PDA

View Full Version : House to vote on declaring ISIL atrocities as genocide

tsai3904
03-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Text of resolution:

H. CON. RES. 75

A resolution expressing the sense of Congress that the atrocities perpetrated by ISIL against religious and ethnic minorities in Iraq and Syria include war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.

Whereas Christians and other religious and ethnic minorities have been an integral part of the cultural fabric of the Middle East for millennia;

That it is the sense of Congress that—

(1) the atrocities perpetrated by ISIL against Christians, Yezidis, and other religious and ethnic minorities in Iraq and Syria constitute war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide;

(2) all governments, including the United States, and international organizations, including the United Nations and the Office of the Secretary-General, should call ISIL atrocities by their rightful names: war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide;

(3) the member states of the United Nations should coordinate urgently on measures to prevent further war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide in Iraq and Syria, and to punish those responsible for these ongoing crimes, including by the collection and preservation of evidence and, if necessary, the establishment and operation of appropriate tribunals;

(4) the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Lebanese Republic, the Republic of Turkey, and the Kurdistan Regional Government in Iraq are to be commended for, and supported in, their efforts to shelter and protect those fleeing the violence of ISIL and other combatants until they can safely return to their homes in Iraq and Syria; and

(5) the protracted Syrian civil war and the indiscriminate violence of the Assad regime have contributed to the growth of ISIL and will continue to do so as long as this conflict continues.

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/FA/FA00/20160302/104596/BILLS-114-HConRes75-R000487-Amdt-097.pdf

timosman
03-09-2016, 11:51 AM
I am confused, shouldn't they be voting on ISIS instead of ISIL?

pcosmar
03-09-2016, 12:20 PM
I am confused, shouldn't they be voting on ISIS instead of ISIL?

Will they vote themselves complicit? will they sanction themselves?

I think not.