PDA

View Full Version : 'Chilling Effect' of Mass Surveillance Is Silencing Dissent Online, Study Says

DamianTV
03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
https://politics.slashdot.org/story/16/03/17/1927244/chilling-effect-of-mass-surveillance-is-silencing-dissent-online-study-says

Research suggests that widespread awareness of mass surveillance could undermine democracy by making citizens fearful of voicing dissenting opinions in public. A paper published in Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, the flagship peer-reviewed journal of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), found that "the government's online surveillance programs may threaten the disclosure of minority views and contribute to the reinforcement of majority opinion." The NSA's "ability to surreptitiously monitor the online activities of U.S. citizens may make online opinion climates especially chilly" and "can contribute to the silencing of minority views that provide the bedrock of democratic discourse," the researcher found.

UWDude
03-17-2016, 11:58 PM
well duh, that was the point of it.

that's the point of the Big Brother is watching posters.

Rad
03-18-2016, 12:58 AM
If they look at what we post then I hope they are enriched by our views on liberty.

Danke
03-18-2016, 01:08 AM
Nvm

DamianTV
03-18-2016, 03:21 AM
If they look at what we post then I hope they are enriched by our views on liberty.

I would like to hope so too, but I think they see Liberty as the enemy of Profit and Control, which they desire far more.

JK/SEA
03-18-2016, 08:34 AM
resistance is futile....you will be absorbed.

Lucille
03-18-2016, 09:16 AM
http://www.activistpost.com/2013/07/snowdens-dad-schools-obama-pelosi-and.html

The Fourth Amendment states: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

These, I protest, are not mere second-class rights but belong in the catalog of indispensable freedoms. Among deprivations of rights, none is so effective in cowing a population, crushing the spirit of the individual and putting terror in every heart. Uncontrolled search and seizure is one of the first and most effective weapons in the arsenal of every arbitrary government. And one need only briefly to have dwelt and worked among a people possessed of many admirable qualities but deprived of these rights to know that the human personality deteriorates and dignity and self-reliance disappear where homes, persons and possessions are subject at any hour to unheralded search and seizure by the police.

The US govt drove the great Ernest Hemingway to suicide with this shit.

“It’s the worst hell. The goddamnedest hell. They’ve bugged everything (http://www.jrdeputyaccountant.com/2011/07/tlp-even-if-you-are-paranoid-they-could.html)."
[...]
In the years since, I have tried to reconcile Ernest’s fear of the F.B.I., which I regretfully misjudged, with the reality of the F.B.I. file. I now believe he truly sensed the surveillance, and that it substantially contributed to his anguish and his suicide.

UWDude
03-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I would like to hope so too, but I think they see Liberty as the enemy of Profit and Control, which they desire far more.

Except a lot of the watching/filtering agents have no control, and make not much profit from their jobs. Most of them are military enlisted.