PDA

View Full Version : No Paul at CPAC

Libertas Aut Mortis
03-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Rand isn't attending CPAC, nor is Campaign for Liberty, and Young Americans for Liberty will only have a booth, but no voter outreach.

First Paul-less CPAC in 10 years.

1. Is this a good thing? Like seriously, why are we hiding?

2. Does this mean that the War is lost, and we need to retreat from attempting to co-opt the Republican Party?

3. Does this signal that Paul is not interested in anything post-re-election in Kentucky?

Also, Romney....what do you think is going on there? Is he gonna throw his hat in and play mature grown up, is he getting his name out for a brokered convention, or maybe making a play for VP....or maybe something else.

Let's hear your thoughts....

phill4paul
03-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Maybe the Pauls are for term limits for the number of times that someone can win CPAC?

Libertas Aut Mortis
03-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Maybe the Pauls are for term limits for the number of times that someone can win CPAC?

That is why it makes absolutely zero sense. Paul would win. So why not go and put our message back in the public. Make people kick themselves in the arse and say, "darn, what could've been".

Instead we are literally in the blackest political cloud of my entire life. I see no light at the end of this tunnel.

phill4paul
03-02-2016, 02:36 PM
That is why it makes absolutely zero sense. Paul would win. So why not go and put our message back in the public. Make people kick themselves in the arse and say, "darn, what could've been".

Instead we are literally in the blackest political cloud of my entire life. I see no light at the end of this tunnel.

I'd imagine he is tired, a bit pissed off at politics in general and just wants to take a break. Can't blame him.

Libertas Aut Mortis
03-02-2016, 02:42 PM
I'd imagine he is tired, a bit pissed off at politics in general and just wants to take a break. Can't blame him.

Aren't we all? But if you give me a microphone and a televised speech, I'd tear the party a new ass.

openfire
03-02-2016, 02:58 PM

Agreed.

It has to be tough for the Pauls right now to see 8 or 9 years worth of built up momentum come to a whimpering halt. I don't begrudge Rand for sitting this one out.

More importantly, from a strategic standpoint, what is the path forward for Paul and the movement? I think it's impossible to know right now, because to quote Bob Dylan, "the times, they are a-changin" - Perhaps Rand is taking time to re-evaluate the changing political landscape, and see what this country will look like after the elections. Hopefully he will regroup and we will see him at CPAC in 2017 going forward.

hells_unicorn
03-02-2016, 03:02 PM
CPAC will probably be a farce this year, if you don't want to look like a clown, steer clear of the circus.

Libertas Aut Mortis
03-02-2016, 03:28 PM
I was thinking maybe openly going against the party at CPAC could hurt his senate run

CPUd
03-02-2016, 03:29 PM
I was thinking maybe openly going against the party at CPAC could hurt his senate run

There's not a whole hell of a lot he can do to hurt his senate run. He is essentially running unopposed.

georgiaboy
03-02-2016, 03:31 PM
negative ROI

openfire
03-02-2016, 03:34 PM

Seems to be working for Trump...

CPUd
Who is the keynote speaker? That will probably provide some clues as to why Rand is not going.

Libertas Aut Mortis
There's not a whole hell of a lot he can do to hurt his senate run. He is essentially running unopposed.

I just want him to publically get as passionately fired up as I know he is. I know he is pissed. And he knows that the entire Liberty movement is stalling out. Whether or not he likes it, he is the closest thing we have to an elected figurehead. Just give us something.

Step into the shoes and be a leader!

03-02-2016, 04:21 PM
These are dark times. Better to keep your head down now and stay safe.

Romney isn't coming back. Trump is on a path to win on the first ballot.

Krugminator2
03-02-2016, 04:30 PM
I just want him to publically get as passionately fired up as I know he is. I know he is pissed. And he knows that the entire Liberty movement is stalling out. Whether or not he likes it, he is the closest thing we have to an elected figurehead. Just give us something.

Step into the shoes and be a leader!

Rand has a reelection to run. It has nothing to do with stalling out. He just did a couple of dozen Kentucky events and is doing Kentucky press. He isn't doing any national press. He isn't going to do stuff like CPAC. I am sure he is working with McConnell and is running a nuts and bolts Kentucky campaign where he doesn't do anything stupid. Rand will win if runs a fundamentally sound campaign but there are no gimmes, especially with the unknowns in the Presidential race.

unknown
03-02-2016, 04:48 PM
CPAC will probably be a farce this year, if you don't want to look like a clown, steer clear of the circus.

Good point, I take it that Trump, Cruz and Rubio will be attending?

economics102
03-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Folks, if Rand were "burnt out" and ready to give up, he wouldn't be running for another 6-year Senate term, especially since he's almost certain to win.

Voluntarist
03-02-2016, 06:42 PM
xxxxx

Libertas Aut Mortis
03-02-2016, 08:25 PM
It's really, really important to keep doing the same things over and over again ... while expecting different results

So your idea is to do even less outreach then what we did before? Somehow, just disappearing is superior to going on the offensive? I'll keep it in mind while I convince my friends and family that this country is still salvageable.

thoughtomator
03-02-2016, 08:54 PM
The problem here is, if keeping the Senate seat was the priority all along, then Rand kinda oughta let us know that beforehand so we could explore alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHU466wNHUI&t=4m50s

Money quote at 4:50 in the video.

I really think we should be getting some explanations.

Libertas Aut Mortis
03-02-2016, 09:20 PM
The problem here is, if keeping the Senate seat was the priority all along, then Rand kinda oughta let us know that beforehand so we could explore alternatives.

Completely agree.

r3volution 3.0
03-02-2016, 10:08 PM
So your idea is to do even less outreach then what we did before? Somehow, just disappearing is superior to going on the offensive? I'll keep it in mind while I convince my friends and family that this country is still salvageable.

I think the goal at the moment should be to explain the horror of the incoming Trump nomination/presidency, and disassociate from it.

Tell them things aren't salvageable: not without a major change in the thinking of the electorate.

Things are not okay.

Tell them Trump is the anti-Christ (if that's their bag), and this is the end of the world, and have them beak down completely into little quivering blobs of protoplasm.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/233814/544d5c26b8eb4_233814n.jpg

Son_of_Liberty90
03-03-2016, 12:29 AM
I think the goal at the moment should be to explain the horror of the incoming Trump nomination/presidency, and disassociate from it.

Tell them things aren't salvageable: not without a major change in the thinking of the electorate.

Things are not okay.

Tell them Trump is the anti-Christ (if that's their bag), and this is the end of the world, and have them beak down completely into little quivering blobs of protoplasm.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/233814/544d5c26b8eb4_233814n.jpg

But if he's projected to lose to Hillary, business as usual right?

CPUd
03-03-2016, 12:33 AM

That you are even making an issue about this shows that you were never a real Rand supporter.

JK/SEA
03-03-2016, 10:29 AM

perhaps it would be better to get an explanation from you.

thoughtomator
03-03-2016, 10:30 AM
perhaps it would be better to get an explanation from you.

I have explained my position thoroughly, so if you have genuine interest go ahead and read all about it.

tjv123
03-03-2016, 04:12 PM
I heard somewhere that either 2016 or 2020 will be the first election where Millennials will outnumber Baby Boomers. With the rise of Trump, I think Rand must be realizing how much he screwed up by trying to ride both sides of the fence in terms of appearing to be both a GOP loyalist and "outsider" at the same time. People are tired of the loyalists. They want anti-establishment candidates. I think there is a really good chance that after this election Rand would shed the "Republican" label all together, realizing that 2020 is going to be a whole new ball game in terms of the chances of an Independent or New Party rising up. Can you imagine the sickness the Paul's must feel, having to pretend to be a member of the same party as Bush I Bush II Cheney Rubio McConnell Cruz Christie et al?

fisharmor
03-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Outreach? What outreach has been going on for the last four years?
The organizations you think were doing outreach had nothing to do with anyone getting liberty ideas spread.
The only thing I've seen C4L do is try to scare people into donating money.

The Ron Paul Revolution was a grassroots effort to begin with. In June 2012 Rand slit the throat of that grassroots effort. With the Romney endorsement, he let everyone know that establishment politics was what he was going to be doing, and at that moment the revolution died.

I'm sorry it's taking some of you four years to come to that conclusion. But it's not picking back up until someone else comes along who doesn't take a giant dump on the grassroots.

CPUd
03-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Outreach? What outreach has been going on for the last four years?
The organizations you think were doing outreach had nothing to do with anyone getting liberty ideas spread.
The only thing I've seen C4L do is try to scare people into donating money.

The Ron Paul Revolution was a grassroots effort to begin with. In June 2012 Rand slit the throat of that grassroots effort. With the Romney endorsement, he let everyone know that establishment politics was what he was going to be doing, and at that moment the revolution died.

I'm sorry it's taking some of you four years to come to that conclusion. But it's not picking back up until someone else comes along who doesn't take a giant dump on the grassroots.

It should have been understood well before he endorsed Romney that Rand's strategy is to be the bridge between Ron supporters and the mainstream GOP. Ron 2012 after Iowa was about getting the right people into party leadership positions so in 2016 they wouldn't be getting the lights cut off on them or having to run rump conventions in the parking lots. Maybe they could have done a better job communicating that to the grassroots, who are apparently more fickle than expected.

jmdrake
03-03-2016, 05:05 PM

I hate to say this....but this year there would be a very real possibility of a Paul losing CPAC. :( You've got all the raw energy behind Trump. Cruz has sucked up the residual teocon support. Trump definitely has the money to bring in supporters by the busload. The liberty grassroots is disorganized and demoralized. People on RPF are calling the Pauls "weak" on immigration. And Trump has the "He's the anti establishment guy" bandwagon effect going for him. Really that would be a waste of resources for something that is not a guaranteed win at this point and for a campaign that's no longer going on. Everytime the Pauls won CPAC one of them was a viable presidential candidate or at least an obvious future presidential candidate. This just isn't the time. Sorry.

Feeding the Abscess
03-03-2016, 08:58 PM

For context, this interview is from September.

Sunshine_State
03-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Rand is probably helping prepare for the first ever Kentucky GOP caucus happening this Saturday

Aratus
03-04-2016, 04:06 PM
With THESE? :cool: https://store.randpaul.com/index.php/return-of-the-rand.html

r3volution 3.0
03-04-2016, 09:34 PM
But if he's projected to lose to Hillary, business as usual right?

...not sure what you mean.

Badger Paul
03-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Rand's strategy is to be the bridge between Ron supporters and the mainstream GOP.

Looks like that bridge has collapsed. The "mainstream" is so toxic right now its basically a bridge to nowhere.

I mean what does that say about Rand as a politician? He made his bet with the establishment and he bet on the wrong horse. He lost badly because he didn't correctly read what was going on out there. But Trump did and that's why he's winning while Rand has to sit this one out. It doesn't say much for Rand that's for sure.