PDA

View Full Version : Van Jones: I Am Scared of Donald Trump and the Current Electoral Map

AuH20
03-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Wow! How the tables have turned in a few short years...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/07/van_jones_much_more_afraid_of_donald_trump_as_repu blican_nominee.html

VAN JONES: Well, listen, I am much more afraid now of Donald Trump than I ever thought I would be because of what he can do in the Rust Belt. He can go into a Michigan. He can go into an Ohio. He can go into a Pennsylvania and say Hillary Clinton signed NAFTA. I'll tear it up. And that changes the math.

He can go and talk to African American voters. People assume African Americans won't listen to Trump. But the reality is there is a wing in the African American party that's been uncomfortable with Mexican immigration and Latino immigration for a long time --

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- Matthew Dowd for a second. If it looks like Donald Trump is going to be the nominee, though, do you see more Mitt Romneys or more Chris Christies... accepting or rejecting Donald Trump on the Republican side?

MATTHEW DOWD: I think there's the establishment now is probably going to stand back and say, wow, we've made a bunch of bad bets in the course of this and maybe us getting involved with some candidate isn't helpful... I think going to the question you asked Van is -- right now the more -- the more -- the stronger general election candidate for the GOP between the two of them is Donald Trump versus Ted Cruz when you look at the general.

timosman
03-07-2016, 11:24 AM
African American party? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?491226-%91You%92re-Dividing-People-by-Race!%92-CNN%92s-Jeff-Lord-Van-Jones-Blow-Up-Over-Trump-KKK-Flap

erowe1
03-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Van Jones doesn't realize how close of an ally Trump will turn out to be to him.

Ronin Truth
03-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Move to North Korea, Commie. We'll all be happier, then.

hells_unicorn
03-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Trump seems to have all the right enemies, the problem is that he recently insisted on making me an enemy by sticking his finger in Rand's eye on twitter. I was musing over the idea of voting for Cruz when it comes time for my state's primary, but part of me is also thinking about just sitting this one out and watching the fireworks. As big of a mouth as Trump has, he's not going to be able to get rid of Rand for the next 6 years, no one can, and hypothetically speaking Rand would still be young enough to give it another go in either 2020 if Trump does terrible or even 2024 if things go nominally well and he gets a 2nd term.

Back to the long game, so to speak.

AuH20
03-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Trump seems to have all the right enemies, the problem is that he recently insisted on making me an enemy by sticking his finger in Rand's eye on twitter. I was musing over the idea of voting for Cruz when it comes time for my state's primary, but part of me is also thinking about just sitting this one out and watching the fireworks. As big of a mouth as Trump has, he's not going to be able to get rid of Rand for the next 6 years, no one can, and hypothetically speaking Rand would still be young enough to give it another go in either 2020 if Trump does terrible or even 2024 if things go nominally well and he gets a 2nd term.

Rand was the one who went after him like a junkyard dog. It was unnecessary. He never attacked Cruz or Rubio with such ferocity.

Christian Liberty
03-07-2016, 10:31 PM

You should be a good covenanter and not vote ;)

But Cruz is the least bad of anyone running, if you must :p

enhanced_deficit
03-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Mr. Trump, tone down the scary stuff a bit. Even disgraced DGP's cronies are getting scared.

http://crossfire.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/07/van-jones-gates-should-be-ashamed/

Tywysog Cymru
03-07-2016, 10:40 PM
If Trump somehow wins that speaks more to the weaknesses of Hillary than Donald's strengths as a candidate.

Unknown.User
03-08-2016, 12:18 AM

AtlantaIconoclast
03-08-2016, 12:59 AM
Rand was the one who went after him like a junkyard dog. It was unnecessary. He never attacked Cruz or Rubio with such ferocity.

In his arrogance, Rand actually thought he could take on the Trump and win. It was so unnecessary. Does anyone have any inside info on whether Rand is fully aware of the mistakes he made in this campaign?

CPUd
03-08-2016, 01:51 AM
In his arrogance, Rand actually thought he could take on the Trump and win. It was so unnecessary. Does anyone have any inside info on whether Rand is fully aware of the mistakes he made in this campaign?

This is bullshit. None of them on the stage during the first debate thought there would be a Trump campaign by October. Rand was dropping truth bombs on him right out of the gate, when the others were petrified by fear, with Ted Cruz demanding a set of knee pads so he can do the dirty dirty on Trump right there on national TV.

hells_unicorn
03-08-2016, 01:54 AM

The thing is, Rand was essentially right, Trump is a complete control freak. From a realpolitik standpoint, having him as the nominee of the party makes sense at this juncture as he has a massive appeal that crosses traditional lines. Essentially, America is prime for having a control freak run the government, it's a reflection of our present cultural situation, and to a certain extent also among various "dumb asses" (pardon my language) who just like destruction for its own sake.

Rand's principle mistake was not going after Trump, it was thinking that America wanted something better than Trump. Face it, Trump is going to take an authoritarian approach to governance, and if you find yourself on the wrong end of it, it won't be pretty. There are some things he will be decent on, but others which he will be terrible on. People are making comparisons to Andrew Jackson (which sucks if you're a Cherokee or some other victim of the Trail of Tears), but truth be told, what we're probably going to get is a return to old school FDR liberalism, which was part of what got us in this mess in the first place.

Trump will be better than a Clinton or a Sanders, but he will by no means be good. Learn it and live it.

CPUd
03-08-2016, 02:03 AM
Trump showed weakness and fear to "go there" with Rand several times during the debates when he knew Rand would own him on certain topics.