PDA

View Full Version : What's up w/ Cruz always saying "I will repeal every word of Obamacare"

ghostofbort
03-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Why not just "I will repeal Obamacare". What's up with the "every word"? He says it every single time. It sounds weird to me. I know (just like Trump) he has also said "repeal and replace" but something just seems weird about him always saying "every word".

Danke
03-15-2016, 08:57 PM
It means he'll replace them with synonyms.

erowe1
03-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Why not just "I will repeal Obamacare". What's up with the "every word"? He says it every single time. It sounds weird to me. I know (just like Trump) he has also said "repeal and replace" but something just seems weird about him always saying "every word".

I think it's necessary to be clear, since so many Republicans have wanted to talk up some little tweaks here and there, or repeal and replace with another version of the same basic thing.

euphemia
03-15-2016, 09:38 PM
He could have done it before now, but he hasn't. He's in the US Senate. Where is the legislation?

Cabal
03-15-2016, 09:50 PM

It's phrased like this to attempt to draw distinction between himself and Trump, the man he's running against right now. IIRC, Trump has said he likes the pre-existing condition part of Obamacare. Cruz is spinning this as Trump wants to keep parts of Obamacare in play, whereas he wants to repeal all of it.

It's just scripted politician campaign talk. He and Trump are both garbage. My advice? Try not to waste too much effort listening to their bullshit as if it's profound or meaningful.

erowe1
03-16-2016, 03:36 AM
He could have done it before now, but he hasn't. He's in the US Senate. Where is the legislation?

He has sponsored repeals of Obamacare.

Here's the latest:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/339

Ronin Truth
03-16-2016, 09:49 AM
And Obama promises to close Guantanamo Bay on day one.

RIGHT! :p :rolleyes:

fcreature
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Because once upon a time this was an issue Republican voters cared about. Now they like Trump and would replace Obamacare with Trumpcare.

euphemia
03-16-2016, 10:29 AM
He has sponsored repeals of Obamacare.

Here's the latest:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/339

Yet, he is running around campaigning for President and not in Washington working to get the legislation passed.

This is when I have to wonder if it's really about what the people want. Cruz is threatening to do exactly what Obama does, and nobody calls him authoritarian.

jmdrake
03-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Yet, he is running around campaigning for President and not in Washington working to get the legislation hpassed.

Ummmm....are you being serious? I don't like Ted Cruz but this is a silly argument that could have been equally used against Ron Paul or Rand Paul. "Why aren't they in Washington trying to get End the Fed passed instead of running for president?" Because as president it's much easier to get your agenda passed than as a senator even though technically the presidency is not the legislative branch. When a president says "I want to pass X", members of his own party are much more likely to rally behind the idea than when a congressman or senator says it. Seriously I feel weird even having to explain this.

Ronin Truth
03-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Isn't that called 'pandering'?

erowe1
03-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Yet, he is running around campaigning for President and not in Washington working to get the legislation passed.

Get it passed by doing what?

If he got elected president, wouldn't that be the single best thing he could do to get Obamacare repealed?

Cruz is threatening to do exactly what Obama does, and nobody calls him authoritarian.

I didn't know there was any question that he was authoritarian. But what is it that he's threatening to do that Obama does?