PDA

View Full Version : Jones Defends Religious Liberty Against Obamacare Mandate

jct74
03-19-2016, 02:23 PM
JONES DEFENDS RELIGIOUS LIBERTY AGAINST OBAMACARE MANDATE

Mar 17, 2016

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Jones submitted a statement for the congressional record in anticipation of oral arguments being made in the Supreme Court next week in the case Zubik v. Burwell. The Supreme Court will decide whether the Little Sisters of the Poor, a group of Catholic nuns, must violate the tenants of their Catholic faith and comply with Obamacare’s Health and Human Services mandate requiring the Little Sisters to provide contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients to their employees. See Congressman Jones’ statement below:

“Mr. Speaker, I speak today in defense of the Little Sisters of the Poor in their stand for religious liberty in America. Next week, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in the case between the Little Sisters of the Poor and the federal government. The Little Sisters’ ministry is to care for the elderly poor all over the world. The Little Sisters here in the United States run a non-profit to take care of America’s elderly poor. They are now fighting the federal government in order to be able to preserve their ministry.

The federal government’s argument is this: The Little Sisters of the Poor must violate the tenets of their Catholic faith and authorize their third-party health care administrators to provide contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients to recipients of their health insurance. Never mind that the government has granted complete exemptions of this mandate to massive, secular companies such as Exxon and Pepsi. The government would rather force the Little Sisters of the Poor to reject their sincere and righteous religious beliefs than grant them a full exemption like larger, secular companies have received. The government would rather force the Little Sisters out into the streets when they can’t pay Obamacare’s oppressive fines for not complying with this unjust mandate than grant them an exemption. It’s morally disgusting, and it’s insulting to any lover of freedom.

I urge my colleagues to pray with me that the Supreme Court upholds religious freedom in America and sides with the Little Sisters of the Poor.”

http://jones.house.gov/press-release/jones-defends-religious-liberty-against-obamacare-mandate