we libertarian types learn to love it anyways.

I like watchmen because it is a literary example many libertarians like which shows the results of utilitarianism,(somthing I despise and preach about until peoples ears bleed). I can usually get a few watchmen fans to come to my side on the issue if we discuss it. :)

And V for vendetta is one of the few movies I have watched more than once.

emazur
12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I haven't read the comic but after watching the movie I went to amazon to see the reviews. I was surprised it only averaged 4 stars and I wanted to see what the negative complaints were. The complainers were saying the movie was true to the image of the comic but not the substance (not enough shades of gray, this is good vs. evil totalitarianism), and the other complainers were either conservatives who thought the movie wasn't "patriotic", or people just upset that they felt the movie was pushing a political agenda

Eric21ND
12-25-2010, 10:04 PM
You should read the graphic novel.

WilliamShrugged
12-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Love the movie. That, Brave heart ,and 300 are some of my favs

Legend1104
12-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Good movie. One of my favorite movie speeches.

BamaAla
12-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Is the comic better than the movie you all think? it normally is.

Watchmen the comic is better, though I like how they staged the destruction of new york and moscow in the movie.

For those who don't know, watchmen and v for vendetta were both originally comic books written by alan moore.

I find watchmen rather interesting because it has an anti-objectivist tinge yet so many objectivists cling to it. Alan moore refers to it as a backwards nazi esque ideologue. Still he admits that in many ways roaschache was the hero of the tale, and perhaps thats why we libertarian types learn to love it anyways.

I like watchmen because it is a literary example many libertarians like which shows the results of utilitarianism,(somthing I despise and preach about until peoples ears bleed). I can usually get a few watchmen fans to come to my side on the issue if we discuss it. :)

And V for vendetta is one of the few movies I have watched more than once.

Graphic novels butthole:p

I enjoyed V, but I am well short of proclaiming it as the best movie of all time as some of the previous posters have. I would, however, be willing to say that is one of the better graphic novel to film adaptations; although, I would put it well behind Watchmen, 300, and A History of Violence and more on parity with Road to Perdition and Sin City. That's, of course, my opinion, and those are like the aforementioned buttholes:)

Merry Christmas folks!

WarDog
12-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Please visit www.vigilantcitizen.com V is not anything you might think until we learn there Religion we cant defeat them

Eric21ND
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Love the movie. That, Brave heart ,and 300 are some of my favs

What about Shawshank Redemption?

Freedom 4 all
12-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I honestly can't decide which I like more between V for Vendetta and Shooter, both were amazing.

Zatch
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
They should have got an actual British actress to play Natalie Portman's role. Her fake accent was horrible.