PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Senate Revives, Passes Bill to Abolish Marriage Licensing

BarryDonegan
03-17-2016, 03:28 PM
http://truthinmedia.com/alabama-senate-passes-bill-end-marriage-license/

In a state still struggling with tensions over same-sex marriage, the bill would remove the requirement that couples request permission to marry from probate offices and would allow them to certify their marriages on their own instead.

Chomp
03-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Sad bill. Let's all fornicate as here no tomorrows.

Origanalist
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
According to ABC News, bill opponent Rep. Patricia Todd (D-Birmingham), Alabama’s only openly-gay legislator, said the bill is unnecessary and that probate judges need to “do their job.”

So she's mad that same sex people can marry but someone isn't forced to do it as part of their job. Spiteful woman.

brushfire
03-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Well, getting rid of marriage licenses, in and of itself, is just awesome. Who the hell is the government to tell me who I can and cant marry, and why must I pay them a fee for their blessing?

Ender
03-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Well, getting rid of marriage licenses, in and of itself, is just awesome. Who the hell is the government to tell me who I can and cant marry, and why must I pay them a fee for their blessing?

Exactly.

Government has no place in marriage; it's purpose was to stop interracial marriage.

CaptainAmerica
03-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Its about damned time.

brushfire
03-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Exactly.

Government has no place in marriage; it's purpose was to stop interracial marriage.

Yes, you are absotively correct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRF159N8_pY

The Free Hornet
03-17-2016, 08:17 PM

As an atheist, I've read damn near this entire page:

http://www.net-burst.net/singles/premarital.htm

public marital commitment

I believe marriage - by that interpretation - is intended to serve your community, not serve your government.

The opposition to this bill is curious because it would seem to enable gay marriage seemlessly. File your own marriage contract ... done!

It's as if the opposition is saying, 'getting 100% valid state/federal marriage licenses is not enough, we want your affirmative permission and implicit lifestyle approval'.

It's very curious indeed.

erowe1
03-17-2016, 08:19 PM
It's as if the opposition is saying, 'getting 100% valid state/federal marriage licenses is not enough, we want your affirmative permission and implicit lifestyle approval'.

That has always been their point.

Danke
03-17-2016, 08:21 PM

Wut?

erowe1
03-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately, it's only after gay marriage is legalized nationwide that enough Christians start seeing the sense in getting rid of government marriage licenses for it to pass.

Had they realized this a few years ago, they could have passed it without opposition from the pro-gay marriage folks, because both sides would have benefitted.

erowe1
03-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Wut?

Don't get too excited. I think they were being sarcastic.

TheTexan
03-17-2016, 08:27 PM
If the government doesn't provide licenses for it, how would God know that you are married?

otherone
03-17-2016, 08:51 PM
If the government doesn't provide licenses for it, how would God know that you are married?

You mean the federal government?

Voluntarist
03-17-2016, 08:52 PM
xxxxx

euphemia
03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
I just want to stir the pot: Does marriage have anything to do with fast tracking immigration? Let's just pretend I'm single and there is some cute guy down in Brazil who wants to move to the US. If I live in Alabama, do I have the freedom to say I'm married to that guy and he can come here without any other process?

Voluntarist
03-17-2016, 09:13 PM
xxxxx