PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional Carry is now law in West Virginia!

Matt Collins
03-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Last year I played a major role in getting Constitutional Carry passed in West Virginia. I was the point man and "lobbyist" for NAGR working as WV Gun Rights. We had a few amazing legislators fighting like hell behind the scenes to get this bill passed too. The Governor vetoed it with cover from Manchin and Bloomberg. Since it wasn't passed until the last day of the legislative session the veto could not be overridden.

This year it was passed with the help of the same legislators and my former protege who did a kick ass job mobilizing pro-gun supporters across the state with the help and backing of everyone at NAGR.

As of July, it will now be legal to openly or conceal carry a firearm without a permit in the state of West Virginia!!!

This is about as much fundamental raw freedom as you can get.

I am very proud to have played a part in making this happen and wish I could have been there this year to assist in the effort to see it all the way through. I congratulate everyone involved, the legislators, and all of my former colleagues at NAGR.

The point I want to make however is that the methods used to accomplish this can be done by anyone who is dedicated to winning back their liberties. The way it was done was electing a couple of good legislators, getting legislation introduced, forcing a vote on the legislation, and then getting enough of the bad guys tossed in the next election that it becomes easier to get it passed in the following years. This was all accomplished by identifying and mobilizing voters who care about this issue and making sure they let their elected officials know where they want them to vote on it. Rinse, lather, and repeat, and victory is the result.

The playbook works every time and anyone can do it if they simply put out the effort and have the resolve.

West Virginia is now more free because of these efforts, and I want to encourage everyone to endeavor to work on similar efforts in their local and state governments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQSLbN96XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9Q4J8q8G8

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Good stuff. Congratulations.

So I have not kept up with this lately. Have to revisit the carry websites. The states I know of where you can carry without state papers are Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Wyoming, and now, W Virginia. I think Wyoming and Arkansas have some exceptions, such as residence. Is this the list? Any more?

Edit: I saw your videos after you added them. Looks like you efficiently packed a lot of speech in a short speaking time. More good stuff!

TheTexan
03-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Your talents are going to waste flying planes.

Matt Collins
03-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Legislature overrides Tomblin, allows permitless hidden guns
by David Gutman (http://www.wvgazettemail.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=staff&template=staffProfilePages&staffID=g030), Staff Writer

It will soon be legal for adults in West Virginia to carry hidden handguns with no training and without a permit, after the Legislature acted swiftly, and against the wishes of law enforcement, to override Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin’s veto (http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20160303/wvs-permitless-concealed-gun-bill-vetoed-again) of the legislation.

Tomblin held a rare veto-signing ceremony Thursday, surrounded by dozens of police officers, to try to convince legislators to let the veto stand.

“I urge you to look around this room for a moment and see that law enforcement are concerned about this bill,” Tomblin said Thursday.

They didn’t listen.

The House voted 64-33 to override the veto on Friday.

And on Saturday, the Senate voted 23-11 to override.

The vote to override was bipartisan in both houses.

“While we completely respect the law enforcement community, we also will always come down on the side of the Constitution and ensuring that our rights are protected,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch Carmichael, R-Jackson, said Friday. “They want the permit process and the training associated with that, which I completely respect and admire their position, but the constitutional authority to carry a weapon is inherent in our Second Amendment.”

Carmichael acknowledged that he knew of no court that had ever ruled the concealed weapons permit process to be unconstitutional. He also said he did not think the current permitting process was unconstitutional.

Tomblin issued a statement immediately after the override, condemning the Legislature’s actions.

“West Virginia’s law enforcement officers have dedicated their lives to keeping us safe and helping us in times of need, and it’s disheartening that the members of the Legislature have chosen not to stand with these brave men and women – putting their safety and the safety of West Virginians at risk,” Tomblin said. “It’s unfortunate that the concerns of officers from every law enforcement branch in the state, including the West Virginia State Police and university campus police officers, have been ignored by today’s action.”
Sen. Corey Palumbo, D-Kanawha, noted that public opinion polling was overwhelmingly against allowing permitless concealed weapons.

“This bill is not just a slap in the face to the governor, which often times many of us are happy to do,” Palumbo said, “it’s a slap in the State Police’s face, sheriffs, municipal police officers and the vast majority of our constituents.”

Sen. Craig Blair, R-Berkeley, said allowing permitless concealed guns would act as a deterrent to crime.

“We’re giving the people the ability to protect themselves without paying a fee,” Blair said. “I can hear freedom knocking on the doors in West Virginia and that’s exactly what this does.”

Two Republicans, Sen. Mike Hall, R-Putnam, and Sen. Bob Ashley, R-Roane, voted with eight Democrats to oppose the bill.

Sen. Mike Woelfel, D-Cabell, had voted for the bill last month, when it was initially passed, but changed his vote and voted against the override, explaining that he was swayed by law enforcement.

“My police chief called me yesterday, my sheriff called me yesterday,” Woelfel said. “I was wrong.”

The bill (HB 4145 (http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_history.cfm?INPUT=4145&year=2016&sessiontype=RS)) allows anyone over the age 21 to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

Those between the ages of 18 and 21 could carry a concealed gun but still must obtain a permit. Some adults may continue to get permits, to allow them to carry concealed guns in states with which West Virginia has concealed carry reciprocity agreements.

The bill provides a $50 tax credit for anyone who chooses to get the training necessary for a permit.

Tomblin criticized the tax credit in his veto message, calling it “ill advised” at a time when the state is facing a budget crisis.

The bill also increases criminal penalties for using a weapon while committing a crime and for felons who illegally carry a gun.

Senate President Bill Cole, R-Mercer, released a statement praising the increased penalties and the tax credit.

“This bill allows West Virginians to protect themselves without the government’s permission,” Cole said. “I am proud of this version, and I am pleased that today we were able to stand up for the constitutional rights our citizens hold so dear.”

The changes will go into effect in late May, 90 days after the law is made official. West Virginia becomes the seventh state to not require a concealed weapons permit.

Reach David Gutman at david.gutman@wvgazettemail.com, 304-348-5119 or follow @davidlgutman (http://twitter.com/davidlgutman) on Twitter.

SOURCE:

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20160305/legislature-overrides-tomblin-allows-permitless-hidden-guns

Matt Collins
03-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Your talents are going to waste flying planes.
Yes but I have to make a living and be able to retire at some point. Also politics is hard on the health, being a pilot requires me to keep up my health.

TheTexan
03-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Yes but I have to make a living and be able to retire at some point. Also politics is hard on the health, being a pilot requires me to keep up my health.

If you're really good at something, don't do it for free.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-05-2016, 12:55 PM
It will soon be legal for adults in West Virginia to carry hidden handguns with no training and without a permit,...

One more thing. Please stop referring to it as a "permit." Everyone here knows that government does not permit anything. They only restrict. I discuss this with people and it takes 3 or 4 shots before they get it. Language makes a difference.

Dianne
03-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Great job !! Congratulations.

Cleaner44
03-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Great job and advancing freedom Matt!

Might I suggest that next time you stand up when you speak?

TheTexan
03-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Great job and advancing freedom Matt!

Might I suggest that next time you stand up when you speak?

Ha

Matt Collins
03-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Might I suggest that next time you stand up when you speak?Funny guy :p

Cleaner44
03-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Funny guy :p

Seriously though, great job. Not talk, but action. Knowledge isn't power, action is!

BREAKING: WV House And Senate Immediately Vote To Override Governor Veto, Permitless Concealed Carry Coming In May
http://concealednation.org/2016/03/breaking-wv-house-and-senate-immediately-vote-to-override-governor-veto-permitless-concealed-carry-coming-in-may/

Ronin Truth
03-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Carrying a copy of the CONstitution is now required, by law? :eek: :p :mad:

brushfire
03-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Well done!

inthehall
03-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Good stuff. Congratulations.

So I have not kept up with this lately. Have to revisit the carry websites. The states I know of where you can carry without state papers are Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Wyoming, and now, W Virginia. I think Wyoming and Arkansas have some exceptions, such as residence. Is this the list? Any more?

Edit: I saw your videos after you added them. Looks like you efficiently packed a lot of speech in a short speaking time. More good stuff!

http://www.opencarry.org/maps/constitutional-carry/

HVACTech
03-05-2016, 11:30 PM

that is actually very good advice!

it serves to allow poor folks to keep their dignity..
and for rich folks to express their gratitude. :)

+rep.

HVACTech
03-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Carrying a copy of the CONstitution is now required, by law? :eek: :p :mad:

:rolleyes:
yes Ronin,
my copy is a S&W .45 ACP. you have a problem with that? :toady:

(I am outta neg rep for you sir) sorry... :(

luctor-et-emergo
03-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Collins, No jokes here, if you had a serious part in this, I've got a lot of respect for you. This actually is a major victory.

That's all fine and dandy as long as people are willing to pay for it. I must say I'm still trying to find a (more) viable market for my skills.

navy-vet
03-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Good job! Now, if you guys can just get something done that will allow the folks living in those hills, to find jobs so they won't have to leave the State.

Matt Collins
03-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Good job! Now, if you guys can just get something done that will allow the folks living in those hills, to find jobs so they won't have to leave the State.
Right To Work just passed this year too.

But I think your key phrase was "living in those hills"..... it's very hard to be productive in WV because there is almost zero flat land.

Matt Collins
03-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Right to Work just passed too..

But the key word is "those hills".... it is hard to have much of anything productive in WV because there is almost no flat terrain in the state.

navy-vet
03-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Maybe recreational and retirement related industries?