PDA

View Full Version : Gov't Accidentally Publishes Target of Lavabit Probe: It's Snowden!

DamianTV
03-18-2016, 04:51 PM
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/03/18/1316243/govt-accidentally-publishes-target-of-lavabit-probe-its-snowden

In the summer of 2013, secure e-mail service Lavabit was ordered by a federal judge to provide real-time e-mail monitoring of one of its users. Rather than comply with the order, Levison shut down his entire company. He said what the government was seeking would have endangered the privacy of all of his 410,000 users. Now, what was widely assumed has been confirmed. In documents posted to the federal PACER database this month, the government accidentally left his e-mail, 'Ed_snowden@lavabit.com,' unredacted for all to see.

Do any of you remember Lavabit? They chose to shut down rather than compromise their agreement with their customers?

groverblue
03-18-2016, 04:53 PM
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/03/18/1316243/govt-accidentally-publishes-target-of-lavabit-probe-its-snowden

Do any of you remember Lavabit? They chose to shut down rather than compromise their agreement with their customers?

I remember.

ghengis86
03-18-2016, 05:23 PM
That was heroic. Bad for business (lol!) but I guess some people still have a spine and won't compromise their beliefs, even in this day and age.

Now, if a court ordered Apple to pony up, would Tim Cook shut it down? Thought so.

phill4paul
03-18-2016, 05:29 PM
That was heroic. Bad for business (lol!) but I guess some people still have a spine and won't compromise their beliefs, even in this day and age.

Now, if a court ordered Apple to pony up, would Tim Cook shut it down? Thought so.

That was exactly my thought.

timosman
03-18-2016, 05:31 PM

I wish it was this simple. Snowden story looks more like two factions of the government battling each other.