PDA

View Full Version : Senator wants government to establish size standards (seats) on commercial planes

Suzanimal
03-01-2016, 03:34 PM
A U.S. senator is demanding an end to the ever-shrinking plane seats as he complains airlines are squeezing passengers onto planes 'like sardines'.

Airlines seats have been shrinking for decades as airlines try to squeeze every millimeter of profit from each flight. From a relatively roomy 35 inches of legroom and 18-inch-wide seats in the 1970s, today, cramped passengers can expect an average legroom of just 31 inches and 16.5-inch-wide seats.
But fed-up flyers may have their prayers answered, if a new law requiring seat-size guidelines gets approval.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer is adding an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Bill, which is pending before Congress.

Currently, there are no federal limits on how close an airline's row of seats can be or how wide an airline's seat must be.

'They're like sardines,' Schumer said of airplane passengers. 'It's no secret that airlines are looking for more ways to cut costs, but they shouldn't be cutting inches of legroom and seat width in the process ... It's time for the FAA to step up and stop this deep-seated problem from continuing.'

The bill comes after U.S. Congressman Steve Cohen's 'Seat Egress in Air Travel (SEAT) Act', introduced earlier in February, who is also attempting to direct the FAA to establish minimum seat size standards.

In a statement, the member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee's Subcommittee on Aviation, claimed that emergency evacuation tests hadn't yet been tested on the smaller seats we have on airplanes today.

Schumer pointed to a practice used by some airlines in which passengers are charged more money for seats with extra legroom. He says that 'exemplifies' the problem.

'It's just plain unfair that a person gets charged for extra inches that were once standard,' he said.

However, as politicians fight for more space, many airlines seem determined to keep cutting.

Only earlier this month, United Airlines was reportedly considering plans to squeeze almost 100 more seats onto Boeing 777s adding one extra seat per row in economy - meaning coach passengers would have even less space than before. It would also reduce its business class.

A high-density configuration would see United Airlines install up to 364 seats on each retrofitted plane, almost 100 more than it currently has on many of its three-class 777s.

While last summer, Boeing revealed they planned to shrink their airplane toilets in order to get another 14 seats onto their jetliners.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467800/US-senator-wants-government-set-airline-seat-size-rules.html#ixzz41gnhMxKd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

dannno
03-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Ya, I'll take the cheaper plane tickets.

ZENemy
03-01-2016, 03:48 PM
The first "job" of any bureaucracy is to justify its existence.

GunnyFreedom
03-01-2016, 03:58 PM
What part of "Free Market" does Chuck Schumer not.....

oh nevermind.

tod evans
03-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Airlines already have fat seats it's called 1st class.

Instead of legislating common sense maybe customers, you and I, could refuse to use a service that discriminates against people of normal stature by selling the cheap seats to the obese...

After all those people can afford enough food for a long enough time to get that size, let 'em pay for appropriate sized seating...

phill4paul
03-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Instead of legislating common sense maybe customers, you and I, could refuse to use a service that discriminates against people of normal stature by selling the cheap seats to the obese...

After all those people can afford enough food for a long enough time to get that size, let 'em pay for appropriate sized seating...

But, but, "glandular problems", "It's not my fault that a super meal is only a couple of dollars more and I always drink a 60 oz. Diet cola anyway."

tod evans
03-01-2016, 04:28 PM
But, but, "glandular problems", "It's not my fault that a super meal is only a couple of dollars more and I always drink a 60 oz. Diet cola anyway."

Pony up the coin or walk lard ass.........:cool:

presence
03-01-2016, 04:38 PM
http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/17098491/module/scott/_cp/products/1398355588730/tab-4982d14d-adda-4e56-9daa-1cf32abed919/9dc99c6a-8eec-4863-96f9-053a3b680e66.jpg.w480.jpg

He needs to work on toilet paper next. Have you seen how many sheets their getting in each roll these days? Some of its so thin you have to fold it in half and use two sheets.

tod evans
03-01-2016, 04:40 PM
For under $200.00 a 2/0 X 6/8 door could be purchased to easily size air patrons.

Any contortions to move through the door would automatically qualify super sized fliers for the upgraded cost of first class...........Does that fare still come with drinks and a meal?

Danke
03-01-2016, 04:49 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/airbus-patent-bench-seat-revolutionize-airline-ticket-sales-2016-2

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/56cb283e2e526557008b89cb-480/airbus-bench-seat-patent.png

Valli6
03-01-2016, 04:58 PM
The government should just segregate people again.
We can have higher-priced "fat planes" and lower-priced "normal planes". :rolleyes: No "fatsies" allowed on the "norm" plane!

Suzanimal
03-01-2016, 04:59 PM
The government should just segregate people again.
We can have higher-priced "fat planes" and lower-priced "normal planes". :rolleyes: No "fatsies" allowed on the "norm" plane!

What if you're fat but identify as "norm"?

Valli6
03-01-2016, 05:02 PM
What if you're fat but identify as "norm"?

Demand another special plane for them weirdos!

...Oh, and midg- I mean, really short people - half price!

(Wait, I got more.)

Missing a limb? 25% discount! Another 15% off for each additional absence of limb!

We need to be fair to everyone!
Everyone except smelly people!
It's time we had a real discussion about barring smelly persons from all flights!
We need to find the correct balance between our rights, and protecting Americans!
(Sorry, I spent a large portion of the day reading and listening to the media's Trump-inspired madness. Now I'm INSANE!)

Intoxiklown
03-01-2016, 07:12 PM

Luckily for me, the good Lord saw fit to give me a million dollar metabolism. I will be 42 in a few days, and even now, I can sit, eat packs of cupcakes, and I stay at 200lbs, and have abs.....and I'll break my own finger before I do a sit up...lol.

Anti Federalist
03-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Good.

Airlines have been sucking at the government tit for decades now, bail out after bail out.

Fuck them...lie with dogs and you get fleas.

I hope Chucky Schumer's bill passes and mandates King Size First Class seats everywhere.

Then they can pass a law that says an airline can't charge more than, oh $300 per flight.

Just what Idiot AmeriKa deserves.

Assenholes.

alucard13mm
03-01-2016, 07:22 PM
We encourage fat people to be fat or say its normal.. but yet obesity, overweight, and diseases related to weight problems are on the rise and is a problem. Sometimes some fat shaming is in order to whip them into shape. Shit, simply saying its unhealthy to be overweight is fat shaming lol.

specsaregood
03-01-2016, 07:31 PM
//

Danke
03-01-2016, 07:34 PM
I don't see that as a problem at all. I recently flew on Frontier and it was a really enjoyable flight. They must be one of those airlines he is talking about because they had seats you could upgrade to called "stretch out" seats (extra 40-50bucks); both times I flew, there were guys 6'5"+ stretched out in those seats, they sure seemed to be happy about the airline having those seats available to purchase. I didn't need the leg room those guys needed so I didn't pay. Those seats weren't any wider, they just didn't have a row immediately in front of them.

Also their seats didn't recline which I found great cuz I hate having a seat reclined in front of me.

United started this with what they call "Economy Plus." Business travelers like it too as they can work on their laptops without the screen getting crushed when the person in front of them reclines.

Anti Federalist
03-01-2016, 07:35 PM
I don't see that as a problem at all. I recently flew on Frontier and it was a really enjoyable flight. They must be one of those airlines he is talking about because they had seats you could upgrade to called "stretch out" seats (extra 40-50bucks); both times I flew, there were guys 6'5"+ stretched out in those seats, they sure seemed to be happy about the airline having those seats available to purchase. I didn't need the leg room those guys needed so I didn't pay. Those seats weren't any wider, they just didn't have a row immediately in front of them.

Also their seats didn't recline which I found great cuz I hate having a seat reclined in front of me.

I'm a big man and I pay top dollar at DisUnited in order to keep Premier status for those extra room seats, since I can't beat a First Class upgrade out of them anymore.

It figures Assenhole Schumer would find that distasteful.

Fuck him too.

Danke
03-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Good.

Airlines have been sucking at the government tit for decades now, bail out after bail out.

Fuck them...lie with dogs and you get fleas.

I hope Chucky Schumer's bill passes and mandates King Size First Class seats everywhere.

Then they can pass a law that says an airline can't charge more than, oh $300 per flight.

Just what Idiot AmeriKa deserves.

Assenholes.

That is just false. Taxes (tickets etc.) via transportation funds go to other government projects. After 9/11 very little was actually given to airlines. The biggest airline at that time could not even get a loan guarantee. GM and Chrysler did, and of course the banks got a direct bailout worth trillions. All United asked for was a 1.5 billion loan to stay solvent during the worst downturn for airlines in history due to a terrorist attack.

Danke
03-01-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm a big man and I pay top dollar at DisUnited in order to keep Premier status for those extra room seats, since I can't beat a First Class upgrade out of them anymore..

Almost no one pays for those seats in first class anymore. Domestically, those with the most miles/status get them as an upgrade without using their milelage. And of course internationally you have to us the miles to upgrade.

timosman
03-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Almost no one pays for those seats in first class anymore. Domestically, those with the most miles/status get them as an upgrade without using their milelage. And of course internationally you have to us the miles to upgrade.

I was always curious who flies first class. While I can understand flying business, paying 10k extra for 12hrs in the first class while you could have a nice week long vacation after flying business never made much sense to me.

Danke
03-01-2016, 07:56 PM
I was always curious who flies first class. While I can understand flying business, paying 10k extra for 12hrs in the first class while you could have a nice week long vacation after flying business never made much sense to me.

Some do. But others are on corporate accounts that have contracts that don't pay full fare. And then their are those that use Miles to upgrade.

timosman
03-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Some do. But others are on corporate accounts that have contracts that don't pay full fare. And then their are those that use Miles to upgrade.

What corporate accounts? IRS would be all over those for the inflated expenses.

Philhelm
03-02-2016, 09:05 PM
http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/17098491/module/scott/_cp/products/1398355588730/tab-4982d14d-adda-4e56-9daa-1cf32abed919/9dc99c6a-8eec-4863-96f9-053a3b680e66.jpg.w480.jpg

He needs to work on toilet paper next. Have you seen how many sheets their getting in each roll these days? Some of its so thin you have to fold it in half and use two sheets.

You only need one square.

1. Fold square in half.
2. Fold square in half again.
3. Tear small corner from center of folded square.
4. Open square.
5. Insert middle finger into the hole in the center of the square.
6. ???
7. Remove square, wiping finger clean.