PDA

View Full Version : Peeple app "launched"

Pauls' Revere
03-07-2016, 08:20 PM
remember they had something like this in China?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/peeple-the-yelp-for-people-app-launches/

It generated controversy and criticism when word of it first broke back in October, even though Peeple, a people-rating mobile app that's been described as like "Yelp for people," hadn't launched yet. Now, after a number of tweaks to the concept, the people-rating app finally launched today.

Peeple is available to download for free for iPhones or iPads. The app -- which is not affiliated with the popular review site Yelp -- was created by two friends in Calgary, Canada, and allows users to rate other users in three categories: personal, professional, and romantic.

The idea is to provide "a reference check for the people around us," the creators say on their website. "The Peeple app allows you to better choose who you hire, do business with, date, become your neighbours, roommates, landlords/tenants, and watch, teach, and care for your children."

However, the idea of people posting "reviews" of their neighbors, coworkers, dates and others prompted outrage from critics who saw its potential for abuse as an outlet for bullying or cyber revenge. It became a hot topic on social media, where the prolific tweeter Chrissy Teigen wrote, "In an age where both truth and gossip on the Internet can literally ruin lives, this #peeple app is horrible AND scary."

asurfaholic
03-08-2016, 05:14 AM
I agree with Chrissy Teigen - it truly is scary. I have been the target of a woman who would stop at nothing to destroy my marriage after a friendship between her and my wife went south. She had me arrested and made several claims on social media, and also filed a report with DSS. Without going too deep into details, all the accounts were different to some degree which helped me in court. However, as much as people hate court, at least court gave me an outlet to defend myself in.

This app is going to be abused and people's reputations will be ruined..

luctor-et-emergo
03-08-2016, 05:23 AM
I agree with Chrissy Teigen - it truly is scary. I have been the target of a woman who would stop at nothing to destroy my marriage after a friendship between her and my wife went south. She had me arrested and made several claims on social media, and also filed a report with DSS. Without going too deep into details, all the accounts were different to some degree which helped me in court. However, as much as people hate court, at least court gave me an outlet to defend myself in.

This app is going to be abused and people's reputations will be ruined..

Definitely. It's scary.