PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl commercial, yes I am dreaming :)

kevinblack
12-07-2007, 01:15 PM
The blimp is flying, suddenly nothing sounds crazy any more. then you see a title like "Superbowl commercial" and laugh.

I am the first to admit that this is too big for me. My facts could be completelly bad (please check them) and this could be dead on arrival.

It is too big for us as we are and just a pipe dream. BUT it may not be too big come December 16. What if we get 100k donors on the 16th? A superbowl commercial is not out of the question!

Hear me out:
Superbowl commercial cost 2.6Million air time + Ad cost = 3Million
That is 25$ from 120k donors.
this is information is based on: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/30/AR2007013001534.html

Superbowl date = February 3, 2008. FEBRUARY freaking 3rd does that ring a bell?

February 5th is THE DAY. Giga Tuesday when the GOP Primary candidate is elected. Every primary to that date is just ADVERTISING for this day.

"In the Spring of 2007, upwards of 20 states with over half the delegates to the national conventions moved to change their primary dates to 5 February 2008, creating the largest "Super Tuesday" to date. Newswriters and political pundits have noted that this will dwarf the Super Tuesday primaries in previous cycles, creating a "Giga Tuesday" or "Super Duper Tuesday."

Does anybody have information on dates? I could not find anything even approximating by what date did you have to finalize buying a superbowl add. It may well be that this is already not possible.

mavtek
12-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I think we could get a Superbowl commercial super donation day going for sometime in January. We could come up with $2.6 easy to cover it as far as production cost we already have some very good commercials to run with. I'd say 1 of the 3 from the New York would be fine.

JordanL
12-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I think we could get a Superbowl commercial super donation day going for sometime in January. We could come up with $2.6 easy to cover it as far as production cost we already have some very good commercials to run with. I'd say 1 of the 3 from the New York would be fine.

I'd say one of the one's by Frank on YouTube.

And yes, I completely support the Super Bowl idea... I think it's the only way we could possibly one up ourselves from the Blimp.

But it would have to be FUNNY. That's what Super Bowl commercials are about.

NinjaPirate
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I'd say one of the one's by Frank on YouTube.

And yes, I completely support the Super Bowl idea... I think it's the only way we could possibly one up ourselves from the Blimp.

I don't see this getting off the ground, but the grassroots has fortunately proven me wrong time and time again.

But it would have to be FUNNY. That's what Super Bowl commercials are about.

My thoughts exactly.

angrydragon
The grassroots has the commercials, the campaign should just pay for the ad time if they're going to do it.

Mark Rushmore
Assuming after the 16th we are calling it quits with the moneybombs - the idea of having one day where we challenge ourselves to raise the superbowl ad money in 24 hours seems preferable to just setting up a donation fund and hoping to get to 3 mil. But it's going to have to be such an amazing 30 seconds that anyone who views the sample just knows "this must happen." That and unbelievable accountability and transparency since that's an absurd amount of money.

BLS
It would have to be a REAL heart tugger, with some humor, and only 30 secs long.
Can be done....

And I think if Ron Paul were to run an AD during the SB, it would reach SO MANY people it's not even funny.

NinjaPirate
12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
The grassroots has the commercials, the campaign should just pay for the ad time if they're going to do it.

I don't think that's a good idea. It's insanely expensive to air a Superbowl ad!

Energy
12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Realized goals all start with an idea. Dream far and big. The founders dared to dream of independence, and for that we have the 4th of July. If dollars is the ONLY obstacle, what's stopping us?

coboman
12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
The idea is great. Let's make it official. We can ask for pledges (right now, of people that have maxed out, or that will have more money AFTER the teaParty), and let's do it.

I think that there are no commercials that are SuperBowl quality right now. Besides, the charm of a great superBowl ad is that it is something that nobody has ever seen.

If we're going to spend 2+ million dollars airing it, we should spend 500k doing it right.

shepburn
12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I think this is an amazing idea!

I think we should do this!

Mark Rushmore
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't know if it has any chance of happening - but I do know that if it does happen - it has every chance of affecting the election. The way these ads get talked about - and with the extra hype of it having been paid by grassroots support -

NO ONE WOULD NOT KNOW THE NAME RON PAUL

We might still lose, but we wouldn't have that excuse.

sgrooms
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
i don't know if 3million is worth it for a presidential primary commercial?

how many people who have not heard about ron paul, will see the commercial, get involved, and go to the primaries and vote two days later?

for 3 million dollars, we could get a TON of stuff done. mailings, phone calls, billboards EVERYWHERE, commercials.

but hey, just my two cents.

mavtek
12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I know this might sound insane, but what if the Blimp company did from funding from the grassroots? No funds from the campaign at all?

I mean could you imagine a grassroots doing a superbowl commercial?

maxmerkel
12-07-2007, 01:30 PM
impossible, the superbowl ad slots are most likely already sold out.

TechnoGuyRob
12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I just looked up the number of viewers and I was expecting a dozen million or so but

HOLY CRAP!!! THE SUPERBOWL HAS 150 MILLION VIEWERS!!! WE MUST DO THIS!!!

Maximilian American
12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree let give this a legitimate chance. I'll start with a $25 contribution as soon as a plan is set.

TechnoGuyRob

Remember how the USA Today accommodated Lepard's ad because it was grassroots?

Guess what I'm thinking? :D

EDIT: Remember, RonPaulBlimp.com is headed by Liberty Political Advertising LLC. There's no reason why the company can't collect the funds for the SuperBowl ad.

maxmerkel

impossible, the superbowl ad slots are most likely already sold out ;)

but we could still ask if one left :D

bulloncoins
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Didn't they very recently Reject a political ad and said they will not run one for anyone? I thought I heard that in the news. (Even though they had been offered millions of dollars.)

Or am I dreaming this too?

fuzzybekool
12-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I thought the MSM doesn't allow political ads during the superbowl ?

TechnoGuyRob
12-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Didn't they very recently Reject a political ad and said they will not run one for anyone? I thought I heard that in the news. (Even though they had been offered millions of dollars.)

Or am I dreaming this too?

Grassroots Exception. :D

MrOblivious
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Someone should sticky this. This would be a great idea... If someone could get it off the ground.

KewlRonduderules
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
impossible, the superbowl ad slots are most likely already sold out ;)

but we could still ask if one left :D

Yup.

JordanL
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Someone should sticky this. This would be a great idea... If someone could get it off the ground.

If someone grabs a domain, I'll get the website up. I'm completely out of fund at all... I owe my bank $250 and need to pay tuition and I'm unemployed... so i can't buy the domain.

Unless someone wants to paypal me the money? :P

JMann
12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
I just looked up the number of viewers and I was expecting a dozen million or so but

HOLY CRAP!!! THE SUPERBOWL HAS 150 MILLION VIEWERS!!! WE MUST DO THIS!!!

You must understand a political commercial inside of the Superbowl could also piss off 150 million viewers. The 150 million is worldwide and only US citizens can vote. What if the commercial bombs and USA Today's people meter shows that Ron Paul is a bomb?

Man from La Mancha
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
This has been discussed many times if you would search. The ads are probably sold out, the superbowl does not run political ads. A second blimp is a much better idea and fly over and around the superdistraction which would be much better.

TechnoGuyRob
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
You must understand a political commercial inside of the Superbowl could also piss off 150 million viewers. The 150 million is worldwide and only US citizens can vote.

Worldwide? You wish. No one watches football. Only the US has to have its stupid sport. Soccer is the world's game. :)

JordanL
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I can't find a number to call to see if they have space left.

MrOblivious
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey now, don't go attacking my Football. Wouldn't want to upset those who love the game.

hawkeyenick
12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Keep this idea on the backburner until after dec 16th

You also have to remember that if we drop this too early, the other candidates will do the same to try and steal our thunder (Romney can pay for it with his own money)

KewlRonduderules
12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
You know a good idea for a superbowl weekend commercial would have something like "spammers" in it.

Start with saying across the screen- The TRUTH about Ron Paul Spammers. Then showing a house at first with a Mitt Romney sign in front of it. Maybe a can of spam comes out first attacking a family's computer with positive ron paul messages and the family starts to panic trying to get bug spray and running away screaming around the house. then more cans of spam show up spread around the house, start taking over the appliances and using them at their leisure. Lastly, the spam changes the television channel to the superbowl with a Ron Paul Blimp on it. Finally at the end, the family is converted to Ron Paul supporters wearing Ron Paul gear smiling and watching the superbowl with the spam. (As a touch up, two spams can clink their (beer) bottles together at the end of the skit suggesting mission accomplished).

Or something like that. I am sure it can get more creative to be funny. Maybe time can be bought over that weekend for commercials like this. Not necessarily during the superbowl.

crasster
12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I disagree on US doing the super bowl commercial.

Let that be up to the Ron Paul campaign. 3 million bucks is a LOT of dough. I think with that kind of money should go to the campaign itself.

Projects like the blimp are great. A couple hundred thousand. But 3 million, wow, he only made 5 million last quarter...

Just imagine how many slim jims, signs etc the campaign could provide everybody and local repeating commercials for 3 million.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a waste, but I think that's just too much money for a 30 second spot.

They could literally target the front primary states for a long time for 3 million with prime time commercials. If Ron pulls off a win in 1 single primary, the media will go insane with Ron Paul's name.

I just think 30 seconds, poof 3 million gone. Sure it's a lot of viewers, but 30 seconds is not entirely going to convince people to join in with Ron Paul especially of the light and funny nature of the super bowl commercials.

Not a bad idea though, but I really think we should keep thinking.

Lord Xar
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
you could win 2 states with that kind of money, and keep the message fresh with different 'messages'. I think it has a great "cool" factor, but I just don't know..

Brad Zink
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Has anyone looked into the possiblity of running regional ads during the Super Bowl?

wfd40
12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
This needs to happen...

Can you imagine the amount of "talk time" that the political press corp will give a story like this?? This would easily pay for itself and then some.

Notice how every single article about Ron Paul now mentions - "who raised an amazing 4.2 million in just one day"... December 16th will be next on that obligatory list of things to include in a RP article.

And the last should be the super bowl.

My only worry though, is that the commercial would have to be, without a doubt... AMAZING. Like apple 1984 amazing. If we could somehow get some big time Libertarian Hollywood type people involved in the production side of things... we may just have a shot at putting something TRULY POWERFUL together in time.

The world will be watching and the world needs to know that there are those in America who understand what is at stake right now and are willing to do whatever it takes to see our dreams realized.

Oh and the commerical should be very serious... because what is happening in america .. IS.. very serious

Mark Rushmore
12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
You know a good idea for a superbowl weekend commercial would have something like "spammers" in it.

Start with saying across the screen- The TRUTH about Ron Paul Spammers. Then showing a house at first with a Mitt Romney sign in front of it. Maybe a can of spam comes out first attacking a family's computer with positive ron paul messages and the family starts to panic trying to get bug spray and running away screaming around the house. then more cans of spam show up spread around the house, start taking over the appliances and using them at their leisure. Lastly, the spam changes the television channel to the superbowl with a Ron Paul Blimp on it. Finally at the end, the family is converted to Ron Paul supporters wearing Ron Paul gear smiling and watching the superbowl with the spam. (As a touch up, two spams can clink their (beer) bottles together at the end of the skit suggesting mission accomplished).

Or something like that. I am sure it can get more creative to be funny. Maybe time can be bought over that weekend for commercials like this. Not necessarily during the superbowl.

I like. While "Spam" has been genericized, I'm not sure about the image of the can ... is that free to use?

kevinblack
12-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Here is an article on running political ads on the Superbowl:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/12/AR2007041200337.html

"If I had to put the odds on it I'd say they are one in 10 that a campaign would actually go out and do that," said Evan Tracey, chief operating officer at TNSMI/Campaign Media Analysis Group, a company that tracks political advertising. "Before this Feb. 5 primary, those odds would have been one in 1 million."

This seems to indicate that it is possible to have superbowl political adds (and that it may be a good idea)

If anybody can find out what actually goes into running a Superbowl add it would be awesome (I would also nominate him to head this project *grin*)

JMann
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Worldwide? You wish. No one watches football. Only the US has to have its stupid sport. Soccer is the world's game. :)

You are correct that figure is for the US only. However the number is considerable higher worldwide.

tiznow
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
not worth the effort and you will really have to fight with the networks even if you raise the money

moveon.org tried and CBS said no political stuff during SB to them

here's something i found on them trying to fight the decision

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear MoveOn member,
During this year's Super Bowl, you'll see ads sponsored by beer companies, tobacco companies, and the Bush White House.1 But you won't see the winning ad in MoveOn.org Voter Fund's Bush in 30 Seconds ad contest. CBS refuses to air it.2

Meanwhile, the White House is on the verge of signing into law a deal which Senator John McCain (R-AZ) says is custom-tailored for CBS and Fox,3 allowing the two networks to grow much bigger. CBS lobbied hard for this rule change; MoveOn.org members across the country lobbied against it; and now our ad has been rejected while the White House ad will be played. It looks an awful lot like CBS is playing politics with the right to free speech.

Of course, this is bigger than just the MoveOn.org Voter Fund. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) submitted an ad that was also rejected.4 But this isn't even a progressive-vs.-conservative issue. The airwaves are publicly owned, so we have a fundamental right to hear viewpoints from across the ideological spectrum. That's why we need to let CBS know that this practice of arbitrarily turning down ads that may be "controversial" -- especially if they're controversial simply because they take on the President -- just isn't right.

To watch the ad that CBS won't air and sign our petition to CBS, go to:
http://www.moveon.org/cbs/ad/

(If you want to skip the ad and just sign the petition, click here.)

We'll deliver the petition by email directly to CBS headquarters.

You also may want to let your local CBS affiliate know you're unhappy about this decision. We've attached a list of the CBS affiliates in your state at the bottom of this email. Remember, a polite, friendly call will be most effective -- just explain to them why you believe CBS' decision hurts our democracy.

CBS will claim that the ad is too controversial to air. But the message of the ad is a simple statement of fact, supported by the President's own figures. Compared with 2002's White House ad which claimed that drug users are supporting terrorism,5 it hardly even registers.

CBS will also claim that this decision isn't an indication of political bias. But given the facts, that's hard to believe. CBS overwhelmingly favored Republicans in its political giving, and the company spent millions courting the White House to stop FCC reform.6 According to a well-respected study, CBS News was second only to Fox in failing to correct common misconceptions about the Iraq war which benefited the Bush Administration -- for example, the idea that Saddam Hussein was involved with 9/11.7

This is not a partisan issue. It's critical that our media institutions be fair and open to all speakers. CBS is setting a dangerous precedent, and unless we speak up, the pattern may continue. Please call on CBS to air ads which address issues of public importance today.

Sincerely,
--Adam, Carrie, Eli, James, Joan, Laura, Noah, Peter, Wes, and Zack
The MoveOn.org Team
January 23rd, 2003

Naraku
12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
As far as a superbowl ad I think the following are great ideas for one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ur8F_c5PQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8mMTa79Uzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Med926aDBoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tcUIBsaeGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0DrKjbTvg

The last two are good, but I think they may actually be more like general election ads. The first one is obviously great, however I think the second one would be ideal for a Super Bowl ad. However, it depends on how the primaries are going. If it turns out with Huckabee winning Iowa and maybe South Carolina, but Paul taking New Hampshire, Nevada, and Michigan, it would be better to have the second or first as a primary ad, though the first works for primary or general election. However, if Paul gets Iowa as well as the other states, then it's going to be about the general election more and the last two of the five, preferably the fourth would be ideal.

Here's an article on the possibility of Super Bowl ads:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070412/campaign-media/

Obviously the station decides whether they want them or not, in 2004 two ads were shot down, but it could be done with this.

Wingman
12-07-2007, 02:15 PM
im not sure...

first id have to know all the supporters in this thread are not affiliated with superboawl airtime salespeople or the media outlet in any way....

brandon
12-07-2007, 02:18 PM
It is too expensive.

The only way this could work is if it is funded 100% by people who are already maxed out and sponsor the commercial through liberty advertising or whatever that LLC is called.

LibertyEagle
My only worry though, is that the commercial would have to be, without a doubt... AMAZING. Like apple 1984 amazing. If we could somehow get some big time Libertarian Hollywood type people involved in the production side of things... we may just have a shot at putting something TRULY POWERFUL together in time.

The world will be watching and the world needs to know that there are those in America who understand what is at stake right now and are willing to do whatever it takes to see our dreams realized.

Oh and the commerical should be very serious... because what is happening in america .. IS.. very serious

We need an ad like that anyway. Regardless of whether we can air it during the Super Bowl. So, if anyone has any connections to really get the brilliant and innovative minds in the business working on the concept, it would be wonderful.

angrydragon
According to the AP article that's linked here.

Networks, however, have little choice but to accept ads from candidates, provided they meet the Federal Election Commission requirements for disclosure. Next year's game _ Super Bowl XLII in Phoenix, Ariz. _ will be aired by Fox Sports.

Is there another source that contradicts that?

kevinblack
12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
you will really have to fight with the networks even if you raise the money

Great info!

So it is possible that any Ad that is actually able to rise the money through grassroots efforts is probably not going to be accepted. Any add that has a chance to be accepted by CBS will not be able to get the money.

This is definitely too big for me, and I will let sleeping dragons lie until after the 16th.

Ridiculous
12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
The problem with the idea is that air time for Super bowl Commercials is probably bought way in advance.

kevinblack
12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
The problem with the idea is that air time for Super bowl Commercials is probably bought way in advance.

Does anybody know how to verify this? If there are any hard dates I would like to know.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Running a national network ad would defy a trend in political campaigns to use "micro-targeting" techniques to reach voters with surgical precision.

Forced by strategic and financial considerations, campaigns might forgo a national ad and purchase Super Bowl slots allotted to local network affiliates, strategists said. That would avoid the high production costs necessary to be in the same class with Budweiser or FedEx and their huge advertising budgets.

It would also give campaigns the flexibility to adjust their ads to any shifts in the political terrain and concentrate on states that are in play for them.

Politics and the Super Bowl have not always mixed well. In 2004, CBS refused to run an ad by the liberal group MoveOn.org that criticized President Bush's budget policies. CBS said it had a policy against running advocacy advertising.

Networks, however, have little choice but to accept ads from candidates, provided they meet the Federal Election Commission requirements for disclosure. Next year's game _ Super Bowl XLII in Phoenix, Ariz. _ will be aired by Fox Sports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070412/campaign-media/

According to this article, it doesn't look like it is out of the question. It seems to me though that if we do this, we might want to go with the local network affiliates and target specific states.

Ridiculous
12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Does anybody know how to verify this? If there are any hard dates I would like to know.

Well, there are probably no hard dates. They probably take contracts until all the spots are full. But lots of companies want to advertise during the super bowl for obvious reasons. So, by the time that the money is raised all the slots may already be bought.

brumans
12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
How about a local super bowl commercial in a targeted state?
I wonder how much that would cost.

I know my sisters school (U of M flint) is asking people to make a commercial for them that will air during the super bowl locally (on Fox 66 local channel).

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/extra/2007/12/video_make_a_youtube_video_about_umflint.html

kevinblack
12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
LibertyEagle,

Eyes like an eagle there :) good info.

There is no question that the campaign (and us) need to target local networks, but there are 20 states voting on February 5th.

Best possible scenario would be:
Superbowl ad is announced, this generates buzz
Local ads from campaign running on all 20 states, these will be helped by Superbowl ad buzz
Grass Roots (not the campaign!) Superbowl add on Feburary 3rd. Local adds from the campaign on February 3rd.
February 5th Profit.