PDA

View Full Version : Florida sheriff pledges to arrest CEO Tim Cook if Apple resists crypto cooperation

aGameOfThrones
03-13-2016, 06:57 AM
A Florida sheriff has threatened to arrest Apple CEO Tim Cook, were a situation similar to Apple's resistance to government pressure in the ongoing San Bernardino terrorism investigation ever to arise in his jurisdiction.

Last month, the government obtained an unprecedented court order under the All Writs Act, an obscure 18th-century statute, which would compel Apple to help. If the order stands up to legal challenges, Apple would be forced to create a new customized iOS firmware that would remove the passcode lockout on the seized iPhone 5C. Apple has said both publicly and in court filings that it will fight the order as much as possible, and the company has drawn support from many cryptographers, tech companies, and even the husband of a survivor of the attack.

However, when Judd was asked about Apple’s refusal to help create a custom-firmware that would allow the FBI to "brute-force" the seized iPhone 5C from San Bernardino, the sheriff did not mince words.

"You cannot create a business model to go, 'We're not paying attention to the federal judge or the state judge. You see, we're above the law,'" Judd said. "The CEO of Apple needs to know he's not above the law, and neither is anybody else in the United States."

He noted that if his agency were to face locked iPhones in the future, it may result in Cook being put behind bars, presumably under a contempt of court order.

"But believe you me, if I get a toehold in this county and I can get the state attorney's office to prosecute, and a judge to back us up with it, I'll lock the rascal up," Judd concluded.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/03/florida-sheriff-pledges-to-arrest-ceo-tim-cook-if-apple-resisted-cooperation/

DamianTV
03-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Hmm, thats funny, he uses the word "cooperation" but what I see is the very definition of OBEDIENCE.

sparebulb
03-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Boobus is inspired and aroused by this sheriff.

Chester Copperpot
03-13-2016, 09:08 AM
all writs act written in 1789 - good law

constitution written in 1787 - ancient law, no need to follow

if only the constitution was written 2 years later they would follow it...

oh wait the Bill of Rights was passed in 1791 and they dont follow that and its 2 years newer than the all writs act..

yeah ok... kokesh 2020 disband the govt

mrsat_98
03-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Did it all started with a fake terror attack ?

NewRightLibertarian
03-13-2016, 10:50 AM
I hope this pig bastard receives the appropriate punishment for being an oathbreaking worthless coward at war with the Bill of Rights and Constitution, as soon as possible.